Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I was also a young teenager when Jerry died. I had Skeletons and that was about it. (There was only one or two shows I could have reasonably attended and having listened to them I didn’t miss much.) A couple years later I saw The Other Ones at Further Festival and was completely amazed about the scene in the parking lot. Walking out at the end of the show I remember thinking, ‘hey, isn’t this a Buddy Holly song’. Needless to say, I wasn’t super familiar with their live stuff yet.

There is something to be said about seeing certain bands live, but I think if you experience a similar feeling, at really any concert, you can ‘get it.’ Seeing various Dead incarnations at Bonnaroo certainly helped to underline the pull of the music in large venues with 10s of thousands of your best friends. I think it why people love Dead and Co so much even if, in many people’s minds, musically they are not the best of the Grateful Dead repertory bands.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Blue Note, KCWhistle, mmthmj and 2 others like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

2 September- Boise
    6 September- Red Rocks
    11 September- The Downs of Santa Fe

Let us know!

3. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

What a great article....thanks! Kind of like I imagined Latvala to be. You'd have to make this a job to absorb the nuances of that much live music. And Dick did.

The one part that got to me......there's a quick quote about Dick erasing tapes he considered sub-standard. I wonder what material that might have been, and if any shows are completely lost to time as a result.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

He said he erased audience tapes.

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Dear DL2,

As of this release:

2 years since a Dark Star
    2 years since Pigpen

Please rectify both. 8/21/68 with filler from the next night would be a fine choice. Just a thought. Thank you.

6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Pigpen was on 12/14/71 from DaP 26. But I'd buy 8/21-22/68 in a NY minute!

[​IMG]

mmthmj, mgb70, GerryO and 6 others like this.
  7. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Its interesting to hear opinions from somebody to obsessively immersed in the music. I don't have to agree 100%, but its interesting to hear what he thought was special.

anth67, mmthmj, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  8. ducksdeluxe

True, he was there. But he was not at his best. I need some primal Pig.

Claxton, GerryO and dgwint like this.
  9. US Blues

Did you get the 50th A Anthem? Nice primal Pig from Winterland.

mmthmj, Claxton and nfmboss666 like this.
  10. ducksdeluxe

Yup. A nice slice of primal just makes me want more.

mmthmj, Claxton, GerryO and 2 others like this.
  11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm hoping they put that 10/22/67 show on vinyl for Black Friday like they did with the bonus show from the 1st album last year.

LeeGriffin and notesofachord like this.
  12. blackdog68

blackdog68 Forum Resident

I find memories of tours/shows have a way of heavily weighing in on the "that was an underrated year " discussion - at least for me personally. Still, I am very drawn to 87 - even more so than '84, '85 and onward. I think that year was musically solid and consistent. I didn't really care for the midi of 89 and 90. 1987 still had that pure guitar, bass, keys drums - thing. This is all in retrospect, but I would love more "87. I agree with you Crispy Rob!

talkingleaf, Cassius, anth67 and 5 others like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

1986 is easily the worst year of the 1980s, but still has some very good performances. I always enjoy '87 shows when I listen to them, the band was playing well, still had a great instrumental sound as you said (except for some bad keyboard sound choices), although it definitely is one of the least exploratory years of the bands career. There's still some exploration though, for example the Playing in the Band from 9/19/87 MSG. While Bob started using MIDI in '88, Jerry didn't until fall '89, so I find the summer '89 quite enjoyable sound-wise. I think the later '89 and '90 shows are really well played, so I tend to still like them, even if the MIDI effects are more often misses than hits for me. I think the new technology inspired the band, so it was worthwhile in that sense, even if the sounds have dated poorly.

adamos, trd, SBegonias17 and 8 others like this.
  14. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Coincidentally this just arrived at the chateau:

[​IMG]

Looks like I have plans tonight (have not heard this one before)

Cassius, anth67, Doggiedogma and 12 others like this.
  15. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I have put this in my Amazon cart, and then taken it back out maybe a half dozen times over the last week. I have streamed it and know I will like, but so far I have not felt strongly enough to pull the trigger. Will probably see that it sells out, then get all uptight about it and pay more to get it on eBay sometime down the road.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  16. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I need to give that one another try. I can handle just about any phase of Jerry's voice, but apparently Spring '88 is not yet within my comfort zone.

Crispy Rob and footlooseman like this.
  17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

with you on that. went to a few that spring and i cant really recall any standout shows. better memories of summer and fall

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The first set is the gem for me. To Lay Me Down is sweet, tops the Hampton bust-out that immediately preceded it, IMO.

19. Cobra verde

Cobra verde Forum Resident

Hi...Dave’s picks 27 ( Boise state 1983) will be available next Friday ? isn't it ?

Matthew Tate and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

If you think I'm going to break the news, you are wrong.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Wasn't it on a Tuesday when they dropped the DP from 8/25/72? (I know it was a weekday, when I couldn't get away with taking time away from my job to order it.) I don't know if it will be the same week day this time.

22. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

The official release date is 7/27, which means half of us will get it next week and half of us will get it the week after (and our international friends will get it in September).

mmthmj, RiRiIII, Cobra verde and 5 others like this.
  23. US Blues

The anniversary of the Watkins Glen Soundcheck. Nice.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Would have made a great release as well!

US Blues, bzfgt and ronbow like this.
  25. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I'm looking for a chateau, 21 rooms but one will do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.