Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

10/9 and 10/10 - I’d preorder that Box Set on the first day

2. blackdog68

blackdog68 Forum Resident

So I just figured out how to set HDCD up on the oppo. Wow. Years of being ignorant assuming it would auto play the format. Bonus day!

notesofachord, US Blues and mmthmj like this.
  3. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

My guess is '78. Either 4-15 (only Morning Dew of '78) or 4-16 (highly regarded Peggy-O).

4. SBegonias17

I think those or 4/12 will likely be the next ‘78 entry.

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

It wouldn't be the worst thing if it were any of those 3, and they've got beaucoup spring 78 shows to choose from, but I'm going to hold out hope for something early or else 10/15/76.

ianuaditis, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm holding out hope for a Spring '78 box set, they made this mistake with the Fall of '73, I hope DL2 doesn't mess up again.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. SBegonias17

Oh, I certainly think it’s going to be ‘76 for Dave’s 28. And I think one of the unreleased October shows is highly likely.

RockRoom and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'd put my money on '76 as well.

9. US Blues

Put your gold money, where your love is baby, before you let my deal , go down...

mmthmj, Crispy Rob, RockRoom and 2 others like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

76 will be OK (is 10/15/76 that great? If it compares favorably to either 10/9 or 10/10/76 I’m all in) but they need to back it up with a killer stone cold classic show for Dave’s 29 from 1969 or 70 or 72 or maybe 2/26/77 or 5/4/77.

Plus they need to hit the mark for the 4 Disc Dave’s 30. No excuse for the lack of imagination having the last 2 be mirror images of each other. Look at the quality of the last 6-7 released overall VS. 1 Through 18. No comparison with those releases. Arguably only 1-2 of the first 18 were anything less than very very good. The only arguably marginal shows might be Dave’s 3 (71) & Dave’s 4 (76) but I’m not a 1971 or even a big 1976 kind of listener.

Then again I’ve not heard them so if anyone has any cheap copies!! LOL

Point is - STEP it UP & DELIVER some A1 PRIME GOGD!!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  11. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Hoping for a 1968-69 primal show. Sure we will get something from 76 or 78 from which the Beacon shows and or something from April 78 would be great. As I have stated to the point of redundancy the 6-15-76 Stephen-NFA-Stella (BOAT) needs to be immortalized.

4-6, 4-15 and 4-21 1978 would all be more than acceptable if that is the route TPTB go. Don't forget there are also the Uptown shows from January which could be pulled from though a box would be great.

12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There's also 4-8-78, possibly the best Half Step ever to open the 'country disco' set 1.

The problem with an April 78 box set is what's that going to be, 36 discs? It'd be hard to do chronologically without leaving out the highlights. (e.g. 4/8-4/16 is 7 shows, at least 21 discs.)

They have enough good from that month to do a box and another Dave's Pick or two.

mmthmj, Dahabenzapple and bzfgt like this.
  13. US Blues

The Uptown shows {30 & 31 Jan + 1 Feb 1978} could be curated for a wonderful box.

RockRoom and Dahabenzapple like this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I don't get why we haven't got any winter/spring/summer '71? Surely there must be some decent tapes from that era. I mean the last '71 was really good, but not great. The one before was very sinilar but not as good. Seems strange to me. Late '71 sounds like Europe '72 minus Keith piano. First part of '71 is very different

Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  15. US Blues

Yes, 15 October 1976 is a mucho worthwhile show. Perhaps even more than the Day On The Green shows, it demonstrates an evolution towards the show structure and musical glory of April '78. And the set 2 opener of Eyes of the World > The Music Never Stopped is stunning.

16. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

I agree we need more early / pre-Keith 71. Some really unique and distinctive playing at that time. Possible a Spring 71 Box Set could be in order one of these days after the returned Betty’s have come back.

And I personally really like the 11-17-71 show.

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's a good show, particularly the second set. The Cryptical Envelopment> Drums>The Other One>Me and My Uncle>The Other One>Wharf Rat segue is excellent.

18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I wonder if they would give us 2/22-23/74. I haven't heard them but the 2/24 show from DaP 13 was so good, surely the rest of this Winterland run was great.

19. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

4-17-71! Sold! Brooklyn Bridge, buck and a quarter.

20. Dahabenzapple

Plus we need 2/23/74 as it has the last Here Comes Sunshine

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

They brought it back in 1992. Played it 32 times from 92-95, almost as many times as they did 73/74

22. Dahabenzapple

Last one I’ll ever listen to:(

I think if I tried to listen to one of the later ones I’d be in tears:(

Coltrane811 and ianuaditis like this.
  23. Paul Remesic

Paul Remesic Forum Resident

Didn't Dave mention years ago in one of the seaside chats that there was a returned tape from early 71 that would see the light of day? Can't remember what chat that was or what show it could be but I remember it seemed that MG had the tape and returned it. Either way I agree we could use more early 71.

mmthmj, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I want to argue with this as a knee-jerk late Dead defender, but I never really loved the rebooted HCS. Plus, my defense of latter-day Dead starts to peter out considerably after 1991...

notesofachord and Dahabenzapple like this.
  25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It was a completely different thing in the latter years, not much of a jam.

6-8-74, which I have on right now, is another 74 show that would be a slam dunk pick. That's almost in the 'too famous for Dave's Picks' category, but that didn't stop them from putting out 1-22-78.

adamos, US Blues, RockRoom and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.