Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

that is what i would like to see... but, to each his own, of course!

budwhite likes this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

#32, where a non-Dolby tape was played back with Dolby on. The Richmond '85 show, which had problems similar to #9.

Crispy Rob, JayB, DrLunchbox and 2 others like this.
  3. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am starting to listen to the Miller sbds he put up I think in Dec. ’17 of the DiP 12 shows and yes they seem like a nice upgrade. DiP8 is another one where I enjoy the newer Miller a good bit more. Edit: I agree with DiP 32, I don't think I have tried Richmond '85 yet.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  4. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply to your post. This makes sense to me. The state of the loudness wars is such that I almost automatically rule out any new releases by current artists. I hope it doesn't reach Grateful Dead releases. Most of the recent Dave's Picks have been absolutely outstanding to listen to - we are lucky in that. This should be a spectacular box set.

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Most of the recent Dave's Picks do have some peak limiting on them. By no means loudness war victims, but would sound better without it.

6. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Sold out yet?

7. faz09

faz09 Forum Resident

8. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

nope, guess its a total failure of a release

9. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

maybe they just shouldn't even bother manufacturing it.

giantleech, US Blues and fishcane like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

They should simply give them away.

Imagine70, RiRiIII, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  11. JManPro

JManPro Well-Known Member

Kevin Tobin has done amazing work with some of those videos, worth checking out

12. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Dick's that need fluffing, you ask? Along with the others mentioned, DiP33 is not pitch corrected. I have a hard time listening to it, tbh.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Let's say that only 5,000 have sold at $189 each. Do the math.

Yeeeeeeahh, I'm pretty sure they covered the costs of producing this thing.

ianuaditis and jazz_case like this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Dick's Picks 33? One of the best in the series.

15. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Dave Picks before I stopped subscribing 2 years ago were subpar to Dick's Picks releases. So much so that I preferred the non official versions that I already had. It has made me wary of everything they put out now.

Freebird likes this.
  16. US Blues

Subpar in what manner?

17. US Blues

Kevin Tobin has done yeoman's work on a copious number of video's, and he has made some fine matrices in both 2 channel and 5.1 formats. Kevin is one of a number of selfless human beings who has deadicated himself to the Cause.

budwhite, SBegonias17 and jazz_case like this.
  18. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

19. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Sound quality

Freebird likes this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Have you heard Dave’s 5, 9, 12 or 13?

21. Freebird

I'm looking hard at the 6LP vinyl but with no Big Jams and at least four sides with two tracks, and 3 sides with one track (Peggy-O, US Blues, WRS) it just doesn't look that appealing. No PITB, no Other One, no Dark Star, No Eyes.

22. Freebird

Far less ear fatigue listening to Dick's Picks. I've said a few times here how the Dave's Picks are not the easiest on the ears.

Dreams266 likes this.
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Jeff has definitely started to use a little limiting/compression and bass boost in his mastering during the last several years. Nowhere near loudness wars levels, but not as dynamic as the '90s Dicks Picks or the unofficial traded versions of the tapes. However, it's tastefully done and the improvement in fidelity from his EQ choices and the better tape sources mean that his is still the best version, but YMMV.

I wish that he still used the peak extend feature of HDCD. That would make the mastering louder on portable devices or for non-critical listening, but would playback with increased DR for listening on the proper hifi.

Oh well.

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I think some of my Dick Pks are a little 'muddy'. The Dave's are all very clear. The bass boost I have heard recently is a little disconcerting, but within 'sreasonable level. As a general rule (and shows like #29 or #36 not withstanding) I think the sound quality is better in the Dave's than the Dick's.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I don't want to be a negative nancy or repeat myself. BUT I have to say as one that tries to buy all the good Dead vinyl that's available, I'm not on board for this for exactly all the same reasons as you. You said it all perfectly. The setlist just is not working for me at all. They really should have thought about moving some tracks out of order as long as they weren't connected. It would have made the listening experience much better. Perfect historical accuracy, or $25 or more for superfluous vinyl that you have to keep getting up to flip? I would never spin a side that consists of just US Blues.

It's like the Dark Star on Sunshine Day Dream. Why couldn't they have put those two sides on one record? People who want historical accuracy can run around changing records. I can barely tolerate flipping for the full Dark Star, but changing records just totally destroys the flow! That is a HUGE flaw of that set. I'm getting mad now thinking about it. Terrible decision.

Rant over. I love live Grateful Dead and I love vinyl but they are just not a match made in heaven.