Great Explanation of Hi-Res Digital benefits, Brickwalling, Compression, etc.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Drew769, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked Thread Starter

I'm not sure where I came across this link (one of the forums), but I bookmarked it and finally got a chance to see the full clip a couple of weeks ago. It's an online blog "hometheatergeeks" and they interview the owner of Ocean Way Studios, Allan Sides.

There is some chit-chat in the beginning of the video about the studio itself (pretty interesting history) but the fun begins a few minutes in when they start discussing hi-res digital versus analog, MP3, CD, etc. Allan establishes himself pretty quickly (at least to me he did) as an expert who knows what he is talking about. His explanation othe whole process, including how he moves back and forth from the analog to digital domain during the recording, mixing and mastering processes is well explained. He also really explains "brickwalling" well - and made me realize just how many people really don't understand these terms when discussing them on forums. Personally, I was merging "compression" to some degree with "brickwalling." I had no idea what a brickwall filter was (or why it is used) until this video. The vital parts probably last 20 minutes or so, then he gets into speaker and equipment discussion (they sell those).

Enjoy!

http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/199

ghost rider and Joey_Corleone like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the link.

3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I thought it was quite interesting to listen to. I have no opinion on what he said though much of it made perfect sense to me.

4. No-Remasters

No-Remasters Well-Known Member

Drew769 wrote: "He also really explains "brickwalling" well - and made me realize just how many people really don't understand these terms when discussing them on forums. Personally, I was merging "compression" to some degree with "brickwalling." I had no idea what a brickwall filter was (or why it is used) until this video."

I had a funny feeling some of you might be confused about the term brickwall - just like compression(dynamic vs data), brickwall describes either an extreme form of dynamic compression or, a harsh type of filter used just above the highest frequency accommodated by a 44.1 or higher sampling rate. This is discussed around 13 minutes into the Twit radio interview link in the orig. post.

Digital audio sucks in that regard: Many terms with multiple meanings(compression, brickwall) and similar terms being used where they shouldn't(bitrate vs bit depth). No *wonder* no one knows what they're talking about [Moderator note: political jab deleted]

The way I(and not just I, mind you) have been using the term brick wall has been in the dynamics sense: Brickwall limiting is the most extreme form of dynamic range compression. It can chop/square off from 2 up to 10dB of the transients in a waveform, which can then be boosted via makeup gain to be almost that much louder, at the expense of musical purity. It is this form of brick walling that I find the most sonically offensive and destructive, and what I have been campaigning against, on here, usenet's rec.audio.pro, and on GearSlutz, alas mostly to deaf ears(pardon that pun!).

So again, two uses for the term brick wall, but both equally valid for what effect they are describing: one, a filter, and the other, dynamic range reduction.

So Drew, you were not wrong in using brick wall in context of dynamic range processing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
    Daniel Thomas likes this.
  5. Here is the Harman take on it

Mister Charlie likes this.
  6. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

A phrase that came up a couple of times in "The Distortion of Sound" that probably sums up the futility of it all is "people don't care".

It will be interesting to see if the little blip in awareness caused by Pono (which 5 out of 6 of my friends at lunch a couple of weeks ago had never heard of) will result in anything but I think we are just in for a long haul of waiting until storage capacity and bandwidth increases to the point that lossy compression is no longer necessary. That day will come, but it won't be driven by people demanding better quality, it will be because there is no longer a reason to do it.

morinix and Mister Charlie like this.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I recently started listening to some .mp3s from the new amazon prime streaming service. Since I primarily listen to lossless files, one thing I noticed about mp3s is that the sound of clapping (audience) sounds phasey and tin-canny. Is that a characteristic of all .mp3s or could it be due to streaming restrictions?

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

LOLs!!11! They tried to demonstrate the sonic difference between lossy and uncompressed audio in a YouTube video that is lossy. :D

On a serious note. The video is preaching to the choir for those of us hanging out here.
    Hopefully the video will inspire those who aren't already in the church to seek out a better listening experience.

As for MP3. It was developed so that audio could be added to compressed video file formats. Video is huge. Needs to be compressed. MP3 on its own for just music playback came later. Lossy audio is still necessary for streaming. Don't quite yet have the bandwidth to do lossless audio streaming to the masses, especially in high res. But the days of lossy as a final delivery format to be stored on a local device or local computer needs to end. Lossy for that use is no longer needed. Download bandwidth and storage space is big enough now. Start with the download codes that come with LPs. Give the option to get a lossless download when you buy the LP. Being forced to get just an MP3 as a bonus after buying an LP is spit in the eye.

