Grover Line Stage - Amp recommendation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jkerr, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member Thread Starter

I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here but with all the current discussions about vintage amps etc I thought for fun I'd go ahead and pose this question:

What would be an ideal amp to use with Grover's Line Stage?

After looking aournd at different preamps (not seriously just looking) along comes Grover's offering (and then I got serious!). All things considered, I'm thinking that's exactly what I want.

Now I imagine in a year or so I'll be ready to change my amps. Currently I've got a pair of Antique Sound Labs 25 watt mono blocks. They're ok for now. The speakers (btw, I just got last week) are a pair of modern Tannoy's (Definition D-500 w/ 8" dual concentrics, 91db).

I know Steve has said he prefers vintage w/ vintage. But I wonder how Grover's would sound with something like the old Mac mc30s or similiar? Or would it be better with something more modern? Basically I'm after something with great, smooth midrange.

So Steve, have you used your Grover's line stage with many different amps?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jeff, I don't know how to answer your question exactly. You see, I have many systems old and new and love to play them all. Can one mix a vintage with a new? But of course.

I don't know what you mean by a smooth midrange though. An accurate midrange I understand, but a smooth midrange? That looses me.

At any rate, I've used the Grover around the house with various old amps so I can actually hear the amp without the vintage preamps coloring the sound. At other times, I want to hear that vintage coloration.

The Grover is small and light and quite thin so I can put it in various racks and shelf situations without having to move anything. It's neat.

3. jkerr

I apologize for any misuse of terms or being vague. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm trying to say. Yes, accurate midrange makes more sense.

anoither stab at a question:

I remember reading your comments about the various Mac amps and thier attributes and you mentioned the mc30s as a favorite. Does that hold true for whichever pre you use?

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yes indeed. It holds true even without a preamp.. The Macs are grossly colored; that's why we love 'em. They sound very lifelike, but if you put them on some test equipment, watch out.

So, if you want to ADD to that neat sound (if you love it so much that you want more in your music) you need to get a vintage preamp as well. If the sound of the amps is just right and you don't want to add any more vintage colorations to your sound, use a Grover line stage.

Does that make sense? Sometimes it is the colorations of the old gear that make everything sound really yummy. But just like adding too much sugar to your tea, there is a point where you'd want to stop. Ya see?

5. jkerr

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch

Now its time to run out and play some golf before it rains...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.