Greatest hits albums worth owning even when you have the hits on the studio albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Almost every great band has released a greatest hits album, a retrospective of their greatest chart hits throughout their career. Many of these hits albums have tracks that weren't released on studio albums, and the rest of the hits albums contain the songs from already released studio albums that contained the hits.

Sometimes, a greatest hits album has cool edits and a running order that makes it stand as well as a classic studio album. Chicago's Greatest Hits is one of these. I really like the single edit of Make Me Smile and the sequencing is brilliant. This is the only hits album I own, though.

I assume there aren't TOO many but what are other examples? Actually, I ask because I was thinking of picking up Sly & The Family Stone's Greatest Hits because it has three songs that weren't on studio albums, but I could just download those three tracks on their own. How does this hits album stand on it's own, for example?

Murph, Stephen J, CybrKhatru and 3 others like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nice post. I agree...there's more to compilation albums than just the songs themselves. Running order is a big factor fro me. I always loved how in the first Led Zeppelin Box Set from the 90's they sequenced Heartbreaker followed by Communication Breakdown as opposed to the usual, predictable pairing of the former with Living Loving Maid.

At any rate, there are a ton of obvious compilation albums that are worth having even if one has all the songs on the "proper" albums already..one of the most fun, though, has to be that of CCR. While their albums are all worth having with each containing it's own share of hit singles, it's nice to be able to put on a "greatest hits" album and hear all of those great songs one after the other.

CybrKhatru, Murph, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

A couple of the many Faith No More Greatest Hits albums have rarities and b sides thrown in. I own "Who Cares A Lot?" because it has the Angel Dust outtake "The World is Yours" and similar gems.

4. Tlaloc

Tlaloc Token young person

I submit for consideration Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits, partially because of the tracks chosen, but mostly because of Mary Jane's Last Dance.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Eponymous - R.E.M.

Features Romance, which was not on their studio albums and different takes/mixes of 3 other songs. It was my intro to the band.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I still own (and spin quite frequently) my Earth, Wind & Fire Greatest Hits CD, despite owning all of their albums (and even owning The Best of, Vol. 1, which also has the non-album "Got to Get You Into My Life" and "September"). It's just a great, solid collection, beginning to end.

8. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Bob Marley's Legend. That thing is just perfection.

9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy

10. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

More a 'best of' than 'greatest hits', but I love Be Bop Deluxe's Air Age Anthology. Even though I now own all of their albums, I prefer listening to Air Age Anthology most of the time. It contains nearly all of their essential songs. And the sequencing is impeccable.

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For me three in particular

• Buffalo Springfield- Retrospective
    • The Animals - Best Of The Animals
    • The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow

Man at C&A, Hamhead, Hot Ptah and 2 others like this.
  12. jricc

jricc Senior Member

13. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Sly and the Family Stone Greatest Hits is a great record from beginning to end. It is rather short in overall running time but it has some songs that are not on their albums and the rest is essential.

This "greatest hits" album is an easy recommendation.

Scott

14. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Surprisingly well. Like you, for years I didn't see the need to buy this album, since I had everything on it - even the singles that the three non-LP tracks came out on. Then I received a promo CD of a remastered version of the Greatest Hits album. Kept it because I thought it would be good iPod fodder. Then I played it one afternoon while filing my records and was astounded by how well it held up.

ianuaditis and bcaulf like this.
  15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

jricc and PsychGuy like this.
  16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

The red and blue albums are always a fun listen.

I like any greatest hits by any artists I like basically.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

LP-length greatest hits have a certain charm that chock-full double CD sets never will. Another vote Sly & the Family Stone's GH, and I'll throw in Earth, Wind and Fire's and Simon & Garfunkle's.

skisdlimit, bcaulf and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Rolling Stones - More Hot Rocks
    Contained an entire side of material that hadn't been released in the U.S. , plus some great B-sides.

Fullbug, Lewisboogie, Adam9 and 7 others like this.
  19. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I'd also suggest Sly & the Family Stone's Anthology - it's longer than and contains the hits that came after Greatest Hits, and the sequencing is perfect.

20. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Queen I or II

Man at C&A and Sondek like this.
  21. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Boston's Greatest Hits had some cool segues. The reissue removed them.

Bingo Bongo and bcaulf like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

How is the sound quality on Anthology? Same or better than GH?

23. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Madonna: The Immaculate Collection
    Opinions vary, but I like all but a few of Shep Pettibone's remixes and the Q Sound.

Also, plus one for Sly's Greatest Hits. :agree: A stellar compilation.

24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

1 Stick It
    2 Rock Me
    3 Face The Day (Blues Mix)
    4 Save Your Love
    5 Once Bitten Twice Shy
    6 Wasted Rock Ranger (B Side)
    7 Mista Bone
    8 The Angel Song
    9 House Of Broken Love (Live)
    10 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Live Acoustic)
    11 Desert Moon (Live)
    12 Call It Rock N' Roll
    13 Old Rose Motel
    14 Big Goodbye

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(Great_White_album)

25. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Doesn't the recent remaster also use the quad mix? That would make things interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.