Great New Bands that someone stuck in the 60s to 90s should listen to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken.e., Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

2. I like Ty Seagall but I hate the mastering on his CDs. War on Drugs is also quite good. I would add Bird Streets.

Ken.e. likes this.
  3. tap

tap Forum Resident

King Gizzard

4. citizentim

citizentim Well-Known Member

I literally signed up for this forum to say: "People keep telling me about King Gizzard, maybe we should check it out."
    During the signup process, you posted this.
    The universe is telling me something.

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Not really a "band", but Courtney Barnett

6. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

The Struts, The Struts, The Struts...

thxphotog, mikedifr0923 and Ken.e. like this.
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I know people like list threads but writing an artist name without any reason to try them or any explanation what they sound like may not inspire someone to check them out. I'm just happy someone wants to try a new band.

One of the go-to bands for this forum is Greta Van Fleet cause they have a Zep-imitation reputation currently. They just released their debut album- there's a thread on it now.

Greta Van Fleet - Anthem of the Peaceful Army

Chris DeVoe, Ken.e. and Road Ratt like this.
  8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Hiatus Kaiyote - Choose Your Weapon

Ken.e. likes this.
  9. FriendlyRanger

FriendlyRanger Forum Resident

Came here to mention Courtney. Also worth mentioning is her partner, Jen Cloher.

"Regional Echo" is definitely one of the best songs that I discovered this year.

10. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Check out Little Stevens underground garage on Sirius XM. I discovered a ton of new bands on there that sound like they are from the 1960's.

Ken.e. likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Not super new, but possibly new to you
    The Decemberists Hazards of Love ... we like a lot of similar stuff, so you may like it ... I think its great

Click to get to youtube ... the intro isn't really a song, merely an intro

12. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

If you have any love for Americana, then Jason Isbell should be on your list. That might lead you to other acts produced by Dave Cobb. Isbell isn’t new, though. He joined the Drive-By Truckers in the 90s.

War on Drugs draw together a lot of your influences into something both familiar and fresh at the same time. They also make 80s rock sound cool again. Start with their latest two albums. If you like their weirder earlier stuff, you might also like Kurt Vile.

One of my favourite newer bands is White Denim. Lots of amazing riffs with some southern boogie flair. Earlier stuff is weirder, but somewhere around D or Corsicana Lemonade they moved closer to mainstream rock.

A young Canadian band I love is Alvvays. Great guitar playing, dreamy songwriting. Definitely worth a listen.

For some further Canadiana, check out TUNS. An amazing trio of three Canadian power pop icons. 9 amazing songs make for one very enjoyable listen with no bloat.

13. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since... Thread Starter

I've heard them for sure. Not bought anything by them or heard more then the tracks on the radio. I'll give them a deeper listen.

14. Ken.e.

I have definitely opened my mind to artists in the 60s and 70s as well that in the time I didn't want to hear. Chicago is one of the bands I didn't like and then some one played an album for me and I was blown away. I didn't realize they so interesting. I also got into Pat Metheny about 25 years ago. He has some amazing albums and great live.

mrsmel likes this.
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Tedeschi Trucks Band, The Avett Brothers, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, and Amanda Shires (who is Isbell’s wife... Or should I say Isbell is Shires’ husband?).

16. Great band out of Montreal.........Half Moon Run

17. Ken.e.

Some great suggestions I've got so far from everyone. I streamed one of Field Music's albums yesterday called Plumb and I was impressed. I just randomly picked the album for no specific reason. Worth checking out more from my first listen. Thanks!

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm a little surprised to see this. Though I wouldn't characterize him as audiophile level exactly, compared to some of his peers, Segall isn't nearly as harsh. Freedom's Goblin and Manipulator were both DR8, not ideal but not unlistenable.

wayneklein and Ken.e. like this.
  19. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

They are not really "new", but if you don't mind non-English lyrics, Dungen might be just what you are looking for.

Crazy prayingmantis and Tristero like this.
  20. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Tedeschi Trucks Band
    War on Drugs
    Blackberry Smoke

LilacTeardrop and Ken.e. like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

A great band for fans of psychedelia and progressive rock. They consistently deliver outstanding musicianship without sounding like they're showing off.

22. Ken.e.

I listed to album by these guys last night as well because of their name and they seemed extremely prolific. Not so randomly I picked Nonagon Infinity, I used all music to guide me to the album. I understand that they can difficult to follow but I'll definitely listen to a few more albums.

drobo and citizentim like this.
  23. Tgreul

Tgreul Forum Resident

Zervas and Pepper, from the UK. It’s like if Dan Fogelberg and Joni Mitchell formed a duo.

box of frogs, carlwm and Ken.e. like this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Even more so on Rodney Bingenheimer's Sunday night show.

Greenalishi, t-man 54 and Ken.e. like this.
  25. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

Big something ..... great band from North Carolina

Ken.e. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.