Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Haha, I just checked into this thread to ask what people thought about the comp, and whether anyone who went that route were regretting not getting the full box...

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and jay.dee like this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I heard the Comp doesn’t have the 6/22/73 PITB nor the big jam from that show. Worth the whole $200, IMO.

US Blues likes this.
  3. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

This exactly! Good summation Never thought about the 'custom' factor, but you're absolutely right. 72 was the sweet spot for Jerry's tone. Too homogeneous in the late 60s and certainly less raw (for better or wore) after 72.

Every time I think I narrow down my favorite year, I hear a show that makes me reevaluate. Yesterday I was able to listen to the whole of DaP 12 (Colgate U, 1977) on a road trip, and whoa nelly, that's one badass show (Iko > PitB reprise transition being the only clam in an otherwise perfect set).

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It does have the big jam from 6/22. It doesn't have the 6/24 Dark Star, or anything from 6/26.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Which is why people need the Bent Box.

6. Dahabenzapple

Oops - still think despite the warts, it’s kinda nuts not to get the Big Box unless money is an issue. Certainly the Comp looks great and I strongly recommended it to a pseudo Dead fan friend of mine.

7. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Warner Market on Amazon has the PNW box listed for $210, plus $6 for shipping. Don't know if it's the limited/numbered, etc, but it looks like it ships in the bent box.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I’m pretty sure this is going to end up being my favorite box. So many tasty nooks and crannies.

dtuck90, Crispy Rob, thgord and 7 others like this.
  9. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I have finally made it all the way through. With 6 shows, I don't feel like I am able to give each show the attention it deserves. For the next several months, I may only play 6/22/73 and 5/19/74 from the set and savor them.

This was strange - usually I upsample to DSD128 but the 24/192 flac files didn't sound as good as I thought they would. . Listening to the 24/192 with no upsampling sounded better and more natural.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Currently listening to the 6-24-73 Dark Star...a very soft, intimate version...I envision the boys all huddled together around the drum kit watching and listening to each other...not surprising that there are some moments of similarity between this and the Truckin jam from two nights earlier.

anth67, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  11. Dahabenzapple

5/17/74 PITB WAY better the second time.

I just heard some **** I never ever heard from the boys during the second half leading up to the reprise

What’s up with this band?!?!

adamos, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Plus the China>Rider is absolutely astounding. How did I miss it’s brilliance the first time through? Maybe cranking it way up helped. Phil is absolute bonkers great throughout.

DCTaff, US Blues, KCWhistle and 4 others like this.
  13. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I need to revisit 5/17. It didn't leave a super strong impression on me the first time, but it's due for a reappraisal.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  14. Dahabenzapple

I’ve said the following before and it probably only applies to me but after I go real heavy for a few days of hard core free jazz/free improvisation - when I go back to the Dead and crank it way up, I get a listening result and an ability to really zone in on the instrumental interplay and power and force of the band. Energy & vibrations is a big deal for me with improvised music and with The Dead when they are in that mode (68-70, certainly much of the 72 & 74 jams (73 is somehow a different sort of energy/power - it’s almost ethereal), the force of the music at it's peak has the same almost overwhelming effect to my ears as the greatest modern or even what some call post-modern improvisors.

Crispy Rob, adamos, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  15. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Talent, vision, smarts + acid and blow:p

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Nicely said. I love that Alligator sound from '72 especially.

Though I'm listening to the '74 shows in this set now and have to say I'm enjoying the change in guitar sound. Wolf was able to deal with the heavy strings very well and the brass nut and bridge give it a certain vibe.

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

As a counterpoint I must submit that his 78 Wolf sound with the overwound pickups is raw indeed. One of the things that made me re-evaluate 78.
    I agree, I was solidly in the '72 Alligator is the best sound ever' camp but listening to a lot of 74 (and then 78) threw that opinion into question. I think overall between 74 and 78 Wolf is my favorite, but like many greats he's able to get a good sound out of most of his rigs. (I still haven't wrapped my head around what the heck he was going for in 93-95.)

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The Nash Strat is my chosen one. And, on second place, the Travis Bean (that's right, you heard right).

Anyway, as we know, Jerry sounded great even on a badminton racket.

19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

As RNE writes Jerry sounded great on any guitar. But I've come to love Wolf. So much so that four years ago I bought two "Garcia Tribute" guitars from luthier Troy Post that are Wolf inspired though not copies. One is a bolt on and one a neck-through, while Wolf is neither. One has the Garcia pickups, the other set up with humbuckers for jazz. Bodies are a black walnut and maple sandwhich. I love the Wolf design. I actually like the Dead earlier than Wolf the best, but I love a lot of the sounds of the years with Wolf.

20. DCTaff

DCTaff Forum Resident

have to say i really enjoyed the 5/17 show loved the Chine>Rider and the Eyes>China Doll amazing playing all around

21. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Yeah, count me in as another who bought the 3CD comp and now urgently needs the full box.

Off to dead.net I go....

22. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Link, please.

AlienRendel, Rne, jazz_case and 3 others like this.
  23. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Plus -- I'm going to have some technical questions, going forward.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Which Travis Bean?

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Enemy Is Listening