Grateful Dead 2018 Peggy-O Funiculi Funicula Four Tournament

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bmoregnr, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It only let me edit the last one. Sorry, Bmoregnr!

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

#1 4/1/91
    #2 5/19/74
    #3 5/7/77
    #4 7/3/78
    #5 10/18/89
    #6 10/1/77
    #7 3/27/93
    #8 5/19/77
    #9 10/18/78
    #10 6/17/75

adamos, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident Thread Starter

No worries I focus on the dates not the game numbers so you’re a-ok.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. bzfgt

@Ezzie , that's a good idea--I think it will make things easier for Bmoregnr if we include a summative post of all our results at the end of the round. I'm not saying everyone has to but if you want to it would be helpful, and it also lets you see what you did in one place.

FINAL SCORES

1. 4/1/91
    2. 8/3/82
    3. 6/26/94
    4. 5/15/80
    5. 10/18/89
    6. 10/1/77
    7. 3/27/93
    8. 5/6/80
    9. 10/14/76
    10. 12/28/91

bmoregnr, ianuaditis and SBegonias17 like this.
  5. bzfgt

i vote like a Touch-head...I wonder if I chose the later version every time!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Ezzie and SBegonias17 like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I would think that this approach would make double-counting far more likely.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. bzfgt

Well you have a point--if everyone does it it would be perfect, but if only some people do and some don't it could actually make things more difficult for Bmoregnr. But I think this can be solved--first, he should count the people who posted a list. Next, he should list those who did not, and count only theirs. There's a little work involved in listing the people who didn't, but he probably has to make a list of everyone anyway in order to count systematically, so I think this idea will work.

Archtop likes this.
  8. Archtop

Well, you're correct there: either way, it involves some work and a systematic approach to gettin' the numbers right. At the end of the day, it ought to be Duke vs. Huntington, so maybe it really doesn't matter any way.

Ezzie and bzfgt like this.
  9. bzfgt

You're absolutely correct about the final two, funny they're a week apart. And Huntington clearly wins, although in a universe where it didn't exist we'd think Duke was as good as the song could possibly be played. It just shows we should be humble and cautious in our surmises about possible worlds...

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  10. Archtop

I have a predisposed leaning toward the Duke version, so gloves are off! Then again, if there are other worlds, neither may make the finals. I mean, it's possible.

I would add that I'm currently immersed in Jey Tsong-kha-pa's Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment, so the existence of things we can't yet quite comprehend isn't so fanciful.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    trumpet sounds and ianuaditis like this.
  11. bzfgt

Or the existence of things we can never comprehend, like what it's like to be a bat...I don't share your qualia, but unlike the case of the bat, presumably ours aren't different in kind. So I have hope that you will see that you've been mesmerized by the video, and realize that if there were a similar video for 4/16 that'd set things in the correct order again...

Archtop likes this.
  12. Archtop

I was a bat in a previous life, then a wolf, then an Alligator Nash Strat. The viddy doesn't make the case. But I will certainly keep an open mind, as this play-in round has taught me.

bzfgt likes this.
  13. bzfgt

Also we should make a rule that you can't watch the video when evaluating Duke. It's still second best in the whole competition, mind you, which is quite exalted.

SBegonias17 and Archtop like this.
  14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Listening on the phone while my toddler has joined us in bed, so no notes:

Final Score, Game 5: 5/6/78
    Final Score, Game 6: 9/18/74

15. SBegonias17

Final Score, Game 7: 3/27/93

bzfgt likes this.
  16. bzfgt

All except bout 9, and only two years separates those (I'm definitely surprised I picked something from 1976 over something from 1978, though). Although some of them seemed like upsets at the time, in retrospect it all seems rather predictable, since there's such a clear pattern (although it's a smallish sample).

ianuaditis and SBegonias17 like this.
  17. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

....Aaaaand, here are my final three final scores in round one of this tourney:

10/1/77 - this one really was a difficult one for me. I finally go with the 77 version, though in a way I'm drawn a bit more to the mellowed, but sorta unremarkable, 74 version. I think part of my reticence is that sometimes that plodding Keith keyboard tone from late 77 just gets in the way. But Jerry sure sounds fine.

10/18/78 - talk about a tight matchup. I definitely like the 76 version a lot, but ultimately I thought the solo in this hometown 78 outing takes the ribbon.

12/28/91 - an upset victory! I was prepared to prefer 6/17/75, which had been (many years ago) the first slow early Peggy-O I ever had on tape. And it's always been a bit of a favorite. But as others have said, Phil really puts the 91 version over the top. And in a way, I think it's entirely appropriate, even in this oh-so Jerry-focused tournament, that Mr.Lesh, always Garcia's great musical foil and partner, should tilt the balance on this match up. Long live the GD.

18. bmoregnr

Kind of an upset for me but Final Score 6-26-94 UNLV wins for me;

A good team effort from the winner, I like the guitar tone changes in it, and Jerry is on point well in this one; 5-7-77 seems to get lost a bit, and a few clams in the chowder has the star fouling out of the game giving UNLV an opening they take to squeak it out.

19. bmoregnr

Final Score 5-15-80 Nassau in a pretty easy win. 7-3-78 was a little shouty and seemed to be going for a Johnny B. Goode rocker vibe that didn't work too well for me. Bobby was much better in Nassau. I also liked what Brent was doing in the Nassau, although Keith was nice as well.

