Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The summed up my feelings on Sunn O))) very well....a whole lot of nothing. As for Cannibal Corpse I can't them seriously either, too simple and easily offensive, a bit of a joke if you ask me. Dillinger Escape Plan? that was funny, some of the others were flat out dumb and yes that stuff makes metal look worse.

lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

A whole lot of side-eye at this post. And not just the Sunn O))) part.

Dreadnought and lenny nero like this.
  3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

I hadn't thought of athletic tape and was hoping it was. I looked around and too bad, just a tattoo.

[​IMG]

It is funny! I think the girl in purple paisley is high. :righton:

I never heard of "side-eye". Seems it's been a thing for some time. :laugh:

[​IMG]

lenny nero and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  4. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I really don't get why those are the first things people who are new to the genre are always shown.

Dreadnought and Deuce66 like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

they were shown a really odd mix of clips that's for sure with no explanations of the different genres

Dreadnought likes this.
  6. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Been going thru Hate Eternal's discography to get ready for the new one coming next month.

King of All Kings, their second album was released on Sept 16th 2002, wow has it been that long?? I remember first hearing it and it kinda reminded me of Nile with the relentless blasting double bass by Derek Roddy, but without the middle eastern flourishes. I think their latter albums are better, perfecting the maelstrom that I think of when I think of their music, but this one is probably them at their most devastatingly brutal. The below review sums it up quite nicely:

King of All Kings - Review by autothrall - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Dreadnought likes this.
  7. Dreadnought

With a broad enough umbrella of Heavy Metal I'm sure any response desired could be had with careful selection of content. Everyone likes those two rap guys and their positive reactions to hearing Metal masterpieces for the first time. Though they are musicians I think. Sanguinus, I think it's because WTF reactions are a high denomination of internet currency in this clicks, attention deficit world.

Listening to this band's seventh album. Seven songs each seven minutes long which I had to check it out due to the unique info on the bandcamp. I'm near the end of the album and it's a prog fest.

"7 musicians gathered to record the 7-minutes songs to feature on MONOLITHE’s 7th opus - NEBULA SEPTEM. On the album, the tonality of each song is one of the 7th notes of the western scale.
    The first letter of the songs’ titles is one of the 7th first letters of the alphabet ; It is also the tonality of each song - from A to G."

What gobsmacked me as so smart and too wonderful to ever become customary is:
    "The digital album comes in 2 versions:
    1 - LOUD VERSION (DR5) set for mobile devices (mp3 players, smartphones, etc.).
    2 - HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE VERSION (DR10) set for HiFi sound systems."
    NEBULA SEPTEM, by MONOLITHE

Also, Horrendous has a full album stream of their new album so I'll have to hear it (with fingers crossed).
    Exclusive: Horrendous Premiere Stream of New Death Metal Album, Idol — Kerrang!

[​IMG]

lenny nero and Deuce66 like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

WOW - what a concept, brains are working here.....:righton:

sathvyre and Dreadnought like this.
  9. Dreadnought

Not a typical dish. Whoever the cook is they went to a traditional Metal pots and pans school.
    Can someone cut that poor guy down?

Sept 28

lenny nero likes this.
  10. Dreadnought

Also Sept 28 and also fun Finland's Bonehunter of erect bear cover infamy. They do put out the albums regularly I thought when I saw this.

lenny nero likes this.
  11. ajawamnet

ajawamnet Forum Resident

What was interesting was opening for these guys a few years ago:
    Acrassicauda - Wikipedia
    Talking to them about the crap they went thru in Iraq - having shelling and actual death going on outside the practice space.

Pic with me and one of the members
    [​IMG]

I mentioned on another thread :

It's like the metal scene here in DC... there may be less places to play but.... I'm always asked "why do you play in thrash/death/power metal bands? Unlike some of my other posts where I talk of the apathy of the crowd, a metal show is one where as soon as the band is on stage, 80% of the eyes are glued to that stage - the other 20% or so are moshing (usually the younger folk.).

