Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I was 15 years into a 30 year Dead hiatus when Jerry died. It didn’t mean that much to me at that time.

KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

College story: So while you guys were blowing off class, I was in grad school upon a time. The boys were playing in Binghamton (12 April 1983) and attending the show was of the utmost priority. The fact that I was teaching a class for the first time ever the next day never phased me. Ah, to be young, foolish, and have a low pH. :angel:

anth67, mmthmj, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Once the ears warm to the sound of this release it shows itself to be a fantastic show. Love it.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I started fifth grade in August '95. Didn't know about the Grateful Dead or Jerry Garcia until 2002 or there abouts.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  5. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

How’d the class go?!?

6. US Blues

Really well, thanks. At least I enjoyed the presentation, it was on Taoism. :tiphat:

7. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Wow, an ‘83 show sold out faster than ‘73-‘74. The tides are turning.

Lol...plenty of holes in this logic but oh well.

Unleash the 80’s.

mmthmj, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  8. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

In that case, the show was more research/lesson prep, eh? :wiggle:

anth67, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I think it’s pretty understandable given the limited quantities available and there is demand for shows from the 80s, given how few official releases there have been from ‘81-‘85 in particular. Hopefully TPTB see this and give us one 80s/90s show a year in the Dave’s Picks series. Particularly since this show is going to be closer to Dave’s 8 than Dave’s 20 in terms of quality.

anth67 and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was 13 in 1995. I didn't know who Jerry was and I thought Grateful Dead was some sort of punk band because of their name. :unhunh:

Claxton, US Blues and KCWhistle like this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I'm actually kind of surprised -- and absolutely delighted -- by how many of us lurking around here are evidently from this same age cohort. I was 14 in 1995. The only conception I had of the Grateful Dead that fall was what little I'd heard at that point and whatever could be gleaned from two books. First was Skeleton Key, which was rather serendipitously left under some unknown kid's desk at school in September when I was cleaning up a classroom at the end of the day. I waited for 15 or 20 minutes to see if it would get claimed, but it's been in my possession ever since.

Second was Goin' Down the Road: A Grateful Dead Traveling Companion, which I bought with my own allowance money not long thereafter. Haven't read the interviews in ages, but I'm planning to revisit them. What made the bigger impact, though, was Blair Jackson's lists of top 10 shows from each year. (Side note: Crazy to see how many of these have since been released.) Perusing those was such a source of mystery and an itch that could not be scratched. My assumption was that I would just never hear any of that music. I wouldn't have known how to go about finding it. We didn't even have the internet at home yet at that point.

I had a Deadhead roommate with a tape collection my sophomore year of college, but had already sort of moved on by then. And now I'm looking at something called the "Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription" thread and marveling at what has happened in the last 23 years.

I woke up at 4am for some no-good reason and laid in bed for a while finishing up disc 4 of So Many Roads -- Death Don't Have No Mercy, Scarlet>Fire, Bird Song, Jam Out of Terrapin. So happy to have eventually reconnected with this band.

anth67, WaterLemon, mgb70 and 12 others like this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Here in Argentina the chances of me meeting a Deadhead were (99%) nil. If we add the fact that I don't listen to the radio, getting to know the band just by chance was just not going to happen. It was not until I got the Zabriskie Point soundtrack (in 2004, I think) that I actually listened to the band (and Jerry by himself). As I had got that release only due to my beloved Pink Floyd, it was in a way an accident.
    I empirically found out that it was not a punk rock act after all. :D

anth67, Cassius, Crispy Rob and 7 others like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was 20 when Garcia died. The book Goin' Down the Road did a lot to get me into the band a couple years earlier.

I never met anyone in college with a notable Dead tape collection, although one of my friends from the later part of those years was a Phish tape collector.

14. E()

E() Cat Herder

My first show was ‘83 and most of the shows I saw were from then until 1991, so I am fine with some 80’s shows in the mix.

15. US Blues

For sure. My only regret is I could not use it as a tax write-off! :biglaugh:

16. John69

John69 Forum Resident

It warms my heart to read the stories of people who didn't see the band live, yet somehow got turned on to them at a later date and are soaking it up. I always thought this music had staying power and these posts here seem to confirm that. Long live the Grateful Dead!

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I was 13 in 1995 when jerry passed but I had actually been invited to a show that year with some guys who lived down the street. they were 17. my parents wouldn't let me go lol

SBegonias17, ianuaditis and KCWhistle like this.
  18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I won't speak for all of us latter-day fans, but for me, although there was obviously something special about the experience of seeing them live, (at the Nexus of the Universe no less) I was already deeply into their 'Heavy Acid Rock' material (Two from the Vault, 3-1-69, etc.) by that time, and realized that what I'd heard on tapes was better that what I saw that night.

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

My first show was their last. Better late than never

mmthmj, Crispy Rob, adamos and 12 others like this.
  20. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone listens to the shows in reverse chronological order. That'd be something.

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Actually, When I bought the 30 Trips Porch Crusher I started with 1995 but I've been skipping around since then.

KCWhistle and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I started at the beginning, then quickly fell down the 1967 rabbit hole, where I got stuck for quite a while.

23. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I am stuck there right now thanks to the live 1967 set on the recent Anthem Deluxe edition. The playing and energy on that show is fantastic

talkingleaf, anth67, laf848 and 5 others like this.
  24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

LucaB, nfmboss666, mmthmj and 6 others like this.
  25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I really wish I could recall the 9/83 shows. I remember there being a smoking HSF for the ages, it's just that I don't recall if it was the one from 9/2/83.

US Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.