Green Acres marathon on Antenna TV on St. Patrick's Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Nothing cries out "Salute to the Irish" like Eva Gabor and bunch of American hayseeds.

2. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Small bit of trivia: For @15 years, I owned the '65 Lincoln Continental convertible (color: light ivy gold) that was used by CBS for a season on Green Acres.

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

For many years, my dad owned this car:
    [​IMG]
    Same model as the last one used on the show, IIRC. Just checked, and here's a pic:
    i498430.jpg
    1969 Mercury Marquis convertible.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

The joke is that it has "Green" in the show title (yes, really).

Hey, I don't care why they're doing it- I'll take a Green Acres marathon anytime. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Welcome Mr. Dougles, everybody!

6. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

I have a Green Acres ringtone on my phone. Always gets a laugh.

7. PaulKTF

The theme song? :)

8. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

>>>Agreed...and same thing with The Big Valley.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

yep, just the instrumental intro

forthlin likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

"Sorry, it's Arnold calling- I have to take this". :)

forthlin and Shawn like this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Do you think George Washington at Valley Forge worried if someone was Irish or not? Do you think the American farmer plants his seeds and worries if his wheat will turn out to be green? No! This country was made great by the brave Minuteman, and by farmers watching their seeds shooting up towards the sky!

[​IMG]

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

To steer this thread off topic for one question, how many seasons of "The Big Valley" were released on DVD?

(Sidenote, a local dept. store had several copies of "TBV" season one mixed in with a bunch of budget DVDs... $10 for the complete first series so I picked it up...)

13. stereoguy

Grand: I believe that only the first season and half of the second has been released on DVD. Last time I checked that was the case. They really need to remaster this and release the entire series on Blu Ray for those who want it. The Big Valley was a wonderful, inventive show that used plot lines drawn from the History and political files of California.

MikaelaArsenault and Grand_Ennui like this.
  14. Grand_Ennui

Those "half season" releases are a pain in the *** if you ask me... I mean it wouldn't take any more to just sell a full season, and would probably be cheaper for the companies in the long run because they wouldn't need to make up two times the packaging... I got a kick out of the way they split the two season series "The Addams Family" into three releases, and the packaging would say something like "Contains all Volume 1" episodes... Now granted, they didn't say it was a full season, but the way it was worded could have been confusing to some folks...

Anyway, to steer this back to "Green Acres", I was glad to see they aired the episode where Oliver was going to start raising chickens-I don't know the proper title of that episode, but it's always been one of my favorites...

15. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

:laugh: Mrs. Concubine

16. stereoguy

Grand: Of course. The 'half Season" releases are a money grab, pure and simple. Its a terrible way to treat consumers and there is no justification for doing it.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

Shout Factory should put out a Complete Series DVD set and throw in the reunion TV movie as a bonus. :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Was there ever actually a reunion movie?

19. PaulKTF

Yes, "Return To Green Acres". it... uh... isn't very good.

20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I hate it when they dress up like they did on the original show. I find it sad. I wish they would just wear their present day clothes and reminisce about some of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Shadoe Stevens used to be on Hollywood Squares in the 80s as well.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Grand_Ennui

I've thought about dropping them a note to suggest it, but who knows if the letter (or email) would actually get past the secretary/customer sevice person to whoever actually decides on what titles they'll release...

Oh yeah, and besides the reunion movie, they should get Tom Lester to do commentaries on a few episodes, but since the few Shout! factory releases I own are all pretty bare-boned, I doubt they'd spring for it...

23. Grand_Ennui

I seen it once, and only once, when it originally aired, and although I really don't remember it all that much, I do remember thinking it wasn't too bad...

24. PaulKTF

Drop them a line! They do care about what customers say. :) I've heard back from them when I've emailed them suggesting things in the past.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Grand_Ennui and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Ditto. I haven't seen it since it originally aired either, but I remember being glad to see them all together again. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.
    I should watch it again, I might have a different opinion 25-30 years later. What year did it come out? I know it was around 1991 give or take a year.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.