Greatest Hits collections that have stood the test of time

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CDmp3, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I was going to nominate one of the Doors compilations. Then I realized, they don't need to stand the test of time. There's always a new one that comes along.

John Fell likes this.
  2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Try putting this one together with the original mixes. I had forgotten how George Martin changed their big early hits.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The Best of The Spinners [from their Atlantic label catalogue]. spinners.jpg

JimC and HominyRhodes like this.
  4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Rolled Gold - every time, I think Hot Rocks both suck!

Doesn't the Eagles one omit Hotel California?

Greatest Hits are really for singles bands and they don't come
    much better than
    [​IMG]

ShawnX likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's a good one, though the 2-LP "Snap!" was better since it had more songs.

Still, "Compact" is a nice set. Took me years to find a first pressing CD - and then I found both Japan and WG CDs in the same store. Of course, I had to buy both! :help:

6. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

:p The Immaculate Collection.

ShawnX and JimC like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Ten Years After Anthology is the best available compilation in their catalog but if I remember correctly it does not contain any cuts from their last 2 studio albums.

8. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

My first Hendrix album bought at Tower Records in Seattle.

BIG ED likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Gene Pitney - such a great collection.
    [​IMG]

BradOlson likes this.
  11. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Ramones Mania - a near perfect package for the casual fan. I would've subbed "Time Bomb" for "Warthog", but that's just me.
    [​IMG]

12. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

"Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973
    Yes, but how is this a Greatest Hits? Aren't many of these remixes or rerecords?

If so they're not the hit mixes, so all bets are off."

I believe most of the tracks on the album are in their original versions. I think I remember reading that Karen re-recorded her vocals on the version of "Ticket To Ride" that appears on the album. I don't think it's the same version as the 1969 original. Plus, the version of "We've Only Just Begun" found on that album starts off strangely with the opening instrumental track of "Close To You" and then eventually segues into the regular version of "..Just Begun". "Top Of The World" on the album also has re-recorded vocals, but it is the same version that was released a single and became a hit. The original version from their "A Song For You" album wasn't the hit version. I *think* all the other tracks are the originals.

It should be noted that there is also a companion Carpenters comp called "The Singles 1974-1978" which is also very good but I believe was only available as an Import. You can probably find it used on Amazon for cheap.

13. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

For over 20 years, Air Supply's Greatest Hits album was one of my all-time favorites. I played the cassette over and over again when it first came out in the 80's. I always thought it was strange that it only contained 9 songs. It could have included their two minor hits from the era, "Young Love" and "Two Less Lonely People In The World", but for whatever reasons, they were left off. Then, in 2007, Sony released "The Best Of Air Supply: Ones That You Love" and those exclusions were rectified as well as including the handful of chart hits (although minor) they had after the original "Greatest Hits" album came out. "Ones That You Love" is now my go-to album for Air Supply.

Same thing with America: Loved their "History: Greatest Hits" album for years, but when "Complete Greatest Hits" came out in 2001, that's all the America I needed.

There's a bunch of artists whose original "Greatest Hits" albums were ones I played over and over again until more complete collections came out: Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot, Steve Miller, Sheena Easton, Olivia Newton-John, James Taylor, Doobie Brothers, Captain & Tenille, Tina Turner and many others. But sometimes for sentimental reasons, I'll still listen to their original Greatest Hits albums. Some of them do stand the test of time, even if they're not always complete.

By the way, I totally agree with the posters who mentioned Elton John's original Greatest Hits V.1 and 2 albums. There is also a long out-of-print Vol.3 collection of his hits from 1979-1987 (released on Geffen, I believe) that covers most of his 80's hits pretty well. I'm surprised there was never a fourth volume of his hits covering the late 80's into the early 00's.

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

These are the original hit versions. The only differences (other than Red Rhodes' steel guitar track on the album version of "Top of the World" being replaced by Buddy Emmons' more prominent one for the single version included here) are a "Close to You" intro that segues into "We've Only Just Begun" and an oboe segue that links "Rainy Days and Mondays" to "Goodbye to Love." Even if they were re-recordings, why would that disqualify the album if the hit songs were there? I've heard hits compilations by both Don Gibson and Johnny Rivers that consisted of re-recordings of their hits, but they're good re-recordings and stick pretty closely to the original arrangements.

