Guns n' Roses Appetite For Destruction 30th Anniversary Remastered

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LonesomeDayBlues, May 1, 2018.

1. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

The songs on Live!@# Like A Suicide were studio tracks with canned crowd noise dubbed in. "Shadow Of Your Love" was left off of LLAS and put on the Japanese EP "Live From The Jungle". The version of "Shadow Of Your Love" playing on the GNR.FM site is the early studio version before the fake crowd noise was added. I hope all 5 of those songs are included in their original form sans fake crowd noise. It would also be cool to get all those old bootlegged demos in high quality finally. I will be buying this.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes! Give me all of this, please! :)

DeeThomaz and artfromtex like this.
  3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

There will be more than one live show included if Mitch Lafon is right. Can't wait!

Matthew Tate and jdlaw like this.
  4. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm hoping it will be similar to the recent Metallica 'Master of Puppets' box. Thus, several 1987-88 concerts, best demos/studio outtakes, etc.

5. I was thinking the same thing. That's a good model for a mainstream rock act looking to put out a deluxe edition - they even got the mastering right.

6. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

G n' R must be one of the only big classic rock bands who haven't done a reissue campaign. Now that enough of the members are on the same side, hopefully this will be the first of a series.

Something like the Master of Puppets box would be delightful. Perhaps with expanded, deluxe, super deluxe and super duper deluxe editions made available - to suit all budgets

As for me, I am still hoping that the many unreleased Chinese Democracy tracks will come out some day. Yeah I know, I might as well hope to mount a hostile takeover of KFC with Buckethead....

Matthew Tate and mick_sh like this.
  7. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Hoping their studio take of Jumping Jack Flash from these sessions is included!

8. Ninjur

Ninjur Forum Resident

A 2-LP gatefold cover with original artwork, mastered by someone that understand how to cut vinyl good, would be nice.
    Until then, my 320 vinyl will do fine.

9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

This is so exciting. I'm fixing dinner while snake dancing all over the kitchen.

[​IMG]

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I think it probably will be. UMG recently blocked a bunch of demos that had been on youtube for a long time. That was one of them.

11. As a Guns fan since early 1988 this is really all I want in life. I'll gladly pay whatever they would ask for a giant boxset.

coffeetime, Tedw9 and mick_sh like this.
  12. I'd prefer the late '87 Ritz show that leaked out last Fall. It's a better overall performance than the more famous MTV Ritz show from 2/2/88.

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

another DR5 remaster

benzo likes this.
  14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Maybe not.

Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Analyzed folder: Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     DR          Peak            RMS           Filename

DR11       over         -14.04 dB     01 - Chinese Democracy.wav
     DR11       over         -12.68 dB     02 - Shackler's Revenge.wav
     DR12      -0.00 dB     -13.62 dB     03 - Better.wav
     DR10       over         -13.00 dB     04 - Street of Dreams.wav
     DR12       over         -13.94 dB     05 - If the World.wav
     DR10       over         -11.78 dB     06 - There was a Time.wav
     DR9       over         -11.10 dB     07 - Catcher in the Rye.wav
     DR10       over         -11.97 dB     08 - Scraped.wav
     DR10       over         -11.46 dB     09 - Riad N' the Bedouins.wav
     DR10       over         -12.83 dB     10 - Sorry.wav
     DR9       over         -11.31 dB     11 - I.R.S..wav
     DR10       over         -12.52 dB     12 - Madagascar.wav
     DR10       over         -13.08 dB     13 - This I Love.wav
     DR11       over         -13.94 dB     14 - Prostitute.wav

Number of files:    14
     Official DR value:  DR10

15. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Why not include both? :D

The '88 Ritz show was better filmed/recorded, but I agree that '87 is probably a superior performance. It was very cool of the person who found the VHS tape of the '87 show to share it with everyone!

Brett44 and mick_sh like this.
  16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Were there any other pro shot Appetite shows other than the 2 Ritz shows? When they were opening for Aerosmith or the Stones?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Of course, one must bear in mind that nothing has been announced yet - some of you should stop counting those chickens!

18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

19. A few that would fall in the "pro shot" category, Philly '88, an Australian '88 show, maybe a few more but I can't think of any others specifically off the top of my head. They come from the feed to screens in the arena.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I hope it comes with a cassette. My mom read the lyrics and tore up the cassette booklet back in 1989.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    ODShowtime, MartinR, supermd and 6 others like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

'"Turn around what I've got a use for you'???!!!' :faint:

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Love him or hate him, Axl was very involved in choosing the dynamic mastering for Cinease Democracy.

"Tuesday, November 25, 2008

from Bob Ludwig:

On Sunday, November 23rd the new Guns ‘N Roses record Chinese Democracy was finally released after many years of waiting and many millions spent making it. 14 different recording studios are credited. I was thrilled to have been chosen to master the album.

In October, when I first heard some of final mixes which were incredibly multi-layered and dense, I was surprised by two things: The mixes were so finally honed that doing the smallest move sounded like I had done a lot and also that adding the typical amount of compression used in mastering these days took the life and musicality out of the recordings in a big way.

The trial disc I submitted to the producers had 3 versions: The one I personally liked had no compression that was used just for loudness, only compression that was needed for great sounding rock and roll. Then, knowing how competitive everything is these days, I made two more masterings, one with more compression and another with yet more compression, but even the loudest one wasn’t remotely as loud as some recent CDs. Hoping that at least one of these would satisfy Axl and Caram Costanzo, the co-producers of the record, I was floored when I heard they decided to go with my full dynamics version and the loudness-for-loudness-sake versions be damned.

I think the fan and press backlash against the recent heavily compressed recordings finally set the context for someone to take a stand and return to putting music and dynamics above shear level.

The dynamics vs. volume trade-offs include the act of simply turning your playback volume clockwise a little. True, when shopping the iTunes store your song may not blast out as loudly as other songs. When trying to impress the radio station PD it may be an issue if you don’t have the guaranteed attention this record deserves, however level on the radio broadcast is NOT an issue. As I have been lecturing to people for years, the radio stations are all in competition with each other and they all have devices to make loud things soft and soft things loud and indeed, I heard a critic’s review of Chinese Democracy on NPR and the song examples they played screamed over my portable radio. Even with the radio station compression you can still hear detail in the car… amazing!

I’m hoping that Chinese Democracy will mark the beginning of people returning to sane levels and musicality triumphing over distortion and grunge. I have already seen a new awareness and appreciation for quality from some other producers, I pray it is the end of the level wars.

Source: gatewaymastering.com"

Timos, Jack_Straw, Carlox and 15 others like this.
  23. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Nice thought but this means very little going forward. I'm not very optimistic about the remaster but my original suits me fine. To me it's all about the bonus content if any of this comes to fruition.

mdm08033 likes this.
  24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'm with you. The original Appetite CD mastered by ex forum member sounds fine to these old ears. I'm sure that the Mofi sounds different.

25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Destruction is coming