Got the go-ahead to master a Nat King Cole SACD for Audio Fidelity, 1958's "Welcome To The Club"....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nat king cole.jpg In 1958, Nat and producer Lee Gillette wanted to do a jazzy/blues type album with Count Basie's big band. The way it worked out, they got the band but, due to contractual reasons, they didn't get the Count.

So, 1958's WELCOME TO THE CLUB has Nat and (almost) the entire Basie band. It's a swinging album, great sound, great performances and I wanted to do it a few years ago as part of the Analogue Productions disks I was working on. That was not to be but I convinced Audio Fidelity that this would make a wonderful SACD for them to do.

So, thanks to Capitol/EMI, we get to do it. It will be a stereo version, the original 11 album tracks plus the great song "MADRID" recorded at the same time but left off the album due to legal reasons, now resolved and happily put back.

We have permission to use the original Capitol album cover art and liner (Yea!) and the original tapes and what else could a NAT lover want?

Really, it's a great album, it will be at a great price point and it will have that nice, warm vacuum tube sound of the Golden Age of Hi-Fi. Recorded at Capitol Tower Studio B, it's a goodie!

If you don't have an SACD player, don't worry, there is a CD section that will sound awesome as well.

Coming soon!

Kkfan, DLant, art and 28 others like this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

There's a loooooong history of stereo snafus with this title, so this is about, let's see, 55 years overdue!

vonwegen, hodgo, apileocole and 2 others like this.
  3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I think this will be my first Nat purchase.

hal jones and Steve Hoffman like this.
  4. Congratulations, Steve. Maybe you might "use your influence" to remaster onto SACD Judy at Carnegie Hall under the same conditions (Audio Fidelity, Capitol/EMI), as I have been urging for years.

5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Good news Steve! looking forward to this

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yeah.

7. It's great news another Nat album will make it to SACD.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Missed most of the DCC golds except for Love is the Thing so buying this is a no brainer for me!!!And on SACD, too! :cool:

The sound quality is simply astonishing on the DCCs and what a singer he is! He must have been incredibly popular!

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Great news!

10. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

This is really great news! There canĀ“t be enough Nat-SACD`s in this world, mastered by Steve Hoffman.

hodgo and apileocole like this.
  11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would love to see that.

12. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Yay!!! Thanks so much for your work with the Nat King Cole catalogue, Steve. The APO SACDs you and Kevin did sound absolutely stunning. Can't wait for Welcome To The Club!

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Cool. I'm down for this one now that I can play SACDs. :D

apileocole and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

SUPER! :shtiphat:

This is great news to start the new year.

We have lists:D

hodgo and JohnnyH like this.
  15. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I'm sooooo there!!!

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Oh hells yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodie:

17. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Awesome! I have all the Nat AP SACDs and love them all!

sushimaster and nathan dale like this.
  18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

vonwegen likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I do as well and will be looking forward to this title on SACD without a doubt :).

Bill

20. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:goodie: Yessss! My appreciation (as well as my dough) to AF for going with this. It'll be a great addition that adds quality variety to their offerings.

55 years overdue. Incredible, isn't it? But true!

Yup, Nat was truly a household name in the US and huge in many countries internationally as well. Nat was #1 on the first Billboard album chart (Love is the Thing with When I Fall In Love and more) and spent a lot of time in the charts over the following years. Many are most attracted by his melodic and expressive qualities but he was also renown for his uncanny sense of pitch and timing, earning him a place at the very top of the list among popular vocalist. 1957 -1959 was a peak period for him as a vocalist, I feel, as his continued stylistic evolution saw him gaining more bite and overall impact than ever. Welcome to the Club is as fine a showpiece of that as any. And with songs like Mood Indigo, Avalon and The Late, Late Show, it's also a satisfying set of memorable songs.

LeeS likes this.
  21. This is SO FRIGGIN' COOL, Steve!!! Have you also gotten permission from Marshal, Capitol and Nat's family to include the original 3-tracks on the multi-channel SACD layer as you and Kevin Gray did with the Analogue Productions stereo releases? What you two did with those spoiled us for anything less...happy as I can be about this announcement, regardless though...:goodie:

22. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

LOL :uhhuh:

23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have the original UK vinyl of this with a laminated flipback cover, but I'll bet it's mono. I ought to check.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

We need to change your username to "abiggerpileocole". :D

25. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

If it has (most of) Count Basie's big band, it's probably a pretty swinging album, isn't it?

I'll have to admit to liking a few big bands - the Dorsey brothers, Artie Shaw, Bennie Goodman and I've even seen and bought records by the Spitfire Band.

Some are Big Bands and others are called Orchestra's. What's the difference - it it simply the number of players?

Tommy Dorsey and the Clambake Seven was probably seven guys, right? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.