Billy Infinity and morinix like this.
  9. Ham Sandwich

That was a good Home Theater Geeks podcast. I like Allan Sides' philosophy and the background about Ocean Way.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  10. No-Remasters

Do you know the bitrate of the files you're hearing that effect on? Fixed or variable?

11. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Amazon auto-rips are 256kbps VBR.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  12. No-Remasters

Might hear some of the artifacts stereoptic mentioned, at variable 256, esp. on more complex passages.

I use CBR(constant bitrate)/full stereo(vs Joint)when ripping or exporting as mp3.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

"People don't care" to understand anything, but that shouldn't effect audio hobbyists as much as it appears to. I care about real chocolate, for example, and I can get it whenever I want even though everyone else believes that Hersheys sells chocolate. I care about coffee even more. Everyone drinks Starbucks, Dunkin or <gasp> pod coffee. Yikes. None of that represents what real coffee tastes like, but I have plenty of options for craft roasted beans and brewing. On and on......

56GoldTop, darkmass and jfeldt like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The internet...where you're not only entitled to your own opinion, but also your own facts...

yarvelling and kevintomb like this.
  15. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Well, that's a new one on me. Can you cite your source?

16. MrS

MrS Active Member

MP3 stands for MPEG (Motion Pictures Expert Group) Audio Layer III and was the audio part of the standard derived from MPEG-2 (H262) used in DVD and some digital TV formats.
    That's my understanding.

17. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

"One of the most ugly and destructive qualities of the worldwide web is that if offers a platform to any idiot who cares to spread incorrect information, meanspirited gossip, pointless blather, humorless and dangerous practical jokes, and all the other sort of garbage that used to be relegated to the schoolyard and back-fence gossip."

- Harlan Ellison

From here: http://harlanellison.com/text/parcon.txt

18. No-Remasters

Yeah, I think MP

Can you list at least 3(three) examples of such in this thread?

19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I was just adding some fun embellishment to marcb's post. What Harlan said is certainly generally true about the web (as was markb's post), and maybe even a thread or two in these fora, but this thread isn't a transgressor in my view. People here, you included, are working to clear up some often unfortunate terminology use--and that is a very good thing.

marcb and jh901 like this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

The Wikipedia article on MP3 gives a somewhat poorly written and poorly organized account of the history
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#History

NPR has a more concise account of the history
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/03/23/134622940/the-mp3-a-history-of-innovation-and-betrayal

The loose gist is that they developed a lossy audio compression method. OK, now what do you do with it? They put it in the MPEG video encoding standard. The standard documented how to do it and gave sample code. Geeks took that from the MPEG standard and ran with it. Eventually giving us WinAMP, Napster, portable players; and the genie was out of the bottle.

That part of the MPEG standard didn't deal with rights protection or other aspects for music distribution. And as part of a video codec rather than a music distribution method it didn't consider things like gapless playback and such. Had the group that developed MP3 worked to put their lossy encoding method into a different standard, like maybe a radio standard or a music distribution standard, then it likely would have developed to include some sort of rights protection and other things beneficial to music distribution (like gapless support).

21. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Allen Sides is an obvious heretic. It's so obvious he's fabricating furiously. Certainly, he doesn't have the requisite experience to know what he is talking about.

Please read with as much sarcasm as is humanly possible.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. Ham Sandwich

He did mention working on the American Idol releases for iTunes, with a bit of pride. Obviously a heretic when it comes to sound quality standards. ;)

Please read with the same sense of sarcasm.

56GoldTop likes this.
  23. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:laugh: Yeah, he might want to drop that off the resume. I think I heard a collective groaning when he mentioned that. He probably heard it as well seeing how he quickly moved on to Joni Mitchell. :laugh:

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Could you clarify? Is this just a snide comment that's hard to understand? Certainly Allen Sides is a record producer/engineer with a long record (30+ yrs) of best-selling and award-winning albums, who also makes and sells studio monitors (speakers) and has a pretty good repuation in the industry.

25. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

It seems many of the people who hear an appreciable difference between 16/44 and higher resolutions and who feel hires is preferable are people who have a lot of listening experience in all kinds of media; tape, vinyl and digital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.