Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Mother Mary and Joseph! And it's one of the worst in the series!

Matthew Tate and Erik B. like this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Well, it's certainly sped up, but the performance is pretty good.

ianuaditis and Six Bachelors like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's what I used to think about that show up to last year. I'm sure I still feel the same way :laugh:

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Me, too. The only reason why i bought it was that l went into Pokemon mode (gotta catch 'em all!). I am happy to report that I paid much, much less than that. I think it is indeed the worst of them all, and justification for the touring hiatus. Sweet cousin cocaine laid a cool, cool hand on their abilities.

6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I have to admit I think I've only listened to the big jam.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Three from '83:

12 April in Binghamton. The last show at Broome County, a cozy 5000 seat hockey rink.
    18 June in Saratoga. 1st show at Saratoga, although they were scheduled to play there in '72, the shows got moved to Boston in September.
    17 October in Lake Placid. The last show I attended where tickets were still available at the box office the night of the show. This show was put on by the US Olympic Committee.

11 October at MSG. Honorable mention, a very good show with the St. Stephen breakout.

I lived in Upstate NY at the time, and back then the Dead always played well when they visited.

8. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

The US Festival on 9-5-82 is pretty awesome! :righton:

trumpet sounds and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

For summer '74, DP31 is usually my one-stop shop.

10. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Mahalo. Which recording in the Archive is the best source for this one?

Archtop and US Blues like this.
  11. US Blues

To be honest I have no idea which one is good, I have never found an aud of that show that I like. The Silberman PCM capture gets a lot of attention because it's clean and uncut, unlike cassette version, but has no bottom end at all. I'm still "searching for the sound" on this one.

budwhite likes this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I love those early/mid 80s shows as the band had great energy .... Maybe not fan favorites, but i really enjoyed the lost sailor->saint of circumstance combo that was played on a number of occasions.

US Blues likes this.
  13. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i couldnt fathom it not being part of my collection, anything from seventy four is must have for me worth twice as much if sealed and with that sweet bonus

US Blues and Instant Dharma like this.
  14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The bonus disc is going for upwards of $350 by itself. That certainly cured my OCD regarding having absolutely everything.

As far as I'm concerned this year's box set should be all the bonus discs. That would be a rapier to the heart of the greediest flippers out there. #$%& them.

15. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

And it's on Amazon US for $799 used, $1,399 new. Totally nuts, but for some it has sentimental value and is likely experienced somewhat differently for those of us that were at that show. I can't possibly justify these costs but understand how those with money to burn are willing to pay it to recapture an experience.

Unlike so many of the shows I attended, where I remember so many details; on this one, don't recall getting to it or home from it, but absolutely remember the show and certain moments; mostly the Eyes/ChinaDoll, Ramblin Rose, the Truckn mind-body jam and To Lay Me Down as this wasn't a song they typically did and it was exquisite; actually "dreamy" is the word I'd use. We were also surprised and very happy by the 3rd set.

I'm so happy I haven't missed a subscription and proud owner of every release since Dicks' Picks 1. I really have to catalogue this out so when I move on from this material plane my kids have some idea what's what with all my stuffffffffff.

Cheers -Zafu

16. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

The bonus disc from Landover 74 is going for $300+

That's one disc....

I want it, but I need to wait for someone to screw up and list it for less than it's worth so I can scoop it up, burn it, and then flip it to get my money back.

At that price, I'm nervous about putting it into my computer to rip. One scratch and I'm out $300.00.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

1/26/18

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Ive listened to nearly all of the entire show front to back, this way and that way and upside down and quite frankly, I really really like it. Oh well.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't use the Archive, I use Relisten. Look for this one:

Taper: Rudy Huston
    Transferer: Charlie Miller
    Source: (2) Beyer M160 + (1) Beyer M88 -> Cassette Master (Nakamichi 550/TDK SA90/Dolby B)
    Lineage: Cassette Master (Nakamichi DR-1/Dolby B) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/96k) -> Adobe Audition v1.5 -> Samplitude Professional v10.22 -> FLAC/16
    Description: Hover
    Rating: 4.88 / 8 reviews

There isn't a great deal of difference among the 12 versions there (other than some are just the second set), but on the one I pointed out you can actually hear Phil's dive bomb to the final note of Morning Dew, which was just one of the highlights of that particular Dew.

20. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I bought a sealed copy of Dave's 2 (w/ bonus disc, natch.) a couple years ago for somewhere between four and five hundred dollars (same deal with Dave's 1 as well.) Had to have 'em 'cause I just can't allow myself to have an incomplete set of any series that I enjoy and revere.

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

As much as I find Dave's Picks 2 (with bonus) underwhelming, I wouldn't sell mine for $722.

Further, Rne, Six Bachelors and 2 others like this.
  22. US Blues

I believe the descriptor you are looking for is "over-played," as opposed to "played on a number of occasions." Hence the lack of favor by the fans.

bzfgt, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'd point out that about a year and a half ago I bought a couple of Dave's Picks here in the classifieds for an asking price of $100 each (prices on ebay were generally $75-150 or more, but bids exceeded $100). I was instantly rewarded. There's no need to pay the exorbitant prices on ebay, just post an asking thread in the classifieds here and get 'em for less. I do realize that the market has changed since then, but I think you are better off asking here than blood-letting on ebay.

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I actually bought a used copy of Dave's 3 (10/22/71) on the 'Bay for <$40 total. I think it was in 2013 (the year after it was released). It's simply insane how much the market price has exploded for those early ones in the ensuing years.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I’m getting closer and closer to selling my Dave’s Picks. I need some cash as I am out of work (by choice) for another five months and I reckon I could sort myself out by selling each volume on eBay, which is a bit sad (but would be very handy).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.