Great surround moment with the Doobies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gardo, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have just spent "some quality time" with the 4 Doobies Q4 reels, and I have to admit, these are all fine examples of true surround at it's finest. Although Stampede has only one "minor" hit, all of the music on these 4 reels is really specatcular. I can see no reason why they were not re-released on DVD-A a few years ago when "Captain" came out.

JediJoker and fredblue like this.
  2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I also would love to hear "Black Water" in hi-rez surround. That is a song that never got played out.

It would be great if the Greatest Hits set became a DVDA.

3. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Bump. You know, one of the things I really appreciate about "The Captain and Me" on DVD-A (aside from the music itself) is being able to access the lyrics. I know there's a tendency on this board for people to post, "Oh, I don't want to have it hooked up to a TV", but for me, that's the reason I bought it. So I could see video, artwork, photos, interviews, and lyrics whenever they're provided. I don't have a problem w/ Patrick Simmons' vocals, but Tom Johnston's are really hard to decipher. It's fun to see how close, if at all, I came to what's actually being sung.

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Accessing lyrics is cool, though I've found I don't do it more than once or twice, after which I prefer just the music. Still, not a bad feature. I do wonder, though, who puts the lyrics on there, and just how accurate they are. After seeing some real howlers in guitar/piano songbooks over the years I'm always suspicious. I remember one Who book that had Roger Daltrey singing "pick up my chair and play" in "Won't Get Fooled Again." Where did that come from? :laugh:

5. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I think there's an error on the CAPTAIN & ME lyrics for "South City Midnight Lady". The lyric seems to be "the smile that I sent out returned with you", but the lyrics screen omits the "I".

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

"You missed the bus" "Your boy won't be a more no more" (both corrected on the Tommy DVD-A)!

Gardo likes this.
  7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Not as bad as buying those import LPs from the 70s and 80s, where the english lyrics were "figured out" phonicly. Anyone remember those? It was always one of the fun parts of buying "imports". :D (No disrespect to the source countries intended)

8. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Well, my Japanese copy of Hey Jude has the lyrics for "Rain" at the part where the backwards tape kicks in as, "Stare her down and nourish what comes near". You know what? I'm fine with that!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Still can't believe I never saw this thread before today ( linked in the Doobies quad box thread)

The Captain And Me was my first DVD-A in 2009, and my favorite ever since. I had actually said that I had wished it was available in 5.1, within minutes of my son setting up my surround setup back then.
    The next day, I found my wish had come true.

fredblue, JonUrban and JediJoker like this.
  11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

it's hilarious seeing my posts when I was just Lennonfan all those years ago:)
    I have a feeling this set is going to do well.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

High-larious. I started this thread about 14 years ago. Feeling a bit Rip Van Winkle right now.

The thing I really miss is the energy I felt in that initial post. The Forum was new to me, I had just done an upgrade, and I felt it was worth trying to capture the feeling in words. I don't post as much anymore, and I don't work as hard on the writing. Pity. Makes me feel like something's gone missing here -- or in me -- or both.

Well, anyway: I still love that song.

JonUrban, JediJoker, Myke and 2 others like this.
  13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

it took fourteen years but those doobie quads are apparently coming. i love the captain and me 5.1, but i think i'll need to get the quadio box, finances willing

JediJoker and Myke like this.
  14. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Wait. So I’m confused this really old Doobies‘ quad thread is reopened for unexplained reasons and then Myke mentioned a Doobie‘s quad box thered which despite doing a search I can’t find... Is there a Doobies quad box set that is coming out similar to the Chicago quad Blu-ray box set ?

15. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Never mind just found it with Google!
    QUADIO Doobie Brothers box set announced

I am so psyched!!! Instant Buy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.