Got the urge for some Grado headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael LeCompte, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael LeCompte

Michael LeCompte Forum Resident Thread Starter

Posted this on AK but would also like it here, since there may be additonal people on this site.

I'm looking at three Grado headphones after receiving Needle Doctor's latest email. I'm looking at the RS2, the SR 325e and the SR 125e. Reviews by Goodcans on the Doc's site said there is little sonic difference between the RS2 and the 325e and may not be worth the price difference. That said, I used to own a set of wooden Grados and loved the sound, but that was quite awhile ago.

Listen mostly to classical, symphonies and female jazz vocalists. So, that said, can anyone give me some insight into which might be a good choice?

2. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I recently bought the Grado RS1e (new model design) They are absolutley amazing. They have a warm sound and solid bass response.

I have a pair of KEF LS50 speakers as my main speaker system. I wanted a pair of headphones that sounded as close to the KEF's as paossible. I tried a number of headphones at my local retailer and once I got these home, broke them in a bit, I swear that if you put on the headphones and the speakers and then toggle each on and off, you can hear virtually no difference.

I was very happy that now if I need to listen in headphones I can get the same enjoyment from their sound profile as I do if I have the full system going. I did swap out the stock earpads to the larger G series because I like the total surround of the earcup rather than the cups that rest on your ears...just a presonal preference...but the different ear cups do not affect the sound as they are made out of the same materials, only larger.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd suggest heading over to Head-Fi to get more specialized opinions. Personally, I don't find them comfortable so that's a deal breaker for me.

Jack Flannery likes this.
  4. Michael LeCompte

was looking at those larger earpads as well as extension cable. Still registered at Head-Fi but they really get "in the weeds" and often overwhelming. Will check it out again, though. Many thanks for the suggestions

O darn--after suggesting the RS1e may have to stretch the budget. Reviews on Needle Doc were excellent and all found them quite comfortable; so may not need those larger earpads

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

The RS2e is great for the price. The RS1e for me was quite disappointing. I thought the bass was weak, and didn't offer a major improvement over the RS1i. The 325e is too bright in my opinion. Get either the RS2e or SR225e (the best cheap Grado you can get).

rodentdog likes this.
  6. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I own the SR 325e and like them very much, but I can't help compare them to the RS2s since I haven't heard them. Some people feel the 325's are a little bass shy, but I feel they are pretty honest to the source. I will be watching your thread since I have been thinking of getting the RS2's if they are a worthwhile upgrade. I have an older pair of 225i's that I almost like better than the 325's, you might want to at least listen to the 225e's.

7. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Listen to them before buying. Grados sound totally unlike any other headphone that I have heard. I was thinking of buying the SR80i so I listened to my friend's SR225, which are supposed to sound roughly similar. I completely hated them and cannot understand for the life of me why they are so popular. Zero soundstage, zero imaging. Hyper-compressed sound and a midrange that was hard as steel. All of the sound seemed to be parked in the inside of my brain. Other people seem to think the world of them. Buy them from a place that has a good return policy so you can audition them for yourself.

8. Michael LeCompte

Certainly will buy from someone with a sound return policy

9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Best bang for the buck: 60s or 80s with easy mods:
    SR60-Mod

I did this to my SR80i's, and the overall improvement was quite dramatic.

10. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

FWIW-I use my Grado's exclusively for rock music and find AKG better suited for classical/jazz. YMMV.

11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Well, those are some Grado opinions. People either love them or hate them. Personally, I really like my GS1000's. I find them comfortable and cool on the head. Just got a pair of Meze Classic 99's and they are hot. Too hot. I have a pair of SR80's and they are a bargain. One thing about Grado's is they do get shouty if played at a high volume.

12. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I have both the 125e and RS2E - I like the 125e’s - maybe a little more neutral than the RS2e. I like the look, comfort (weight) and sound of the RS2e over the 325e...

13. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

The RS2e's are actually the lower version of the RS1e's. The RS1e's have been improved since thier first version. These are the ones that sound amazing now. You know they are the newer version as they are the light tan leather band and upgraded cans

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Put the PS500 on your list to try.
    I haven't heard the new "e" versions of the Grados. With the previous generation of Grados I preferred the PS500 for classical and jazz style music over any of the RS or SR series. The PS500 were smoother.

My general take on Grado headphones is that I would not get a Grado as a primary headphone. The Grado sound is too quirky for daily regular use. The Grado sound can work for some recordings, but not all. You don't want to have a Grado as your only choice because you'll have some recordings that just won't work well with it. Get something like a Sennheiser as a primary headphone. Then get a Grado as a secondary headphone. Similar to how driving enthusiasts might get a 2 seater British sports car for fun, but have a less quirky car for daily driving. The Grados are the equivalent of that British sports car.

