Grand Funk Railroad

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by laughalot, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Great band, played with a lot of heart. But they do have a best-before date of 1971, IMO. The 'good-time' stuff they made after that was pretty brainless, along with the fact their sound had lightened-up somewhat. Too much of what came after was forgettable. The high point for me is the live album. That's the real thing. Things like Locomotion and Some Kinda Wonderful are cringe-worthy compared to what they once were. Sadly that's what most people know about them.

riff2112 likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

They tended to get a little preachy at times too....those tracks don't work so much for me.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  3. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

:thumbsup: (Hear him now, believe him later.)

4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The albums On Time, Grand Funk (red album), Live and Closer to Home are favorites of mine. To a lesser extent I like Survival and Shinin' On. I never did warm up to We're an American Band album, though I love the song. As some of you have pointed out, the Closer to Home album is good from beginning to end. They were very much a band of their time and for a while there in 1970 they were the biggest thing around.

Scott

5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

If you base your opinion of GFR simply based on what you heard on the radio, then you really haven't a clue about the band.
    Their real sound was what was on the early albums before the Rundgren pop production album.
    And what was on most of the GFR albums was not represented by what got played on the radio.
    I defy anybody who ever trashed the guys guitar playing to pick up a guitar and try to play that stuff themselves.
    The guy has a very unique guitar style, aside from getting a unique tone from a guitar and amp. He is an ass kicking guitarist and not easy to copy.
    He also played those great guitar licks without hiding behind a wall of fuzz and distortion.

6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I bought E Pluribus new in the 70's for $4. (or so?) Then traded/sold it in the 80's. Saw it today for $4. Got it for the novelty.
    $(KGrHqZHJBQFEf2EjsS7BRJpMODtU!~~60_12.JPG

7. VicB

VicB Forum Resident

I totally agree. :righton:

gramfan likes this.
  8. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

I also got into them back in 69. I still have On Time and the Red Album.

9. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

My next door neighbor had a Chevy II with an 8-Track player. Many mornings as a freshman in High School, we'd pop Caught In the Act in the 8-Track and jam to Foot Stompin' Music full blast on the way to school... It's still a great way to get ready for the day on the commute in to work!

joelee and Myke like this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, this happens with a lot of bands. I remember mentioning the J. Geils Band to some guy (who generally knew "good music"...) and he said something like
    "oh yeah, "Love Stinks", which is probably one of the worst albums they ever did (imo). Times like that, I wish I could just whip out a few of their early albums
    and just say "not really, check these out..." Oh well, some folks just miss the bus.

11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Phoenix, WAAB, Shinin' On brainless? Lightened up? I will agree that starting with All The Girls In The World Beware things were sliding downhill, but not with the three albums from 72/73/74.

12. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

Just put a needle down on this fine Lp! (Orange Capitol label vinyl) Time to commence my Memorial weekend the right way!!!

13. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Scored a NM Live Album this past week. Had forgotten how great it was. Outstanding!!

Myke and Pendulous Threads like this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Deciding to let inspiration choose my music this weekend, seeing this bumped more than once today, has me pulling out the Past Masters CDs...of course, On Time is first at bat.

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I agree. I'll admit that I always associated GFR with songs like Locomotion for years. A few guys here awhile back convinced me to check out the "Red Album" and I have been a fan since. Some really killer dirty garage blues with a massive bottom sound!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The bong rattling bass of Mel Schrarer

Oliver likes this.
  17. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Stoner Rock at it's best!

keyXVII and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

My wife is from Michigan. She seen that pic and said "I"m getting closer to my home"

19. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I like quite a bit of their stuff but my favorite GFR track is still "Time Machine." And best heard on this OOP Rhino compilation.

[​IMG]

20. Pendulous Threads

Pendulous Threads Well-Known Member

This will be playing this great GF album LOUD and in its entirety at 10:30AM as I continue to rock American style on Memorial Weekend 2013!!

21. David Dalton

David Dalton New Member

Toronto show with Sly

Yeah: I was at that Toronto show too. Long time ago, but as I recall, regarding D,B & friends ( sly replacement). Was it not the case that Delaney & Bonnie had problems & left the stage and grand funk returned to the stage? I don't know it may be I was too stoned but that is my memory that GFR basically stole the show can you shed any light Glen
    Thx
    Dave

22. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

I love GFRR! Have just about everything they have issued

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If one set is all you need for the early years, I highly encourage Mark, Don & Mel.

24. pillboy

pillboy Active Member

Mine too. My first recollection of hearing about sweet, sweet Connie...and wondering...as it was way before The Google.

25. Yes, that set is great. I prefer the sound quality even slightly over the highly regarded 1st Japanese pressings (Pastmasters etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.