Hair Metal Fans - ever heard of a guitarist named Alex Masi?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattright, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was randomly searching ebay for Steve Vai LP's and for some reason a band named MASI was listed in the results. I had never heard of the band, which in the late 1980's was headed by an Italian guitarist named Alex Masi. Anyway, he's not like a gamechanger or anything but I think he has a pretty good tone and good chops. Anyway, it's always nice to hear some "fresh" 80's hair metal guitar that wasn't played to death by the top bands of the era.

2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

In the 80's I bought pretty much every guitar shredder CD out there, most on Mike Varney's "Shrapnel" label. I had a couple of Masi's albums (he has a ton) but looking now I guess I got rid of them all. I found over the years that my love for all things shred faded unless there was some memorable melodies in there too, and I've since gotten rid of quite a bit of the stuff I used to collect.

Guitar oriented hard rock/metal is still my favorite genre of music, but for instrumentals (I'm thinking the Masi stuff I had was instrumental but I can't recall) I really need some good songs in there too or I lose interest fast these days.

Steve Vai btw is one of the guys I used to collect but I'm afraid I cannot stand his studio albums and got rid of most of them. He's fun to watch play live but songwise he does nothing for me, sad to say, despite him being a monster player. Joe Satriani on the other hand I still dig very much, because of his songs. Ditto for guys like Andy Timmons, Michael Lee Firkins, Paul Gilbert, and some others...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.