15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Story - The 4 Seasons
    All-Time Greatest Hits - Roy Orbison
    10 Years Together - Peter, Paul and Mary
    The Man and His Music - Sam Cooke
    The Best of Dark Horse - George Harrison
    40 Greatest Hits - Hank Williams
    The Vintage Collection - Wanda Jackson
    Golden Hits - Roger Miller
    (Some of these are out of print, superseded by other compilations, but these have all stood the test of time with me.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Doobie Brothers greatest hits was our dinner record this evening...Funny watching my kids grooving while eating their lasagne ...

17. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lulu ~From Crayons to Perfume. Flawless multi label comp on Rhino.

19. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

Actually, no. I like the collection a lot myself, but it is specifically NOT a hits collection. 13, the collected singles, came out in 1970. Weird Scenes, with no overlap,
    was clearly intended to compliment it. it came out two years later in 72 as I recall. It is sort of a best-of-the-rest. So not only was it not first, it was not
    a best-of or greatest-hits collection at all. all that said, it is certainly one of the best best-of-the-rest collections ever made. One of the few that I've ever recommended to
    anybody.

alchemy likes this.
  20. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Re-read what i postED:
    It was the 1st after Morrison left for Paris & beyond.
    So, actually yes.
    Since too many "Greatest Hits" releases have not had "Greatest Hits" on em [IMO], i don't know what the legalese of the term "GH" is or isn't.
    Do you have the definitive definition of what constitutes a "GH" release?
    [like Jimi's "Smash Hits" has B-Sides on it & many "GH" have a "live" track instead of the hit studio track/therefore would not be a "GH" package under your specific guidelines]
    When you recommend it, do you actually tell them: "it is sort of a best-of-the-rest... it was not a best-of or greatest-hits collection at all"???
    :p

21. michael landes

I'm not sure that was actually meant as a question, but I'll answer it. If someone has an actual singles/hits collection and want to know where to go next,
    I send them to this. a perfect complement to what they already have. If a term like "Greatest Hits" has no meaning at this point, as you claim, then why use it
    except to confuse matters? (that's rhetorical)

22. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"i" claim?
    Where do i claim "a term like "Greatest Hits" has no meaning at this point"??

"i don't know what the legalese of the term "GH" is or isn't."
    Is a fact for my little mind; so i just go w/if the title of the album is "Greatest Hits" than its a "Greatest Hits" album; even tho i may not agree w/all the tracks being "GH".
    Not that the term has no meaning, only that seemingly we both have a prob w/all compilation albums truly being "Greatest Hits" collections or not.
    ["WSITG" does contain "hits" & it was a "Top 100" hit as well]
    "Was actually meant as a question".
    [not "rhetorical"]

23. michael landes

Then the answer is "sure", a literal one. Let's say an artist has had four top ten hits and a few more top forty charters. Well, then those need to be there.
    Now if that makes up only one side of the album, it's understood by anyone that the album needs to be filled out, preferably with less-well-selling singles and or b-sides.
    But the biggest sellers need to be there. Maybe an artist only has had four top-forty singles. Fine. Fill out the album as you like, but those four need to be there.
    Otherwise the term is meaningless at best and fraudulent at words. Weird Scenes has no hits on it at all (b-sides are, by definition not hits. The buyer usually has not
    even heard it when he buys the single. He is buying it for the a, which got radio play and which he has heard (I'm talking about the era in question, the sixties/seventies). If the single was a hit, it was a hit because of he a. I'm speaking generally, of course. There were singles that got radio play on both sides, such as Beach Boys singles, but this was anomalous. I think the titles of said collection was great. Not "greatest Hits" which would have been a fraud. Not "Best of" since it is no one's idea of their very best,
    as it ignores the singles. Just .......... Weird Scenes..... It is what it is. Me? I love it. A "hits" collection? A best-of? Please.

BIG ED likes this.
  24. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Have I seen Fleetwood Macs "Greatest Hits" (the green one) mentioned here??

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

[​IMG]
    Except for side four, the last four songs make The Beatles sound like a soft-pop group with choirs, strings and songs about octopuses...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.