Great sounding Tube preamplifier kit recommendation!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tommydoan84, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommydoan84

tommydoan84 Active Member Thread Starter

Dear Ak members ,

I am in need of your help and recommendation for a great sounding tube preamp kit in the sub range 1500k. I had several good DIY built amplifiers so I only need a good tube preamp to pair with.

So far my searches and studies through multiple sources come out to 2 candidates below

1. Bottlehead BeePre 300B Preamplifier Kit (1200k - 1400k)
    2. Tube4hifi SP14 preamplifier (1000k for dissembled kit)

Have anyone already built or owned these kits, do you have any feedbacks/reviews in term of their sonic quality ?

Do you have any other recommendations for other tube preamp kits that comparable or better than the 2 options that I have found in term of cost and sonic quality.

I really appreciate your time reading my post and your precious help and recommendation.

Most warmest regards and thanks from a happy audio hobbyist :)and AudioDIY builder
    Tom

2. jenkovix

jenkovix Forum Resident

3. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I have the Bottlehead Bee Pre and it is an absolutely fantastic preamp! I have no problem recommending that one whole heartedly. I have built several of their preamps through the years, and the Bee Pre is the best.

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I have a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp with all the upgrades. I'm surprised they stopped selling that model since it was their cheapest and a foot in the door to kit building. I like the fact that you can buy NOS 12au7's relatively cheap to tube roll. I have a difficult time with using a 300B triode in a preamp.

Convince me. I have money burning a hole in my pocket.

5. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Well, you just have to hear it in the end of course. I had a fully tricked out II and the III and a big stash of NOS Mullard 12au7s. I still went for the Bee Pre. I can start with the cliches about sweeter sound and lower noise floor but I don't know. I just put it in my system and said wow! It's here to stay. If you have Bottlehead you know they are the best value in audio, the Bee Pre is no exception. I like it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.