Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

In 1970 there are a handful of standalone versions, but its more common as the start of a jam (e.g NFA>Lovelight or NFA>St. Stephen, or at the end.) Unlike 9-10-74, at least a couple of the 'standalone' NFAs from 70 incorporate various other thematic jams like St. Stephen, China Cat, Darkness Darkness, Mountain Jam etc. (or at least elements of those.)

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

"Plodding"? It rips.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Relative to the Alexandra Palace version it very much plods.

warewolf95, US Blues and footlooseman like this.
  4. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

You could then say that any Brown Eyed Women from the 70's plods compared to the ones from the mid-80's. :^) But in all seriousness I'm totally fine with all eras of all versions of songs. Part of what makes the band unique throughout the years and why we keep on keeping back for more.

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The power of the NFA from 9/3/77 comes from the slow tempo.

Often in the best improvised music, power and energy come from slow or even non existent tempos. This long NFA is a case in point within very strong guidelines as it isn’t “out” improvisation in any sense of that descriptor. Slow, sludgy or “plodding” can often be a plus, not a minus.

warewolf95, US Blues, stever and 4 others like this.
  6. Archtop

In this particular case, I find it to be something of a minus. But my favorite Playin' improv of the E'72 tour is from 4/24 and it's taken at the slowest tempo of the tour and I've often described it as "plodding."

7. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I'm currently of the mind that the Music Never Stopped from this release is the rare instance where Garcia is clearly ON, he sounds amazing, yet the end results fall "short" because the band fails to achieve the type of cohesion displayed on the GSTL release. The playing is spectacular, but... (In my best Get Smart voice) "Missed it, by THAT much"

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"I mean, it was pretty good and all, but..."

A bit fastidious, eh?

:righton:

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. David Beckwith

Well, you’re basically comparing it to what is arguably the greatest Music Never Stopped of all time (Buffalo) so any version would therefore come up just a wee bit short. I love em both!

warewolf95 and notesofachord like this.
  10. Archtop

I'm not sure that I'd classify the Buffalo version as the greatest of all time, but certainly it deserves mention in that discussion. The point being made is that usually, when Jerry is on top of his game, the rest of the band is right there as a result. In his opinion, Jerry's on his game and the band doesn't quite match that. I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree, but no matter. I'd nominate the 9/3/77 version as the best of all time, but I also have a massive affection for the 9/28/75 version from the porch-crusher. Not terribly intense, but a really lovely and slinky line from Jer to round things out.

11. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

It would be fairer to compare this Music Never Stopped with the one from 1-22-78.

warewolf95 and superstar19 like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

4/24/78 is the closest competition to 5/9/77 for Music Never Stopped that I've found.

13. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

If you love a ferocious NFA, I highly recommend you give this 15 minute version a listen, from 5/7/79, Lafayette College in Easton PA. (they sure seem to like that first week of May). Me and my buddy drove 90 mph to get there just in time, without a ticket and a sold out 2000 seat gymnasium. We decided to blow off studying for our final the next day and see our first post Keith & Donna show. it took all of 5 minutes to score tickets (it seems they were allowing people to leave the arena and get back in with a ticket stub, so, duh, folks were leaving with extra stubs and selling them). All this contributed to an overpacked 100+ degree madhouse inside, and, whoa! The boys did not disappoint. During space out wanders a familiar figure, an unannounced John Cippolina and, after Phil cranked it up to 11 (or maybe 12!), they launched into one of great NFA's, which I call Who Do You Not Fade Away, since it very much contains elements of a classic Quicksilver Who Do You Love jam ala Happy Trails. John just added so much to the performance that night--if you want to continue, he plays adds some amazing fills to Black Peter and Around & Around. It was one of those nights when the lights came up, you just felt stunned. I probably screwed up the final the next day, but it was well worth it!

Cassius, Crispy Rob, nitsuj and 10 others like this.
  14. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Great story. Love Cippolina.

15. takensorryuser

takensorryuser Forum Resident

I feel the next Dave's release will be the Portland, May '74 show that was just featured on GD radio Marathon yesterday.

GerryO, warewolf95, trd and 4 others like this.
  16. David Beckwith

Possible! Safe to say that show will come out someday. Although I did notice a trend recently: they seem to start off every year with a show from 73, 74 or 77. Makes total sense as those are arguably their most popular years for hardcore fans...so if that logic holds true, 2018 may look something like this:

11-6-77 (already released)
    11-17-71 (already announced)
    (an 80’s show)
    (a 69 / 70 show)

Then to start of 2019 something like 5-19-74 or 5-4-77. We’ll see!

17. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Kind of kicking myself for not re upping for 2018.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Nice catch on the pattern. I think we will get two out of the following: 69, 70, 76, early 80s, 91.

I’m hopeful for some ‘73, but perhaps that will be the box!

19. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Here’s the other random thought, neither of the 71 shows for Dave’s Picks 26 has a Dark Star. The last Dark Star in the series was all the way back on Dave’s 19! That is a big gap!

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

that was difficult to "like"
    we are due for one from 73!

21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If Dave is looking for a great Dark Star with top-notch sound, he need look no further than 1973.

22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'd love for Dave to go primal with a hot and acidic '67 or '68 show.

[​IMG]

23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I'd take 8/21/68 in a heartbeat even with the cuts on the circulating versions.

Set 1

Cryptical Envelopment ->
    Drums ->
    The Other One ->
    Cryptical Envelopment
    Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
    Alligator ->
    Drums ->
    Jam ->
    Alligator ->
    Feedback

Set 2

Dark Star ->
    Saint Stephen ->
    The Eleven ->
    Death Don't Have No Mercy
    Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore
    In The Midnight Hour

alankin1, GerryO, warewolf95 and 12 others like this.
  24. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

When do we think a Box will be announced ?

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Could be any time now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.