Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Marvel film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. You mean you missed HTD

2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Saw it tonight and loved every minute of it. I thought it was a perfect big screen movie, and had a handful of visually beautiful moments. There was also a quick interview with the director and one of the actors after the movie, I thought that was interesting.

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I saw Guardians Of The Galaxy tonight ... a bit skeptical at first but it certainly picks up and then delivers the goods.

I thought the first 15 minutes or so after the prologue was kinda forced -- a lot of characters to introduce so the story was rushed. But lots of humour and action followed to compensate.

Thought that maybe the Racoon/Groot thing was a too obvious Han Solo / Chewbacca riff, but I'm not familiar with the comics so perhaps this was written before Star Wars?

... and can any being survive that long in space without a suit?

--Geoff

4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I was shocked—SHOCKED!—to discover that this was not a documentary.

I look forward to Vin Diesel's Oscar acceptance speech.

Johnny66 likes this.
  5. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

I saw this yesterday with the family and we were all thoroughly entertained. I really loved this movie and will own it. I wish that they did not have to rush over the whole idea of the Infinity Stones but, besides that, I thought this movie was fantastic.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I just want to point out the stunning makeup work on Nebula. That is all.

progrocker71 and jdrueke like this.
  7. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is a detail from a cartoon I did years ago. Looks like anyone we know?

mikeyt likes this.
  8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My ten and twelve year old children loved it. They asked me to order the CD from Amazon while the credits closed out. Great fun. Amazon Prime got a Saturday night order to me on Monday.

xdawg and Deuce66 like this.
  9. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I actually pre-ordered this from Amazon on vinyl. I'll have to wait a month for it though. :waiting:

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Just got back with wife. It was worst then I thought. Bummer. Not good but I can see little 12 year olds liking it. A nice summer cbild flick.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  11. Sorry. I hadn't known you and your wife had separated. :tiphat:

Solaris likes this.
  12. shokhead

Not even after 38 years.:eek:

Mazzy likes this.
  13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Nice backhanded insult to everyone else in this thread that enjoyed the movie. Bravo.

jriems, xdawg and Mazzy like this.
  14. As much as everyone loves it, and I liked most of it, I noticed the entire theater howling but I only laughed out loud three or four times.

15. shokhead

I guess you saw it as that. I just though it was a flick kids would like and could see. Get over yourself.

Deesky and Mazzy like this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I see where they just released the final shot of Groot in "Guardians of the Galaxy." Don't watch this if you've seen it before; if you have, get ready to dance!

I'm more convinced than ever that those last moves are practically frame-by-frame recreations of Michael J.

mikeyt and Deuce66 like this.
  17. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I wouldn't take a kid under 10 to see this. There were a couple very disturbing violent scenes. Cherish innocence!

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just saw it, and thought it was great. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray!

mikeyt likes this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I thought a lot of the humor fell flat or was awkward. Also, the movie lost me when the characters were floating out in space without any sort of breathing equipment, froze/died, and then literally in the next shot/scene were completely alive and well like nothing happened. I know this is a sci-fi comic book series, but I couldn't buy that. There was one other part that just completely defied common sense or logic as well that I can't remember, even within the bounds of a sci-fi/comic book universe.

Basically, a fun little cute movie, but nothing that I'd make an effort to watch ever again.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    SMcFarlane likes this.
  20. nbakid2000

No. I think people are desperate for entertainment or audience standards have fallen.

21. nbakid2000

So THAT'S what that GIF is from! (the guy who opens the door and freaks out).

22. nbakid2000

All that said, I knew this movie would make bank. The trailer was very very strong and the buzz was really strong.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think you were supposed to go "What the...?" about Chris Pratt flying around in space with no suit on... my sense was that the revelation about him toward the end of the movie partially explained this.

24. It's for your inner 12 year old. The film had a tone like Luc Bresson's "The Fifth Element" but it was a better film.

The satire worked for me.

Maybe your inner 12 year old is n vacation!

carrick doone likes this.
  25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I saw it on Monday and have been thinking about it since. I came out with a 50:50 opinion, and it hasn't changed. There were a lot of good laughs and some neat scenes--and the raccoon!--but it also felt oddly flat. The most disappointing aspect for me was Chris Pratt. I expected a lot given the advance promo, but he seemed the flattest of all. I understand the general good opinion, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as some others do.

John K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.