"Gritty" 70's films. I'm totally addicted!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BrentB, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

Looking For Mr. Goodbar

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

“God Told Me To”. It’ll take you back to NYC in the 70s and also to outerspace

4. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Another vote for the original and still the best.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Also, another vote for a gritty film already mentioned.

[​IMG]

BrentB, 905, BeatlesObsessive and 3 others like this.
  6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

This movie is uh-maze-ing!

I love this thread. Many of these great films mentioned used to be on Netflix in really nice restorations. "Marathon Man", "Serpico", "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three", "Panic in Needle Park", "The Conversation", "Across 110th Street", etc. Some might still be on, but unfortunately I think many of been taken off. So many great films of this genre and era.

dan c

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    BrentB, BeatlesObsessive and Simon A like this.
  7. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Geez!!! That's a harrowing list!! Has anyone mentioned Panic in Needle Park yet? Eddie Coyle... Trick Baby...I can FEEL the rot of the great northeast in these films. I can smell the hot pretzels 'n chestnuts, neidichs, sabretts and Nathan's Dawgs, the Brew and Burger, when Manhattan had REAL photo shops in midtown, hopping on to the red stool at chock full of nuts(the donuts!), Macy's parade with the 77 Yankees. Yep this time of year the memories of the decay years are strong!!

There's a performance near the end of Trick Baby that truly creeps me out and that's SAYING something in this list!! What I wouldn't give to go back for one day with a few this and bucks to a record/audio store back then. LPs for $3.99 at Jimmy's Music World, TSS, Korvettes, Gimbel's... those were the days!

BrentB, trumpet sounds and Simon A like this.
  8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Worth noting "Marathon Man" was directed by John Schlesinger, who directed pretty much my favorite movie ever "Midnight Cowboy". Can't recommend "Marathon Man" enough.

dan c

Simon A likes this.
  9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Hall Cat and Radio Jammor like this.
  10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Edit: oops, already mentioned :p
    [​IMG]

11. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Check out 'Friends of Eddie Coyle' and I'd reiterate my enthusiam for a few others already mentioned: "Taking of Pelham 123" (you can smell the subway), "The Laughing Policeman", "Point Blank" and Paul Wendkos' "Special Delivery" (clever plot).

Spadeygrove likes this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Freebie and the Bean" probably inhabits a slightly different dimension, but its similar. One of those films that makes you wonder how it ever got made. It certainly could never get made today. While the car chase in Bullit seemed designed to avoid hitting cars, "FATB" chases gleefully slam half the cars in San Francisco.

Purple Jim and BeatlesObsessive like this.
  14. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

For a sports movie, "Rocky" is pretty darn gritty.

Purple Jim and EdgardV like this.
  15. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Panic in Needle Park is on TCM tonight!

Dan C and clhboa like this.
  16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

It may not be as zany as Freebie and the Bean, but Walter Hill penned Hickey & Boggs sure is gritty enough even though it's rated PG.

17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Just by Gould's mustache and the voice of trailer's narrator, you know you'll want to see Busting.

18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

man, that thing died a quick death. Whoever thought that taking the witty pair from I Spy and putting them in a drama with no humor would be huge?
    I saw it years later, and it is good, but witty it ain't. The ending has a feel of cheapness, to me.

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I think the film was made to have an anticlimactic vibe equal to what The Monkees' movie Head did compared to their TV series. I think Hickey & Boggs are two washed-out guys who are going through the motions but in reality they've simply given up. It may not make for a great movie ending, but I think it takes guts to try such an approach.

20. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

70s movie... check. NYC... check. Gritty... check.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

true, Gutty. The kind of movie that coul never be made today. "Clooney and Pitt in a deep drama, no laughs............[sound of script hitting trash can]"

Simon A likes this.
  22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

SHAFT!

Solaris and Spadeygrove like this.
  23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I've got two more "gritty" movies for you, from the 1980s, I didn't check but I don't think they have been mentioned:

Salvador (good work by Oliver Stone)
    Under Fire (Joanna Cassidy, Nick Nolte, and Gene Hackman)

Both are terrific, "gritty" dramas . . . wrong decades, but the ultimate "gritty" movie is True Grit (pick your poison -- either 1969 or 2010 remake).:D

24. Tauren04

Tauren04 Well-Known Member

Yes!! :p

25. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Atlantic City. Came out in 1980 but has that 70s vibe you are looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.