Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Well-played, sir, well-played.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Both! They were not identical, but they both featured that aluminum timbre I love so much.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Can't find the picture now, but of course it was a custom racket named "Bird" :D

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

He also had one named "Trane." ;)

5. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Really been digging Vancouver 74 and Seattle 74 shows from PNW Box. Realize they aren't considered best of the year or even the box but really enjoyable. 5/17 is especially great...Jerry's voice in IMBTR sounds as fresh as you'd expect in 71. Big River rocks and China>Rider through end of the show is top notch material IMO.

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The Bobby vocal screw-up in Truckin’ is rectified by Jerry’s genius high pitched improvised passsge right before Nobody’s Fault.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

This statement can refer to a vast number of shows.

8. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Still haven't gotten around to actually watching it, last few weeks have been hard and very litle time for the Dead but tomorrow will be the day. Should I be scared of what I quoted because as usual I have no idea what you guys are on about.

This was very true and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again on the bluray. Also the bonus footage will be great.

Best regards,

HTRL

9. HardTimesRoughLines

Perhaps it is just the last few weeks of troubles and stress that are talking now but for some reason this really chafed me (and the wrong way to boot :D ).

We've all been stoopid noobs haven't we? And perhaps a few of us also knobs in addition from time to time. Of course the expert will be looking for something new. But we all gotta start somewhere and for most it is somewhere near the bottom of the ladder if being honest and before we are told or shown something and made aware of the fact, it doesn't seem that obvious for us, eh?

Best regards,

HTRL

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Heck, I've been listening to the Dead for two decades (at various levels of listening intensity, of course - the first five years or so were limited to whatever studio and live official releases I could find), and I still feel like a stoopid noob sometimes. See my question about how to tell the drummers apart a few months back. I felt sheepish asking it, but it really has brought a better level of understanding to my listening.

Crispy Rob, US Blues, adamos and 6 others like this.
  11. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Finally getting to the 1974 portion of the PNW box set and man....:whispers: Finance blooze is a cooker.

12. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Mickey is the one who is constantly pointing at you while he plays.

13. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Somehow between receiving the announcement of Dave's 28 and me clicking the link a second later, it has sold out. Oh well.

seaisletim likes this.
  14. HardTimesRoughLines

Can't see how this make you a fool. I sometimes have problems hearing if it is Ronnie Wood or Richards on Stones albums and they are after all almost my favorite band and have been since I was a kid, even if I probably could tell you who wrote almost any of their songs from memory at any given time or which sidemen plays on what songs on any album.

I do however hope that it wasn't that you couldn't tell Billy and Mickey apart on a photo or something like that ;)

Just find this 'noob' talk really condescending.

Best regards,

HTRL

15. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Think I was pretty clear about not having a problem with Dead 101, and about how I generally think it's a good thing when new people discover the Dead.

What I said was that the documentary in particular seemed geared less to old school heads than for newbies, and I stand by that. I also stand by the fact that at least 2/3rd of the film deals with the most tedious details and perpetuates the worst cliches about the band, focusing far too much on Jerry's personal life than on the music or the history of the group. For example: I'm no Vince superfan or anything, but you would think somewhere in the 240 minutes they might have mentioned the guy's friggin' name (or Dicks, or Betty's, or...). Elsewhere, entire albums are ignored, entire years glossed over, so we can hear about addiction and comas for the thousandth time.

16. HardTimesRoughLines

Just often a fairly typical problem of certain kind of experts on the internet that feels the need to talk down the new guy. Sorry that I read you the wrong way and no offence intended. No hard feelings on my end at least.

You are of course entitled to your opinions on the movie (and on newbies also). Agree about the problems with pretty much any documentary or music book for that matter. People are skipped over, great stories forgotten to make it more bitesized. 240 minutes is a rather big bite for most people and I had to cut it down to two parts myself because the time didn't permit me to watch it all in one go. Then again I think that a movie like this can serve as an effective introduction to what the band was about for people like myself because it humanizes it subjects and make them more than drugged up hippies and dancing bears. Almost like the Rush documentary (Beyond the Lighted Stage) that made BOTH my wife and also my mother like the band. Because they were likeable people and not just some crazy prog rock professors.

Best regards,

HTRL

17. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Right!

It felt like a Ticketmaster sale, being online exactly at the time announced and it’s sold out...

18. Just because it’s great art.

[​IMG]

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just listen to Birdie Song, all your questions will be answered. (And if you're wondering, yes, I hate myself for writing that).

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just wrapping up a first listen to 5/17/74 right now and, hot damn, I agree. GREAT China Cat->Rider and Disc 3 is en fuego.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, the Going, Going, Gone, Robbie-Robertson style pinched note sequence there is sublime.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree that no one should be denigrated for being a newbie (I had to deal with that misguided crap back in the day, as probably most of us did at one point, whether it was '68, '78,'88. '98, '08 or 2018), and also thought that Long Strange Trip documentary split the difference really well between providing an overview for the unfamiliar plus some new info/ footage for the old-timers.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It's true, musically. Too bad about the lyrics, though. If I Were A Carpenter is probably less sexist.

24. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Yeah, I wonder if Donna was like “do I *really* have to sing along to this song?” after that initial May tour.

25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

But, see, I feel the same way about “Loose Lucy,” and for some reason that song has always (more or less) gotten a free pass? Frankly, I always liked “Money Money” better (Musically, that is).

Then again, “We can share the women, we can share the wine” sometimes makes me cringe a little too.