Crispy Rob, SBegonias17 and adamos like this.
  20. bmoregnr

Yikes what is Bobby doing on 10-18-89 Spectrum? I think that is him; perhaps it is gear failure, but it is almost unmusical. Jerry is pretty nice in the Spectrum but 5-6-78 U of VT is very nice indeed on its own anyway, and comes across like a whole complete novel all rolled into one song.

Final Score 5-6-78 U of VT wins running away with it in the end as Spectrum had to throw up too many bad shots trying to play catch up.

Crispy Rob, SBegonias17 and adamos like this.
  21. bmoregnr

Game six Dijon v. Portland was a colossal battle, two extremely worthy high seeds. Portland came out on the court first and Phil was phenomenal in that one, Mickey was very nice as well. Jerry's first solo was absolutely spot on perfect, his second solo left the door open just a bit though. Dijon has a great unique Jerry guitar start, and Jerry really emphasizes and open country picking style; very un-Wolf sounding. Keith shines a bit more maybe because of the more tuneful piano; Phil is pretty much just as great here as in Portland; Billy is very nice as well; Bobby gels things nicely.

I felt the Portland soundboard was really not showcasing Jerry's voice properly so I went to an AUD of it for some overtime. Oh this was a tough one, and I am going to sorely miss that Portland slamin' jammin' first solo, but the Dijon was just more of a better all-around showcase presentation of the song, and Jerry's approach is unique enough if never quite meeting the heights of Portand's first solo to win this very very tight affair. Final Score 9-18-74 Dijon

adamos, Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  22. SBegonias17

Game 8 Summary:

05/09/77: GSTL
    05/06/80: RT3.4

In assessing these, I am looking at three main factors: Jerry's vocals, the guitar solo, and general band performance.

Vocals: For 5/9/77, Jerry's voice is sweet, but a little reverby. No real flubs. For 5/6, there's a little more age on Jerry's voice, but it still has that sweet sound to it. There feels to be a little more passion to his phrasing of the lyrics on this one. I think I give 5/6 a slight advantage here, but the two are definitely comparable.

Guitar Solo: On 5/9/77, the solo kicks in around the 3:48 mark. Elegant is probably the word best used to describe this one - the phrasing is gorgeous and Jerry really plays off of the underlying melody/band performance. It sounds very deliberate. The solo on 5/6 starts about a minute earlier, and starts off subtle and likewise deliberate. The final minute or so picks up and is the strongest point of any of these solos. I gotta go with 5/6.

Band: For the Buffalo show, the band is in its usual excellent form for this era. Interesting rhythm guitar work, Phil's bass lines are fantastic, drums come through clear. Keith's notes are sparser than some versions, but well played. Excellent band performance. From the start of 5/6/80, it's clear that Brent's presence is a big difference. Bobby's rhythm work is nice here as well. Phil doesn't come through as much, probably due to the recording. Drum work is comparable. Advantage to 5/9, but not a huge difference and may be more a difference of the quality of recording than actual performance.

Final Score: A very close matchup, but I have to go with the upset with 5/6/80. 5/9 is perhaps better on technical terms (other than the solo) and the recording is miles better in terms of quality, but the emotion of 5/6/80 hit me more this day and that's what gives the edge when it's close.

23. SBegonias17

Game 9 Summary:

10/14/76: Rob Bertrando's AUD
    10/18/78: Charlie Miller SBD

In assessing these, I am looking at three main factors: Jerry's vocals, the guitar solo, and general band performance.

Vocals: For 10/14, unsurprisingly Jerry sounds a lot like he did in the 1977 versions. A very warm, inviting tone in his voice - strong performance. Jerry's voice isn't a whole lot different in the '78 version, he hits everything in the same manner and a similarly warm tone. Pretty much a jump ball on this one.

Guitar Solo: At 2:35, we get Jerry's solo in the 10/14 version, this one has a bluesy quality to it. The guitar almost sings during it. The second solo builds upon the first one, and continues the strengths of the first solo. The first solo on 10/18 is brief and subtle, before the main solo, which is excellent. Slight edge to 10/18.

Band: 10/14 is a little steady as she goes - the band is providing a solid backing but no one really stands out. Keith's work is solid as always and improves as the song goes on. The band is stronger out the gate in 10/18. Drums/Bass are both prominent, in fact the drums may be too prominent for my tastes on this one. Keith and Bobby's work is solid. Slight edge to 10/14.

Final Score: This is the closest thing I have to a tie so far. Both versions have their merits and are, appropriately enough, seeded pretty tight. For me does the difference between Jerry's solo on the two outweigh my slight issues with the band's performance on 10/18? After close evaluation, it does. I'm going to go with 10/18/78 here. This is the proverbial 8/9 matchup in the NCAA tourney, with a strong 1 coming next round. I like both of these, but either one is going to get killed by Englishtown in the next round.

adamos likes this.
  24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I, for one, appreciate the level of attention this first round is getting from the participants, despite the fact that some of the winners of this round will get absolutely demolished in the next round. Or maybe not. I love an good upset.

LucaB, Archtop and adamos like this.
  25. SBegonias17

Game 10

Final Score: 12/28/91

I'm busy at work, so only a brief synopsis, but as others have said, the band's performance on this one shines brightly. Phil's performance is stunning. This one wasn't that close, and this is by far my favorite post-coma Peggy-O I've ever heard.

adamos, bzfgt, bmoregnr and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.