Hall of Fame Inductees announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mcow1, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

Here they are: Elvis Costello etc...
    HOF

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:rolleyes: Can't argue with any of those inductees, specially the Righteous Bros., who deserved to get in long, long ago...

ED:cool:

3. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

For those who don't feel like clicking. :)

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES THE INDUCTEES FOR THE
    EIGHTEENTH ANNUAL INDUCTION CEREMONY

CEREMONY WILL BE HELD MONDAY, MARCH 10, 2003 IN NEW YORK

AC/DC (Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Brian Johnson, Cliff Williams, Phil
    Rudd, Bon Scott, Mark Evans) -- Australia's best loved hard rock export,
    AC/DC is characterized by the bluesy guitar of perennial schoolboy Angus
    Young and the screeching vocals of Brian Johnson who replaced original
    member Bon Scott after his death in1980). Angus and older brother Malcolm
    (guitar) are the siblings of GeorgeYoung who, along with Harry Vanda (both
    of the Easybeats) produced AC/DC's first recordings. From the opening
    crash of "Baby Please Don't Go" a lifetime ago, up through 2000's "Stiff
    Upper Lip", AC/DC's power chords have nurtured at least three generations
    of heavy metal boogie fans.

The Clash (Mick Jones, Paul Simonon, Nicky "Topper" Headon, Joe Strummer,
    Tory Crimes) -- At the confrontational dawn of British punk, the overtly
    political Clash railed out against war, racism, a dead-end economy and
    true romance to earn the title of "the only band that really
    mattered....the last great British rock n' roll band." From 1977 to '82,
    core members Joe Strummer and Mick Jones on guitars, bassist Paul Simonon,
    and drummer Topper Headon issued 18 singles, five LP manifestos, and one
    enlightening documentary (1980's Rude Boy) that gave no quarter. Indebted
    to rockabilly, reggae, Memphis soul, cowboy justice, and 60's protest, the
    Clash imparted a conscience to punk and a jolly wink at rock's corporate
    bluster in those first heady days of MTV. Well into the 90's, long after
    their break up, the Clash's fans on both sides of the turntable kept the
    faith, culminating in 1998's Burning London tribute CD.

Elvis Costello and the Attractions (Elvis Costello, Steve Nieve, Pete
    Thomas, Bruce Thomas) -- In the late 1970's Elvis Costello emerged as part
    of the new wave of next generation singer/songwriters with the raw energy
    of punk rock. After his UK debut of early 1977 ("Less Than Zero",
    "Allison," "My Aim Is True"), EC hooked up in July with keyboardist Steve
    Nieve, bassist Bruce Thomas, and drummer Pete Thomas, henceforth known as
    the Attractions. Costello's impact as one of New Music's emblematic
    figureheads was writ large on the memorable tours with the Attractions
    during 1978-79. Their 80's forays into C&W northern soul, power pop and
    movie soundtracks prompted a sabbatical from each other after 1985. El's
    restless creativity surfaced throughout the 90's in a dozen musical
    settings from jazz and classical to Bacharach and the avant garde.
    Costello's current album of his first new compositions in seven years also
    marks a reunion with Nieve and Pete Thomas, who both signed on for 2002
    tour duty in the Impostors.

The Police (Stewart Copeland, Sting, Andy Summers) -- The Police broke
    through in the late 1970's with some of the most influential music since
    the advent of punk. The typical power trio formula in which the guitar
    provides the main focus was inverted - letting drummer Stewart Copeland's
    intricate, polyrhythms steer the helm while Sting's bass grounds the beat
    and Andy Summers' phased guitar effects add texture. All members were
    highly accomplished musicians from the prog rock and fusion traditions:
    Summers played with Soft Machine and Kevin Ayers, Copeland was a member of
    Curved Air and Sting had played in various jazz fusion groups. The band
    took a pass on histrionics, and instead forged an understated virtuosity,
    burying their chops inside reggae grooves and intricate arrangements.
    Between 1977 and 1983, the Police released five critically acclaimed
    albums and had numerous Top 10 hits. By 1985, they'd gone their separate
    ways with each member pursuing a solo career.

