Hall of Fame running out of candidates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NGeorge, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

Hall of Fame running out of candidates

Same problem for Queen Elizabeth.

2. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

I think the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame sure can induct more non-performers. Is there any mastering engineer inductee?

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Nobody's mentioning Traffic here. They definitely deserved to be in the HOF, even if they did treat Dave Mason badly last night. They virtually ignored him during the presentation, and he was off in a corner when they performed "Dear Mr. Fantasy".

It's true that virtually all of rock's "classic" performers are already in. It's too bad they have the "25-year" rule(meaning you can't be inducted until 25 years after the first record). They could put quite a few people in.

Next year: Kate Bush(hopefully)!

Evan

4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

From what I've read in the news reports, he performed "Let's Go Crazy," "Sign 'O The Times" and "Kiss."

5. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

What about Sigue Sigue Sputnik?! Pay credit where credit is DUE! :winkgrin:

impalaboy likes this.
  6. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

This thread, of course, pops up the morning after the induction ceremony every year. And, every year, I write:

Poco.

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm glad to see all the Prince supporters here. I think the original poster's bias was showing through as far as he goes. Personally, I loathe CCR but would have a hard time ignoring their contributions to music.

8. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I could not possibly have been more articulate.

9. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Here are a few of my favorites that seemed to have been overlooked:
    Sex Pistols
    Buzzcocks
    Television
    Big Brother & the Holding Co.
    Blue Cheer
    Roxy Music
    Little Feat
    Lynyrd Skynyrd (What are they waiting for, Gary Rossington has been very ill)
    Faces
    Tom Waits
    Stooges
    Patti Smith
    Ohio Players
    Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes
    Rick James
    Rufus
    Mott the Hoople
    X
    Los Lobos
    Blasters
    MC 5

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What does Frank Sinatra have to do with Rock n Roll

The Monkees were nothing but the Back Street boys of the 60's

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Shoot it up, baby!

Regards,

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Let's not forget this RNR HOF is purely subjective to the committee that makes the choices. I agree with most missing artists that should be here. Some even say if Jann Wenner doesn't like you, it may take longer for an artist to be inducted.
    I think Chicago should be in there.

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Which is an interesting statement, considering Wenner was inducted into the hall as a non-performer last night.
    :rolleyes:

14. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The Pretenders first album was released in 1980. Let's hope someone's working on their nomination now.

Although Peter Gabriel as a solo act has been eligible since 1993, if he too isn't nominated for 'Peter Gabriel' (1980) next year something will have gone wrong.

Based on 'Who Came First' Pete Townshend should have gotten in in 1997 but 'Empty Glass' will also be twenty-five years old next year.

P.S. I'd hope that the induction of Pink Floyd and Talking Heads have made it possible for other progressive bands like Yes, Genesis, and Jethro Tull to be inducted.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Prince has been playing lots of old stuff for YEARS - it's not new. He briefly stopped doing many of the hits in the mid-Nineties, but by 1997, he was back at them. He never really ceased churning out the oldies, which actually bugged me - I wanted more challenge from the shows, not just greatest hits...

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No way Pete T. should be in as a solo act.

What did Pete G. do in 1968 as a solo act?

17. Gerry Galipault

Gerry Galipault New Member

Believe it or not, Frank was part of the rock era, and influenced MANY rock singers (just ask Bono). Same goes for the Monkees. Michael Stipe has said he doesn't want R.E.M. to get in till the Monkees get in because they meant more to him than the Beatles. (Unlike the Backstreet Boys, the Monkees went on to perform, write and produce their own material.)

There are plenty of non-rock performers included in the Hall: Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Bessie Smith, The Soul Stirrers, Louis Armstrong, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, Professor Longhair, Dinah Washington, etc.

Frank should be in as an early influence, just as they are.

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Townshend: Way. Empty Glass was one of the great rock albums of the 1980s (IMHO).

Gabriel: oops, should have read "eligible since 2002" :righton: IAC, his first album worthy of nomination would have to be the third one.

19. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

IMO, it's just not right that the DC5, the Ronettes and the Shangra-las are not in but Jackson Browne is. I have plenty of Jackson Browne records but he is not Rock and Roll to me. Since the induction ceremonies are broadcast, I will speculate that there is a bias toward artists that are still performing and can "boost the box office" so to speak. Maybe they should take a page from the Baseball HOF. Have a veteran's committee which will recognize cornerstone artists who have been unjustly overlooked and who don't attract the attention given to artists in their first years of eligibility.

20. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

My other annual rant: Parliament Funkadelic is in and the E Street Band is not.

21. dcooper

dcooper New Member

I have a couple of thoughts that won't be popular:

1. Pete Townsend is not a legend for his non-Who work. I absolutely agree that Empty Glass is a brilliant album, but his solo work has not been consistently memorable or influential to merit induction into the HOF as a solo artist. He's there with the Who, and that's what matters.

2. George Harrison was a sentimental pick, and again I can't argue with ATMP being one of rock's enduring albums, but that's not enough to allow him entry as a solo artist. He's famous because he's a Beatle, not because he did Gone Troppo - or ATMP for that matter.

3. Someone mentioned Television...again, great band, but one great album should not be enough to get you in the hall.

I don't think it should be as exclusive as the Baseball Hall of Fame, where several worthy candidates are denied entry each year because their statistics aren't "good" enough ("You have 299 wins? You don't qualify!"), but it dilutes the importance of induction if everyone who released at least one great album becomes a member of the HOF. Using that criteria, Derek & the Dominoes should get in.

Let me put it this way...Elvis Costello & The Attractions are members. Should Elvis also be inducted as a solo artist? I'm willing to bet there are people in this forum who say yes. I think that would be crazy. As far as I'm concerned, Elvis Costello is already in the HOF, as is Pete Townsend.

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Great bands, Gerry!

But the HOF has to have a future, right? Give it time.... :)

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm confused why you think The E Street Band, who never released any records on their own, should be in over the Parliament/Funkadelic collective, which released a couple dozen records, and proved a lot more influential.

Or do you just mean to say that Bruce Springsteen's induction should have included The E Street Band by name?

24. Paul Chang

Hmm, nobody mentioned David Cassidy. We need more of the teen idol type.

25. Paul Chang

Give it time, everybody will get in. :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.