Groovetracer subplatters

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Greg Carrier, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member Thread Starter

I've seen several references here to the Groovetracer subplatter upgrades for Rega turntables, but it doesn't look like there's a dedicated thread. Who has one? What do you think? How did it change the sound? Performance? I just installed a reference model in my RP1, and I'm impressed with the results. It might seem like an expensive upgrade for an entry-level table, but I really like what I hear.

Or do you have another subplatter upgrade that you like?

2. Greg Carrier

Nobody has any comments about Groovetracer subplatters? I love what it's done for my Rega.

3. Roberto1

Roberto1 New Member

How complicated is it to install? I have an RP1 (with performance pack).

4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

It takes a few moments > pull the plastic sub straight up, turn the table over or use a drinking straw to remove the old bearing, clean out the bearing area with a cotton swab, drop in the new bearing, add the drops of oil as suggested by GT or whomever you buy from, insert the new sub, attach the belt, put on the platter, and spin some tunes.

jordanb87 likes this.
  5. Roberto1

Roberto1 New Member

thanks.

6. Aristotalloss

Aristotalloss Forum Resident

I'll bite, needless to say I love what it did to my P25 in terms of stability. Mine's the DeLuxe version, I think. Best thing? It doesn't alter the basic Rega sound like some other aftermarket upgrades do. I had a SRM tech acrylic plateau for a while but quickly went back to the glass platter once the Groovetracer was installed. I did however ditch the felt mat for the Achromat..
    (and added a white belt :p) lovely hobby isn't it?

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I installed the GT Reference sub-platter on my P3-24, and it made a huge difference in my system. I'm sure there are other threads on this, as I've posted it before, but the speed stability took a huge leap forward. The imaging snapped into focus as well. Between this and the TT-PSU, you can't go wrong on a Rega table.

When I got my P5, I installed the GT Reference of course, and I've had no urge to upgrade for the past few years. It does a great job in my opinion. Well worth the investment.

Campbell Saddler and gloomrider like this.
  8. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Groovetracer provides a magnetic stick/rod to retrieve the steel bearing, no need to flip the table. Also, you put a few drops of oil in the bearing well and also smear a drop on the shaft of the sub-platter. When you insert the sub-platter you let it settle on its own with the glass platter in place. Don't push it in. (is this too graphic?)

One great thing about the GT sub-platter is you can "take it with you" if you move up the Rega line. I bought mine for a P3-24 and moved it to a P-5.

You can debate whether it's worth it on a RP-1 but if you're into vinyl for the long haul it probably won't take you very long to move up from the RP-1. In fact Rega's counting on it!

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The only thing that concerns me is...how do you get the tiny little red bead out of there if you do move it to another turntable?

10. Jim in Houston

Then you do have to flip or tip the table since the red (ruby I guess) bearing isn't magnetic. You can catch it in a coffee cup or something if you're concerned about losing it.

11. Greg Carrier

Not very. Detailed instructions included. Took about 10 minutes. I have the performance pack, too, except that I ended up with a Nagaoka MP-110 cart instead of the Rega.

12. Greg Carrier

It's certainly debatable whether a $200 upgrade makes sense on a $500 turntable, but like you said, you can transfer it if you upgrade to a better model Rega (EXCEPT that there seems to be a special version for the RP6). And I sure like what it's doing for my RP1 in the meantime.

Besides, upgrades are fun.

13. Jim in Houston

by "it's debatable" I didn't mean I'm against it, I mean there's been a LOT of debate about it on this forum. Fans of the Rega house sound firmly believe you should do no aftermarket upgrades to a Rega.

14. Greg Carrier

Yes, and I know it goes against the Rega philosophy. But when I researched it before I bought the subplatter, I don't remember finding anybody who wasn't happy with the results. I'm tempted by the acrylic platter, partly because it looks so cool, but I'm afraid I would really lose the Rega "sound" with that upgrade.

15. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

My p1 is about 6 years old now. I've had the glass platter from the outset and added the Nagaoka MP110, white belt, Bocca ceramic bearing, 1/8 inch thick homemade cork mat, and the SS subplatter from Gus in Argentina. The plastic pulley refuses to budge to make way for a metal one so that will stay. My speed is much more accurate and the table is still very musical. Despite the upgrades it's still a p1. But I'm very pleased with it!

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It did wonders for the sound...I liked what it did.
    Perhaps people not into modding their Regas are against it...but the pros outweighed the cons...
    This was an old Planar 3 BTW.

17. Greg Carrier

I really like the Nagaoka MP 110 on my table. I've read good things about cork mats, too -- might give that a try.

18. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Does it go against the Rega philosophy? Rega philosophy, as I understand it, can be summed up as "light and rigid." I'm not a materials engineer, but I would think machined aluminum would fit this bill. The RP8 and 10, turntables with which Rega takes "light and stiff" to its extreme, both come standard with machined aluminum sub-platters. My RP3 is decked out with the Groovetracer reference sub-platter, delrin platter, and 150 gram counterweight. The sound quality upgrade this gear offers over the stock RP3 is very noticeable--imaging, bass, and sound-stage all improved.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    Lonson and Long Live Analog like this.
  19. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Love mine!

And I've owned or reviewed every Rega table made, except the new RP10, which is on the way. Doesn't change the "house sound" at all. It just provides a part that Rega can't provide at the price they ask for the lower tables in the range.

20. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Hmm, might have to investigate this for my RP1. I too have the performance pack but have the Elys2 on it with the Nakaoka MP110 as backup. Also have the glass platter on it which I flick with my finger-tip to help jump start it when I turn it on :) That and a Herbie's Way Excellent Mat...very nice sound indeed.

21. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

I've got the 'Gus from Argentina' subplatter in my RP3.

Initial impressions were that it did bring a bit more focussed heft and clarity to the sound, but when I tried to put the original plastic subplatter back after a few days to compare, it wouldn't go in! It compresses air as you try and insert it and won't go down without feeling like you'd really have to force it, and then pops back up again. It's as if the extra oil added to the shaft of the alumium subplatter creates a seal around it that the light plastic can't work against. Weird.

Anyway, so I've not been able to go back and compare them, but in isolation the upgrade seems a worthwhile improvement. And it's certainly nicer to use and look at.

22. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I use an RP8 now so no need to get any of the aftermarket stuff. I've used GT before and thought it was worthwhile. There might be too much oil in there or not enough. I always drain and dry the bearing well after I take a sub out and then do one drop in well and one or two on shaft. Taking stuff in and out changes the balance of oil- but it usually does give quite a bit of push back- kind of like a bicycle pump. Push down and hold- put platter back on until it stays down, so excess air or oil can be dispelled. I've had it happen where sub platter rides high even with the platter on.
    I wonder if anyone has had experience with both the Groovetracer and the Argentina one? Is the quality comparabe?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  23. Jim in Houston

That's why you just let the weight of the platter seat it.

24. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

It's no secret they are anti mod, so in that sense it is against the Rega philosophy. Read the bottom of the Fact page on Regas website. It is clear they want you to use their product "as is".

25. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Just installed the Groovetracer Reference Subplatter on my RP40 and the speed stability has been greatly improved. Played some Keith Jarrett solo piano records and Eric Clapton Unplugged and it's much more stable and focused than it ever was with the standard subplatter. Highly recommended!

johnnypaddock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.