The Righteous Brothers (Bill Medley, Bobby Hatfield) -- 'Blue eyed soul'
    was coined to categorize the music of southern California's Bill Medley
    and Bobby Hatfield, doo wop crooners at heart. Their string of hits began
    with the Phil Spector-produced "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
    (co-written by Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil) and "Just Once In My Life" (from
    Gerry Goffin & Carole King). Hullabaloo and Shindig's favorite duo left
    Philles for Verve Records in 1966, but the Brill Building tunesmiths
    continued to supply hits like "(You're My) Soul and Inspiration" (with
    Darlene Love on background vocals). Split up in 1968 as solo artists, it
    took six years for the right song ("Rock and Roll Heaven") to re-unite
    them. Since "Unchained Melody" surfaced as a #1 AC hit in 1990 (in the
    Ghost movie soundtrack), occasional reunions have kept the Righteous
    Brothers up front.

Inductees in the "Sidemen" and "Non performer" categories will be
    announced shortly.

www.rockhall.com/

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I don't dispute that AC/DC belongs in the RNR Hall of Fame, but where are Deep Purple and Black Sabbath? They are definitely two of the most influential hard rock groups that ever existed. Every guitarist that I know were great fans of Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi, who each ifluenced a legion of hard rock guitarists.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. Ed Bishop

:sigh: Unfortunately, the voters for the Hall tend to skew older and don't seem very enthusiastic about metal bands in general. It's also possible they remember the later, lesser incarnations of DP and BS than the earlier versions that made the best music. But if you're gonna get generous and let in AC/DC, then those two should be in as well.

6. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

If I remember right, hasn't Ozzy sent a letter of protest in the past, requesting that Black Sabbath not be inducted.

Maybe I'm imagining things again.

7. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

No, you're not imagining.

8. Ed Bishop

He might have, but the voters would have ignored it anyway; no more relevant than somebody 'refusing' an Oscar nomination. You don't get to refuse; you can ignore it if you want, refuse it if you win, but you're still the winner.

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Now that the Police have been inducted to the hall of fame does this mean a possible reunion concert for the ceremony? I've never believed that that could happen due to their indifferences in the past.

It would be cool though...especially iff followed up with a new album and tour! :D

10. Ed Bishop

:rolleyes: Right on, Magic. What I don't understand is how people who made their fame and fortune together can still hold grudges so long after the breakup. Every family has its problems, but they usually get worked out; life's too short to become estranged from people who should be the closest of friends. The band had to end; they'd pushed it to the limit.
    Would be nice just to see them reunited on stage, having a little fun and basking in the honor. The Hall of Fame has some dubious inductees; the Police are not one of them.
    I'm waiting for the eventual Police DVD video collection. Some of the earliest ones look like they spent, maybe, $50 for the cameraman...and nothing else! Funny as hell. Got a little too elaborate later on, but that's what selling millions of albums will do to ya.

11. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Iggy and the Stooges were nominated one year, then never again.
    :mad:

12. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Where is Bob Seger along with the Silver Bullet Band?

13. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

How about George Harrison? Maybe it is too soon after his untimely death...

14. reechie

reechie Senior Member

My prediction is that Sting will play with Copeland and Summers at the ceremony, but don't expect anything after that. His ego won't allow it. And do you really want to hear the Police playing the kind of junk Sting has been putting out for the last decade?

Same as it ever was, George and Ringo will now, and forever, be ignored when it comes to honors like this. It's as if John and Paul could have done it by themselves...
    :mad:

I'm delighted at the inductions of Costello AND the Attractions and The Clash (nice of 'em to include Tory Crimes/Terry Chimes, too.).

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I agree. It still puzzles me why they inducted Smokey Robinson without the Miracles, but this line of thinking seems to be a thing of the past.

Regards,

16. Ed Bishop

:) I do think George will get in fairly soon; Ringo's more of a longshot, though of course they're all in with the band; never could figure out the need to induct John and Paul separately, but then I still haven't figured out how Bill Haley(among others)got in, either. "Rock Around The Clock"? Sure; some of the great singles should have their own little wing. But Haley just doesn't make it for me as a Hall of Fame performer.

17. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Sorry Reechie but I kinda like Sting so I would give a vote of "yes" to your question. :) He wrote most of their songs anyway...

As far as Elvis and the Attractions go...wonder if that'll be a friendly reunion as well?

Must be the year for "negative break-up bands", huh?

18. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Can't explain Black Sabbath; they've been on the ballot the past couple years; I voted for 'em; they aren't in yet. I'm not a big fan, but I recognize their importance.

Deep Purple has never been on the ballot, to the best of my knowledge. You can't get voted in if you aren't on the ballot.

Only five artists were voted in this year, and that could be a good thing. Maybe the nominating committee will see past some of its biases that keep certain artists from getting onto the ballot. (For example, the Moody Blues, the Hollies, Genesis, Peter Gabriel solo, and George Harrison solo have never even been on the ballot!)

19. chrischross

chrischross New Member

Both The Stooges and Black Sabbath should be shoe ins. Hmm... let's see here, you have bands who founded entire sub-genres of rock n' roll, and they're not in the hall?

This year's line up is very strong though. I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan, but they are deservedly in.

Maybe the nominators will realize that if AC/DC is in, then Sabbath should be in the HOF as well. As for The Stooges, they never had much respect during their career, so why should now be any different.

20. Matt

Matt New Member

The Modern Lovers, the Stooges, the New York Dolls, and the MC5...all important artists, though they all had relatively brief careers.

21. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I remember hearing a story (I think Sting was telling it during a televised interview) concerning a Police reunion at a private affair (wedding?) which was attended by all 3. They played 3 songs and got into a "friendly dis-agreement" over a few flubbed notes. Not that they were at each others throats, but they were fairly convinced (and glad) that they really couldn't WORK with each other anymore - they just took themselves to SERIOUSLY.

I predict that they will perform at the ceremony, but any vision of a continuous relationship will disappear after their set. The hall has managed more difficult reunions in my opinion - Page, Plant and Jones, Cream, Mama's and Papa's, jeez, they even got the Talking Heads last year.

I really want to see if Costello will play with (Which?) Thomas on bass - I think that's the one that won't happen. The hall never did get CCR to step on the same stage.... that's REAL animosity!

22. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I think the problem is we envision our favorite acts to be the best of friends, and they may have even started out that way, but they ended up as co-workers. Now, many of us may think fondly of re-uniting on a project with people we've worked together with in the past - - but imagine reassembling the entire TEAM that existed again. That guy was always complaining, that one was always late, this one tended to over look minor details, that one was overly critical and never satisfied......

Can they knock off a few songs? - - SURE. Do they relish spending six months in the studio and a year and a half on the road in each others faces? Probably not. Maybe that's why Page and Plant snubbed Jones, they just couldn't put that whole package together again, and live with it daily for three years.

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Now I know I'm old! The Clash and Elvis Costello and the Attractions? Bands that I listened to in high school?

And one act -- AC/DC -- I specifically avoided, if only because I heard more than enough blasting out of head shops, muscle cars, and hard rock radio. I'll give 'em credit for never getting Spinal Tap/Metallica-pretentious. Never saw 'em play with the Melbourne Symphony, go unplugged or do a concept album, bless their hearts.

And pretty soon the first big rap acts will qualify, too, if they haven't already. I'm thinking of Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five and the other pioneers, like Sugar Hill Gang, etc.

24. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I still don't understand why The Moody Blues get overlooked every year. If you look at list of everyone who has been inducted since 1986, you will see some very suspect names on there. The Moody Blues are a great band with a quality body of work--they have certainly made an important contribution to rock. I used to think that TRARHOF was a cool thing but it seems to be getting more phony and meaningless.

25. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

And maybe I'm alone on this, but I can't believe the Talking Heads were inducted before all of these other great classic bands - I think they are absolute ****e! Never liked 'em - totally mediocre... Last years ceremonies were very disappointing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.