Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by whaiyun, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I like him especially in:
    Midnight Meat Train
    and pretty much everything else....

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just posted by writer/director James Gunn...

[​IMG]

Jim B., BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

He's been FIRED!!!

James Gunn fired from 'Guardians of the Galaxy 3' - CNN

Disney has parted ways with director James Gunn after a number of what the studio called "indefensible" tweets he wrote years ago resurfaced.

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James' Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, said in a statement obtained by CNN.
    Gunn had come under fire in recent days after his comments, which made references to pedophilia and molestation, came to light.
    On Thursday, Gunn acknowledged the attention his previous social media comments were getting in a series of tweets.

"Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I've developed as a person, so has my work and my humor," he wrote. "It's not to say I'm better, but I am very, very different than I was a few years ago; today I try to root my work in love and connection and less in anger. My days saying something just because it's shocking and trying to get a reaction are over."

Vidiot likes this.
  4. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Do Disney not bother researching into people they hire, or do they only care when it's too late? He worked for Troma for pete's sake. How is it at all surprising he at one time was an edgy and offensive guy?

mdm08033 likes this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Due diligence is sometimes "flexible"....only Disney's HR dept. and the people involved in hiring him know for sure.

6. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

This is kinda shocking news.

I was looking forward to Vol.3. Now I'm wondering if they should even bother given how much of both Vol1 and 2 were James Gunn. Oh, I'm sure Disney/Marvel will still make a Vol 3, but I'm willing to bet it's going to be a painful disappointment because whomever they replace Gunn with won't be able to capture that vibe. I also doubt Marvel Studios will use any parts of Gunn's first draft as not to risk a lawsuit later on, so whatever arc that was in mind with these three movies is out the window.

The only possible replacement that just MIGHT work would be the guy who directed THOR RAGNAROK. After all it felt like he was trying to make a GOTG movie anyway.

Perhaps they will scrap a standalone Vol 3 and do a THOR/GUARDIANS team up movie seeing as his scenes with GOTG in Infinity War was a highlight. At this point it might be a safer bet to tie those two franchises together for Phase IV.

Vidiot, BeatleJWOL and supermd like this.
  7. Michael

I really enjoyed this AGAIN!

8. Michael

why was he fired? I'm lazy...

9. David Campbell

Some questionable tweets he made in the past were brought to light by Fox News apparently. He's been a very vocal Trump critic online so it's not hard to see the motivation behind bringing up these tweets now.

Not to say there is an excuse for some of the things he said, even with humorous intentions. However those tweets have been out there for years. You would think they would and should have been addressed awhile ago.

10. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

It feels like the inevitable other shoe dropped from the Roseanne firing. No tolerance and instant dismissal are the rules in play. Remorse not considered. That said, those tweets are pretty unsavory, and there seems to have been a pattern of them.

David Campbell likes this.
  11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well they just axed their Wonderboy For his pedophile and rape jokes. Obviously they don’t think he’s that much of a genius he can’t be replaced. I agree.

12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Karma for hoisting Chris Pratt onto the world stage.

cboldman and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gunn apparently sent out some rude and offensive "comedic" tweets between 2008 and 2011 that made fun of rape, talked about converting some comic characters from lesbian to straight, and joked about NAMBLA (the National Man-Boy Love Association). He says he was just being outrageous and crazy, and that none of the remarks were meant to be taken seriously.

Online sleuths began digging up tweets that Gunn admitted were “offensive,” many from between 2008 and 2011, after right-wing provocateur Mike Cernovich posted a series of old tweets by Gunn, in which he made offensive jokes about taboo topics like rape and pedophilia. Many of the tweets have since been deleted. Gunn previously apologized in a series of tweets late Thursday and tried to explain and defend himself.

On Friday, Disney dropped Gunn from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios, in a statement.

I actually read most of James Gunn's tweets from years ago, and to me, they're not at all worse than anything Howard Stern has ever said or done on the radio. But the difference is: Howard doesn't work for Disney.

F_C_FRANKLIN likes this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hahahha. :righton: For putting him in the movies!! I was thinking about putting together a montage of how Chris Pratt's dazed-looking school of lousy acting single-handedly sunk "Passengers" in just a half dozen scenes. He's supposed to look shocked and guilty in a couple scenes, but it looks like he's half smirking because there's no emotion there.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Roseanne had no real remorse, and is now saying she was fired solely because of her political opinions... which is not true.

IronWaffle likes this.
  18. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Sorry, I don't normally follow this kind of thing, in short, what was Roseanne stuff up?

19. Live by wokeness, die by wokeness.

David Campbell and Wounded Land like this.
  20. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Both had lots to lose, so that will always cast doubt on whether any display of remorse is genuine. But I must say, after reading the Gunn tweets in question, he may very well have just been going through a phase where he made stupid jokes for the sake of being outrageous. Probably, even. But would I hire him to babysit my kid? Hell no.

21. Michael

it's a shame of what we've become...

David Campbell and Wounded Land like this.
  22. David Campbell

Thankfully he was just making movies.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"Thankfully" he was making movies? I joke.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

When is the entertainment industry going to figure out that long lost secret of the past: the same thing that makes artists talented also makes them incorrigible jerks. You fire all the jerks and you fire all the talent.

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm not surprised really way he was screaming at people criticize movies from disney
    saying need to grow up and get therapy .. calling the kettle black...
    I always thought he off in a way..
    Karma, Karma. Chameleon.. red and gold..

trumpet sounds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.