15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

... and you get the extension cable for free. :)

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I tried the 325e last week at the shop and was quite impressed (for the record, I have pairs of RS1i, SR60 and Alessandro MS1). Could be worth a listen.

17. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

About 2.5 years ago I went to the Needle Doctor. Listened to the 325e, Nighthawk, and HD700. I went home with the 325e. Initially regretted it as they are very bright. I already had Grado SR125, 325e have more detail and the 125s don't get any use. I use the 325e out of an Oppo HA-2 and it doesn't seem too bright, at least for me. Straight out of my receiver or disc player it is too bright. As far as comfort they are not as comfortable as an HD650, but I usually have no problem listening to three hours of music in a row.

18. Ham Sandwich

The Grado headphones have good detail. But they also have what I call faux-detail mixed in with that real detail. Faux-detail is things you hear in the sound that aren't really there. They sound like detail. But that detail is not really there in the recording. Grados have ringing artifacts from the driver and housing. Artifacts that would show up as ridges in a waterfall plot.

Compare a Grado to a Sennheiser HD800 and a Stax SR-007 and SR-009. Any details or sonics you hear in the Grados but not in the HD800 or Stax are faux-details. The Sennheiser HD800 and Stax SR-009 or SR-007 are more resolving than the Grados. A Grado is not going to out resolve the Senn or Stax. Any additional detail you hear with the Grados is faux.

I understand the allure of the Grado sound. It's neat. I own an SR325is because of that allure. It's an interesting sound to listen to. If I was to buy a Grado now it would probably be a PS500 instead of the SR325 or RS2. But I haven't heard the "e" versions yet and would need to go to a dealer to audition the "e" versions before making a decision. I would be surprised if it didn't end up being the PS500e.

Of all the headphones I own the Grado SR325is gets listened to the least. I pull it out occasionally for fun. But it is never never a headphone I go to for regular listening. For fun I'm actually listening to it now. Because of this thread. I'm listening to John William's Greatest Hits Guitar. Next up will be some Laurence Juber on guitar. That's some of the music and recording style that I think goes well with the Grado sound. My amp is a Cavalli Liquid Fire which I consider a very good amp for Grado headphones. The amp is smooth and spatial and provides a good strong bottom end to the sound which helps keep Grados from sounding bright. Even with that I consider what I'm listening to right now to be quirky. It's fun. But also wrong in a fun way. Similar to a British sports car. Quirky but fun. Not a daily driver.

billnunan likes this.
  19. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I've had a pair of Grado 125e headphones for a few years and really liked them. A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to the RS2e and was amazed at the difference. Everything is so much clearer and detailed. It was a huge step up for me. I listen to them mostly with a dedicated tube headphone amp hooked up to a turntable and that combo is sublime. If I listen to them plugged into my main integrated amp with Spotify Premium, they are a bit brighter, but still nice and detailed. I mostly listen to jazz, acoustical, and some rock.

20. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

if you have a bigger head like mine they can be pretty uncomfortable after awhile. people stretch the headbands out, but that makes them feel like they are going to fall off.

21. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I've had my SR60s 22 years and have never felt the need to upgrade sound-wise. I am not a headphone nut and rarely use for more than an hour at a time, at that point I need relief. Comfortable, no. YMMV.

22. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I have the 325is and the PS500e. They sound close, but I prefer the PS500e. The 325is doesn't get much use anymore.

LeeS likes this.
  23. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I'm not a headphone nut, either, but somehow I ended up owning 3 pairs of over the ear headphones. Sometimes I think about getting a pair of SR80s just for something different, but I barely wear the headphones I already own and spend most of my time using the ones that came with my phone.

To the OP, this is pretty helpful.

Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared)

billnunan likes this.
  24. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

You are looking at a higher price point. At that level you better love them. I started with older 225s then switched to HD600s a couple of years ago.

I haven't plugged in the Grados since getting Sennheiser. Granted i have lower level cans than you are looking at but my point is, try something other than Grado before committing.

ls35a likes this.
  25. Ham Sandwich

I listened to the John Williams and Laurence Juber last night with the Grados and it was nice. Grados and acoustic guitar go together well. Then I decided to try Flim & the BB's "TriCycle". It's a CD that I had just gotten in the mail yesterday. It's jazz. I figured it would go well with the Grados. Nope. Nope. Nope. As soon as the saxophone played my ears went :yikes:. Wow. I cannot even tolerate listening to the music like that. I switched over to my Senn HD650 and enjoyed the album. If I had only had the Grados available that album would have been impossible to enjoy. That is why I do not recommend having Grados as your primary headphone.

ls35a likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.