I've done many gigs where its a zillion bands; locals then "touring" package. As I sit off stage I'm just amazed that as soon as the next band starts, the crowd is there and attentive.. They support the bands by buying merch, CD's and vinyl - just an amazingly appreciative audience to play for.

And yea, it might be 'cause it's so loud, but you just look at the faces and you see they are there for the music. You go out front before doors and talk to them, they are genuinely excited to be there.

Speaking of loud, I always use hearing protection. I started buying in bulk since I was doing a lot of gigs. I noticed something on the 3M earplugs:
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmm... maybe that's how he gets thru that TV show

Dreadnought likes this.
  12. Dreadnought

Great photo ajawamnet! :edthumbs:
    Regarding Acrassicauda, that takes real fortitude. Being an artist of any kind or journalist is a very dangerous profession in some countries. I just might choose to save my skin in similar circumstances. As for saving the lives of others (nazi Germany, isis Iraq/Syria) I like to think I would rise to the level of bravery required but you can't know until you are there. I generally avoid walking into forest fires so I may never know.

Coincidentally I bookmarked some hearing protection last week. I was untroubled by the last few shows I saw but where I was put in a good amount of discomfort was in a movie theatre! Talk about driving your customers away. It was brutal. I went to the washroom, moistened some toilet paper and plugged my ears. I read about that somewhere as a quick fix.
    I was careful with the moisturizing because I remembered once in a taxi on a dark morning my spongy ear-bud fell out of my ear and into my cup of coffee. I didn't realize until I reinserted and gave myself an ear canal full of double-double. :laugh:
    Anyway, I might buy these Etymotics for $20 which are supposed to reduce sound evenly across frequencies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Hig...keywords=Etymotic+High-Fidelity+Earplugs&th=1

lenny nero likes this.
  13. Dreadnought

Checking out and enjoying quite a lot this band and their 2015 album, and saw they have a new album out October 5th.

lenny nero likes this.
  14. Dreadnought

October 5 2018

lenny nero likes this.
  15. lenny nero

Here are the ones that I use. I have slight tinnitus in my left ear so I've been wearing these to shows for about a decade. Probably need some new ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Fid...s=etymotic+earplugs&psc=1&smid=A2R5UKCLECW4MJ

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. lenny nero

spanish abm

Dreadnought likes this.
  17. lenny nero

us one man bm

Dreadnought likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

For Opeth fans. I'm not 100% sure if it's live or Memorex. The vocal seems suspect. No matter, I would love more live in studio stuff. From Presence To Silence, by Loneshore

Debut album September 28, 2018

lenny nero likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

That's good enough for me. I'll get them. Thanks Lenny. :righton:

Enjoying some good old fashioned, soulful Graveyard. The final song, an especially lovely one, from that EP which came out last spring (I think).

lenny nero likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

Full Ep

ajawamnet and lenny nero like this.
  21. Dreadnought

So that's what a Faroe Islands affair looks like. Put on a leather tuxedo.

lenny nero likes this.
  22. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

New Lucifer's Child song. Album drops Nov.

ajawamnet, lenny nero and Dreadnought like this.
  23. Dreadnought

[​IMG]

Mamma Mia! ABBA performs from hell. I was enthrall to this new Azaghal album last night. Not quite ABBA but the pop sensibility of the choruses did strike me. I did listen ever so quickly to the ten albums which precede this 2018 release and it's as if they are two different bands. Those ten being much more strictly Black Metal. This new album should have those who like the first ten gnashing their teeth in disgust but I like the Black ABBA from hell way more. Valo Pohjoisesta, by Azaghal

I was aware that I was looking at 1932 drawings by E. C. Segar, the creator of Popeye, at the time Azaghal began working its action within the frame on me. I might have been affected by that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lenny nero likes this.
  24. Dreadnought

25. Dreadnought

My Mexican coffee :yawn:

lenny nero likes this.