Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Finch Platte, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou Thread Starter

Absolutely no threads on these guys? That's crazy!

I'm listening to their new one, Revolution Come... Revolution Go, and it's really, really good. I tapered off after their last couple, but I'm glad I bought this one. They've really stepped up.

Be sure to get the copy that has the bonus disc!

Allmusic is giving it 4.5 stars, well-deserved.

In the four-year interim between Gov't Mule studio albums, guitar boss Warren Haynes has been busy: He played on the final Allman Brothers Band tour, paid tribute to Jerry Garcia with a symphony orchestra, issued an Americana-esque solo album, and played on James Cotton's Cotton Mouth Man. That said, no other music he makes resonates in the same way as what he creates with Gov't Mule (co-founder and drummer Mat Abts, keyboardist/guitarist Danny Louis, and bassist Jorgen Carlsson).

Revolution Come...Revolution Go began on election night 2016. The band had their own ideas about the outcome, but as the night wore on, their worst fears came true and influenced the direction of the music here. The title doesn't pin the definition of "revolution" down to one topic, it's a verb, noun, adjective, and metaphor in Gov't Mule's dictionary; it describes everything from trends in music and social unrest to historical events and political and spiritual upheaval. The music here is heavy -- Mule heavy -- but also offers a host of other flavors and textures to expand the palette to dynamic effect. Opener "Stone Cold Rage" finds Haynes' mutating a James Gang vintage guitar vamp to suit Mule's purposes. Louis' swirling organ and Carlsson's distorted basslines are pushed forward by Abts' uncommonly funky breakbeats. The tune struts, swaggers, and pummels. "Drawn That Way" is a thundering blues-rocker that draws down on personal accountability. The musical change-ups here make this a standout. There's the slow, soulful "Pressure Under Fire" -- an exhortation to refute the mistakes of the past with collective tolerance and respect which contains an authority worthy of an Old Testament prophet. Likewise, the gospel-tinged R&B of "The Man I Want to Be," the Muscle Shoals-styled country of "Dreams & Songs," and the gritty, jazzy soul-funk of "Sarah, Surrender" offer different dimensions of the Southern-crusted rockist blues that is Gov't Mule's trademark. The latter tune contains Haynes' finest vocal performance on this or any other record he's been on, and he's assisted by the backing trio of Alecia Chakour, Jasmine Muhammad, and Bobby Allende. The abstract blues-jazz title track is bound to become a live staple for its suite-like structure. Guitarist Jimmie Vaughan lends a hand in adding earth to Haynes' fire on the psychedelic blues "Burning Point." The set closes with Carlsson's arrangement of Blind Willie Johnson's "Dark Was the Night Cold Was the Ground." It commences as a moaning drone, with slide guitar, piano, woozy bass, and rumbling drums, but erupts in a mind-melting, screaming Hendrixian blues overloaded with wah-wah and slide guitars for an apocalyptic finish.

Revolution Come... Revolution Go is easily Gov't Mule's most urgent record, but their call to arms isn't preachy; instead, righteous anger is refracted through the lens of empathy. It is also a fresh reboot of the band's sound, offering excellent songwriting and arrangements; it sounds more like a group effort than anything they've released. The message is that the revolution is within you: Hear it, believe it, become it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Bonddm, piepants, Neelydan and 2 others like this.
  2. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Gov't Mule is a band I'll see live any opportunity I have. I most enjoy jam bands live.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

actually there's several threads but most are closed.

Matthew Tate and Finch Platte like this.
  4. Finch Platte

I'd like to say, while the Mule does stretch their songs out live, this is a concise rock record. There are no extended jams on the Revolution Come... discs.

5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

6. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I'm certain the LP is concise. Yet, I find extended jam sections a laudable offense - and a reason I'd plop down good money and travel to see them. :)

7. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I've been gettin' behind the Mule since 95.
    Seen em' first in 96 & many times since then.

8. Myke

I put them off until 2009, because I knew I'd go after literally everything, and I did. BIG debt that year, because I did the same with Porcupine Tree.
    :help:

Steel Horse likes this.
  9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Loved the original trio.

RIP. Woody.

10. Finch Platte

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

great band, loved em since the beginning. I still listen to the live Roseland cassette they sold at the early shows

j4yheindeo and Purplerocks like this.
  12. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Mulennium and Live...with a little help... are both great Mule with Woody.

Purplerocks likes this.
  13. Myke

Alan, a former Gort tipped me to using Google instead of the search engine here.
    In this case, I used : Gov't Mule > Steve Hoffman Forums
    :tiphat:

uzn007, Roberto899 and Finch Platte like this.
  14. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

I'm with a few of you. They were one of the best bands out there for 3 albums. When Woody passed, they went from an exciting power trio built off of amazing bass riffs to a band following the classic rock formula.

I lost interest after a few bass players, so I couldn't honestly say what they sound like now.. but I STILL put on those three records and the two live albums.

I greatly miss Woody. He was not only an outstanding bass player but played an amazing guitar. Saw him with Blue Floyd when I could.

clhboa, painted8 and allbrosca like this.
  15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Really liking jam bands this past year. Govt Mule is good. Tesdeschi Trucks, Widespread Panic, String Cheese Incident, Dave Matthews Band, Phish. Like all of them. Heard a quite a few other bands that I want to check out on Sirius

piepants and mdent like this.
  16. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

The keyboards really adds to their overall sound imho.

piepants and rodentdog like this.
  17. Myke

JANUARY, 2018 :

Bonddm, piepants and Purplerocks like this.
  18. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I saw the original trio 4 times, they were an absolutely incredible band. I’d never seen musicianship being performed at that level live in person, blew my mind. I’ve been a close follower the entire time, seeing them approx another 5 or 6 times since Woody passed.
    Jorgen now kicks it nicely, imo better, or more suitably, than Andy Hess.
    Got Mule?

j4yheindeo, drift, piepants and 4 others like this.
  19. Myke

Music Fo' Yo' Ass

clhboa, MYQ1, Steel Horse and 2 others like this.
  20. Finch Platte

Umphrey's McGee?

pocofan likes this.
  21. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Forgot them. Heard a band Aqeous or something close to that I want to check out too

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Disco Biscuits

23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

How could I forget Chris Robinson’s Brotherhood. Really like these guys

24. Myke

25. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Fore me the GREATEST band ever.

Myke likes this.