Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I actually really liked the Help>Slip>Frank from this show. A good length and lots going on...is it as beautiful and tranquil as the 76 / 77 versions? Nope...is it a very good version in a totally different sound that makes for an exciting addition to the setlist? I think so.

And yes, I think lots of people got into the band in the early - mid-80's and therefore have that era held in specifically high regard...it's truly unfortunate what was going on with Jerry at that time, but sometimes they could come out swinging if not nearly as consistently as the 60's / 70's...that's my opinion at least.

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dude. The Dead are a band that thrived on mistakes. They made them all the time. Whats the big deal? No different than going to a show and seeing a line butchered here and there. They missed cues, sang off key, played the incorrect amount of beats on BIODTL. Did that make you think the show sucked and swore never too see them again or buy another note of their music? Its the Grateful Dead were talking about (post-91 shows excepted, har).

trd and David Beckwith like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I had a different experience listening to it sitting outside in the fog overlooking a small beach an hour south of Big Sur last weekend. So clearly YMMV.

Crispy Rob, trd, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  4. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Dude. This isn't the Grateful Dead performing. This is a music release sold by a record company.

6. I’m not sure what the big deal is about offering critique. You can be a loyal fan, support the band, and realize how spoiled we are, while at the same time critiquing a release or the company’s business practices. They’re not mutually exclusive.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

True. I was just offering some food for thought. Musically their hit to miss ratio is very, very good for a band that lived their musical lives on a thin tightrope without a net (intended, lol). Their release schedule is more often than not consistent, but the limited edition model invites resell that benefits the company not one iota. There’s a lot about their business model that make less sense.

Im also a big Zappa fan but their business practices confuse and infuriate me. They also offer overwhelming rewards for my fandom.

Blue Note and ianuaditis like this.
  8. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Do you stop listening to all bands once they change; no Stones after Mick Taylor, or Allman's post Duane or Zappa w/o the Mothers? Tough call, there is a lot of great music even if it doesn't quite reach the heights of previous years.

bzfgt and Dahabenzapple like this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Maybe they can add the missing line on to the next Dave's Picks as a bonus track

Crispy Rob, pablorkcz, zongo and 17 others like this.
  10. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

just drop it in the middle somewhere and let us find it.

11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’m not your typical listener as I’m not a huge historical rock fan. Besides the Dead probably 80-90% of what I currently listen to could described as avant-garde jazz or free improvisation.

As far as the rock bands I’ve liked or loved or like & love, I listen to the stuff that interests me which would be things like the below:

Although I think a few I loved all like Traffic, CCR (except the last one) & Daevid Allen’s Gong of the early 70’s, original King Crimson through Red - even the trio of 80’s albums that some like so much were always meh to my ears. Today I’d never play them.

Allman Brothers with Duane - after is of very very limited interest
    Can up through Future Days / maybe I kind of like Soon Over Babaluma
    Replacements only through Pleased to Meet Me

Back in the day as today I have very limited interest in today:
    Yes probably only through Relayer
    Genesis only through Abacab
    Pink Floyd through Animals - today really only interested up through Obscured by Clouds
    Gentle Giant - through Free Hand - and even that album wasn’t as strong as the earlier records

Bands I like but don’t love:

Roxy Music - first 2 albums with Eno. I kind of liked the 3rd & 4th albums
    The Who - only Live at Leeds and before but not interested in the very early stuff or Tommy
    Black Sabbath - new to listening but I’m sure only through maybe 5th or 6th album will interest me

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    zongo, footlooseman, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Since, as we we all know, the best and most important part of a GD show were those first three songs of the first set. You can always tell how great a show will be by listening to the beginning. If it sucks, don't bother with the rest of the show since it's all gonna be downhill from there anyway.

o_O :yikes: :righton: :cop:

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Actually, for this show, omitting a line is a bonus.

;)

zongo, PassionPlay, Blue Note and 3 others like this.
  14. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Just the kind of advice we expect from someone who doesn't skip "Looks Like Rain"!

ianuaditis, notesofachord and bzfgt like this.
  15. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

It’s unacceptable. No other organization gets away with this ****.

16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Does any other organization put out around 10 live concerts a year in full CD packaging format? I’m not aware of any that come close to that. I could be wrong so am legitimately curious.

17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

King Crimson/dgmlive have put out a great deal of stuff (some with well more than 10 shows in a box), but not with the regularity that dead.net has. In Crimso's case, you get what you get in terms of sound quality (which is highly variable, but they are up front about that, for the most part), but at least the tracks run at proper speed and don't contain notes not actually played by band members.

I don't mind the occasional patch if these other fundamental musts are met.

18. I agree with all of this, and my comment was not meant to be direct to you @Instant Dharma or anyone specifically. As consumers, I think we need to hold them to a high standard recognizing it’s not always possible to meet that benchmark.

Instant Dharma, Archtop and bzfgt like this.
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

For some odd reason I am really happy you are/were a fan of Planet Gong.

20. Dahabenzapple

The great trilogy Flying Teapot>Angel’s Egg>You remain three of the greatest records ever made by anyone. Unlike other music I liked or loved, I still get a thrill when I play these albums.

I Never Glid Before!!!

zongo, ianuaditis, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

YES! The great 'Radio Gnome Trilogy.' Zero the Hero and the Pot Head Pixies. Amazing stuff.

Have you heard Fish Rising by Steve Hillage? He recorded it with Gong after David Allen and Gilli Smythe left the band in '75. It includes some material Gong was performing live in late '74/early '74. And for added fun, Bruford toured with Gong in late '74 (there are bootlegs).

bzfgt likes this.
  22. Dahabenzapple

Had it years ago - I connected a bit but not all the way.

I’ve been looking for a decent priced CD copy of Vive Le Gong (Gong Et Mort) the great reunion concert from 1976. It was a double LP that I played the bejesus out of during my last 3 years of school (79-81). The only non-Daevid Gong LP I liked was Shamal. There is another great live compilation of early 70’s live Gong that was a 2 LP Set.

footlooseman and US Blues like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

You forgot Henry Cow.

And you really should give at least '56-'65 Sun Ra another chance.

24. Dahabenzapple

I’ve got the Henry Cow Live box (earlier concerts) in my cart on Amazon so I’m close to buying it.

I’m still more interested in the musicians that Ra inspired than Ra himself but I’m not done yet.

Still hoping one day you visit down these parts and I’ll bring you up close and personal to a guy like Mark Dresser on double bass.

Actually l think you would like a whole bunch of William Parker’s music.

I’m seeing his “In Order to Survive” Extended Ensemble in a couple of weeks in a fancy jazz club - Dizzy’s at Lincoln Center. William inspired by Sun Ra, Mingus, Ayler, etc. plus Hamid Drake is driving the band. Jazz at Lincoln Center will never be the same!!!

jay.dee, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You should consider giving them one more year, at least:

Live Floating Anarchy 1977 - Wikipedia

zongo, US Blues and Dahabenzapple like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.