DCC Archive ***GREAT New Beatles Book!!!***

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleFred, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member Thread Starter

Its called "The Beatles Gear" by Andy Babiuk (with a foreword by Mark Lewisohn who wrote "the Bible", Recording Sessions). It has the whole scoop on all the instruments they ever owned and played and which ones were used on what albums etc...., discussions on recording techniques and so forth- most of us here already know a lot of that stuff but its still a great buy ($40) with all that info compiled into one book-255 pages in large hardcover. I didnt know anything about this book until I just happened to be strolling by Manny's Music in New York City earlier this evening (the 48th St block full of guitar shops)and they had this book on display in the front window. Needless to say I did a quick doubletake :) Went inside and snapped it up right away! You can get some info on the book at the site: www.backbeatbooks.com I also picked up an issue of the British mag, Total Guitar, which has an article in the current issue that analyzes the Beatles songs and they mention a book coming out soon called Songwriting Secrets of The Beatles by Dominic Pedler on Omnibus Press. Cant wait for that one :) ***Lets keep George H in our thoughts & prayers***

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I'll bite. That book would be right up my alley! I'm a guitar/amp nut anyhow. This book sounds like it would make a great companion to Mark Lewisohn's Beatles "Recording Sessions" book.

3. BeatleFred

Hi Dan: Thanks for the reply. The writer of the book lives not too far from your neck of the woods, Rochester. (I'm down here in Queens NY). Its mentioned he worked for a major instrument store, the House of Guitars- is that in Rochester too, would you know? Coincidentally I may be up in Rochester next month for a few days, related to my job, never been up that far before, if that guitar store is there I'd like to stop in and visit.

4. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Looks like this book is must have! As I'm in Rochester. Yes House of Guitars is in Rochester, a neat place - Well actually a messy place, stuff all over! Great place to browse, but almost always have to ask someone to find what you're looking for.

5. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I live in Rochester, too. House of Guitars is a great place. I have seen Andy in there many times. In fact I will get him to sign my copy when I buy it. If you go there, go to the back of the store. Here you will find many lp's. Also, look up! On upper shelves are many rare lp's. Let's see---two Butcher cover lp's, Ain't she sweet Beatles lp, Stones mofi box set signed by the guitarist who was replaced by Ron Wood (can't think of his name)and many other rare lp's. Also has a full room from floor to ceiling of just lp's. Most sealed! Great place. Watch where you step!

6. BeatleFred

The Ex- Stones man you're thinking of is Mick Taylor. I should be up in early December- I work for the T.A. and a company up in Rochester called Alstom is making some circuit boards for us that'll go in our subway cars, so going up to witness some testing on them before we accept the product. So.. how is Rochester- is there snow up there already by early December? I'm still single at 37 so if Rochester is populated by nice, friendly females that'll be great too (smile).

7. Matt

Matt New Member

I lived in Rochester for a year, and the winter weather was similar to Chicago. It's funny, but people in Chicago would tell me, "Oh, it must be real cold up there," and I'd get the same thing from people about Chicago. If anything, Rochester gets more snowfall than Chicago, which doesn't get too many white Christmas's.

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, Camarillo, I live in Toronto (or really, just outside of it) and every time I tell someone I'm from Canada, they think we ski in the summer or something. But Buffalo and Rochester get killed in the winter - we'd get a light dusting of snow and they would have closed the roads in Buffalo because of the Major Smow Storm (they'd get 3 feet or something! Yeouch!)

But it's a perfect music listening time, eh?

Or a perfect Beatles Book reading time! I should hunt around for that one!

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Gary ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.