Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I and II Vinyl 6/5

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by numanoid, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Same here, then I ended up selling them for $40-60 each 10 years later! :D

2. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

So i'm finishing up UYI2 right now and I really liked it. Nice, quiet vinyl. Good sound (this time it's up pretty loud!). I'm not going to do any CD comparisons as, quite frankly, I don't care. These sound good enough to me that I don't need to worry about it. Glad to have these finally. A bit pricey for a vanilla catalog re-issue (the inners have blurry, most likely blown-up cd insert photos), but otherwise, very satisfying.

3. bonifakula

bonifakula Forum Resident

thanks, kannibal! any mention of who was mastering it?

4. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i got UYI1 on italian vinyl and UYI2 USA vinyl...bought them on ebay like 5 years ago... i think both are offcenter or something because the paino warbles a bit..

was thinking of buying these reissues but im satisified with what i have...amazon has sellers selling them for 19$ with 3$ shipping...sounds tempting..

5. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

No, no indicators. UYI2 looks like it has two different sets of numbers to go along with both the (U) and the GZ markings.

6. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

These don't feel like 180g? I could be wrong tho. Listening to 2 right now

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I don't think they were ever advertised as being 180g. They seem like they're normal thickness which would be about 140g. I've been meaning to post about these releases. I think they're pretty good. The vinyl is nice and quiet and the sound is great plus the packaging is pretty good too.

8. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Forum Resident

I listened to it this morning and it does sound really good. Inserts are a little blurry but I've never seen an original pressing.

9. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

So are these remastered? How do they compare to the original US pressings? I just saw them at my local record store, there are no signs of anything, no remastering, no sticker, nada... Are they records cut from CDs? I couldn't find any information about these reissues (just people expressing how clueless they are about them) so I thought it would be good to resuscitate this thread.

10. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Original pressings were cut @ Sterling. For these, who knows, there's no info anywhere as far as I can tell.

11. Kill Uncle Meat

All I could find about these is that they were pressed by GZ, so they could be CD sourced... I'm not sure what's the source for the originals but I suppose they were from tape?

12. bonifakula

Sorry, was it DMM cut originally? Just like european edition?

motorcitydave likes this.
  13. motorcitydave

Ok, I looked, no sign of DMM in the deadwax.

Anyway, I did manage to get a copy of the Geffen reissues. I got 'Use Your Illusion I.' Which is the one I needed.

It sounds pretty good to me!

bonifakula likes this.
  14. bonifakula

Oh, that's weird then... Was it mastered at Sterling at least? Because European (German) press has this and I thought it would mean they used the same metal parts made in US:

• Matrix / Runout (Side 1 (after the second A- there is an upside down V and a roman numeral 3)): GEF-24415-A-1 030 DM F-5442A- DMM1 STERLING
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2 (after the second B-2 there is a roman numeral 2)): GEF-24415-B-2 030 F-5442 B-2 DMM1 STERLING
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 3 (after the first A- there is an upside down V and a roman numeral 2)): 030 DM F-5445 A- GEF-24415-C-1 DMM1 STERLING
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 4 (after the B- there is an upside down V and a roman numeral 3)): 030 DM F-5445 B- GEF-24415-D-1 DMM1 STERLING

motorcitydave likes this.
  15. motorcitydave

Yes, it was mastered @ Sterling. This is an original. I bought it in early '92, sealed.

bonifakula likes this.
  16. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Argueably the last great analog hard rock recordings. I'm not a huge Gn'R fan but I like the vinyl of these a lot. I have the German press for #1 and the American press for #2.

The German parental advisory sticker is priceless: "This album contains language which some listeners may find objectionable. They can F?!* OFF and buy something from the New Age section."

Nrochie4184, Macman007 and bonifakula like this.
  17. bonifakula

eheh, yeah, that's one funny sticker indeed:)

But to continue that DMM and Sterling thing, do your both copies (US and German) have Sterling in deadwax area? Does it have DMM mentioned anywhere?

18. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The German record mentions Sterling. The US release does not. I can't say if the German one also mentions DDM. I found the writing in the deadwax almost impossible to read. It took me 5 minutes to just decifer where it said Sterling.

19. psychedelia

psychedelia The Psychedelic Axolotl

Did anyone compare the UYI II European 1991 issue with the new one? And if so, what's the verdict?
    I just bought a used near mint copy of UYI II (orig. EU issue) from a local store and I think it sounds pretty good - then I realized I ordered the reissue online which is on its way now (talk about keeping attention). So the question is, which one do I keep?

LitHum05 likes this.
  20. Kill Uncle Meat

Did you have a chance to compare between your original and the reissue? I'm really interested in comparisons, the originals are quite pricey down here...

21. psychedelia

psychedelia The Psychedelic Axolotl

No, not yet. But I will soon, and let you know!

Kill Uncle Meat likes this.
  22. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

The original vinyl sounds really good. I bought these on both vinyl and cd when they were released. Fast forward to 4 years ago. My turntable had broke and I didn't have the extra money to fix it. My wife's cousin was a huge GNR fan, so I sold him my original Live like a suicide, both covers of Appetite, Lies, and UYI I and II on vinyl. Fast forward to two years and I got my turntable resurrected and immediately wished I hadn't sold them. I tried for two years to get them back but no go. He finally called me last month and sold them all back to me in the same condition as when I sold them to him. So I finally got my babies back and was just spinning the use your illusions last night. I'd also love to hear how the reissues sound compared to originals as the originals are really nice.

Jam757 and Buda like this.
  23. axlstillrocks

axlstillrocks Well-Known Member

in 2008 i bought 1 and 2 on 180g as they were advertized,in 2014 i bought 1991 german pressings.i found the original pressing from 1991 the best,and this is not placebo effect.gz vinyl was also the pressing plant for the Rolling Stones 71-05 records remasters,don't get fooled to hold in your hands an 180g vinyl,as GNR said back in 93' do your self a favor and go find the originals.

Overfloater8 likes this.
  24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I go to try find original copies of I and II... are not cheap so the BIG QUESTION is:
    USA vs the Europe STERLING (made in Germany I think)??? sound is the same on both?
    USA say STERLING on deadwax too?

25. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I got this info about 1st US:

There's no "sterling" on dead wax.
    The etched numbers are :
    Side 1 : GEF-24415-A-GL2
    Side 2 : GEF-24415-B-GL1
    Side 3 : GEF-24415-C-GL1 (side 3 center label is the same as side 4, two "side 4")
    Side 4 : GEF-24415-D-GL1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.