Grease 40th Anniversary 4K/Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I've bought many variations of the movie Grease on home video. From my initial laser disc to a remastered LD, all the DVDs with mini-jackets and such. When the initial blu-ray came out I was hoping we’d finally get the surround track I heard in the theater on its original run. Sadly, we didn’t.

Well, I just checked the 4K disc and it’s on there!!! It sounds awesome! I thought I’d never hear it that way again. I quickly checked the blu-ray and it’s audio has been updated too though it doesn’t appear to sound quite as punchy but maybe that was just first impressions.

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The proper mix is back!

I have a pretty decent surround set-up in my front projection theater and it pays dividends on releases such as this. For the record, the image is hit and miss. The studio could have done a better job, but overall it's nice.

Aren't there any fans of this film or at least the soundtrack? Was hoping more would chime in.

Pizza likes this.
  3. Pizza

I think most folks don’t notice such detail. It’s certainly haunted me for decades! Every release I kept hoping for that beautiful surround mix I originally heard. I was starting to believe that perhaps the movie theater I saw it in had the surround set wrong and it just sounded cool.

It’s a real thrill to finally hear it that way again. They must have done a remix for home video and never changed it all these years until now.

In the early days of video they didn’t even know that the Dolby surround tracks were even passing through to the stereo tracks on laser discs. It was a happy accident.

jh901 likes this.
  4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Members are talking about the new (4k & blu) and old (1998 remix) audio mixes in this existing thread: "Grease" - the pre-1998 audio mix?

jh901 likes this.
  5. Pizza

Thanks! I just read through that.

I don’t think folks realize the difference between the surround mix that was used in the theaters and the various mixes on Home video. The theatrical surround has never, to my knowledge, made it to home video. It’s a MAJOR difference.

I’ve got the original LD and it’s not on there. I don’t believe VHS had stereo in the early days but I could be wrong there.

All the same, the surround track on the 4K is sensational, at least for this long time fan.

Song4U, DetroitDoomsayer and jh901 like this.
  6. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I got mine today...both the 4K and the Yearbook. They are still shrink wrapped but plan to open soon, I don't have a 4K set up but I will play the blu-ray on each one to see if they sound the same. The Yearbook looks cool from the outside with a fake embossed feel to the outside making it seem like a real book. I can't tell if the features on the blu-ray are exactly the same for each release, they look the same just mixed up in different orders. Not sure though. Hoping mine has the Barry Gibb demo of Grease. ;)

Pizza likes this.
  7. Pizza

I’m curious about the yearbook packaging. Let me know what you think of it. I’m on the fence ordering it and/or the steelbook triple feature.

8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Growing up with the blurry, desaturated DVD version of "Grease" - seeing it look so bright and colorful was a revelation. It was like rediscovering the movie.

Shame about "Grease 2" though; they went a little hard on the contrast, so the movie looks noticeably darker than usual, at least compared to the DVD.

9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

What's the steelbook set like? Cheap packaging?

I bought the Yearbook edition but I also want Grease 2 and from the pictures, the steelbook looks nice, but would like to know if it's worth getting in addition to the Yearbook.

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I finally opened the yearbook blu-ray edition and I really like it. I tried to avoid watching any of the you tube video of the un boxing so I would be surprised. It looks cool and it's textured/embossed on the cover to mimic a real book while fake it's still cool looking and it's filled with some nice glossy photos with a really cool one under the discs of the car at the end with John & Olivia. I think they did a great job on the packaging. I haven't had time to watch the blu ray yet but will soon, the theater experiences are still fresh in my mind. :agree:

I'm not sure if I mentioned before but I really wanted an original 40th poster as it was presented in the theaters but at my first showing I spoke to the manager who said they never got the poster. I called another theater about 20 miles from me and they also did not get the poster. So I wrote to Fathom events the week the movie was shown and asked if they had any extra posters...I got a reply that they did not have any but if one showed up they would send me one. So almost 3 weeks later I get a fed ex delivery and I got a mint copy of the 40th Grease poster. Since I never saw one at the theaters I wasn't sure what it was going to look like...I had hoped it might be the original with Olivia on the car holding John's leg but it's the DVD cover. While it's not my favorite cover it will be great for my Grease collection as I have several other Grease posters in storage and of course all my other Olivia memorabilia. :love: I'm happy to own an original 40th poster. Seeing it this large 27 x 40 gives it a bit of an art deco feel. If you notice it only has the 2 days listed, I guess the 3rd day they added was done after the posters were printed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  11. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Bought the steelbook edition - it's really cool and comes in hot pink!

Galley likes this.
  12. Pizza

That’s a pretty awesome poster! Very nice of them to do that.

13. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    MMM and Pizza like this.
  14. Pizza

15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I had a crush on Didi Conn.

16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Pizza likes this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

When I was a young boy I preferred Betty Rizzo! Damaged goods!

18. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

There are worse things you could do!! :laugh:

Pizza likes this.
  19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Pizza and MMM like this.
  20. Pizza

Happy 40th Grease!!

Where’s the cake?

Song4U likes this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is the original theatrical audio on this?

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It has the original 70mm mix. I read a comment on two somewhere noting there were a few minor placement switches within the mix, though I'm not sure if that is true or not, or if so, just in relation to placements on the 35mm mix.

23. Pizza

Basically, yes. It’s as close as we’ll ever get to it. If you’ve seen the film in its initial theatrical run, you should be happy. It sounds great to me and as I remember it.

chacha likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nice. I hated the remix. Loved the original. So they use the different version of the title track and not the single?

25. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Attention all Grease fans....People Magazine has issued a special 40th anniv full color magazine on sale now. I found it at a local grocery store, Publix. It costs $14.00 but well worth it for the content and basically every page is in color. Some nice rare shots as well. It also contains Grease 2. The quality of this is very nice.

So how about a sneaky peek to get the party going?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MMM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.