Hanging speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Adam, Aug 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ah, another question: In my last stereo set up I had ceiling mounts, a plate with three hooks, 12 feet of rubber coated wire that you thread thru the hooks and thru 3 hooks embedded in the speaker cabinet, and then the speaker is suspended by this system. I thought it worked pretty well, but now I can't find any of these mounts. I've tried creating my own with mixed results. I'm figuring it out, but it's costing me multiple holes in my ceiling. I'm starting to question if this is the best way to go. Anyone have any ideas on this and any idea if these mounts are available anywhere? THANKS!

Adam

2. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Nice mounts are available at my local high end shop. As I remember: they have the kind that screw into the speaker and the wall or ceiling. then they have a ball and socket or system for positioning.

One Idea: (I just made this up)
    Nylon strapping from REI
    Plant hook hanger (1 may do it)
    create a nylon strap basket with ~4 lines down
    attach nylon strap to speaker with velcro or small (screw?)
    All up to the hook in ceiling.

3. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

Those are called Omnimounts. We make them in sizes to handle up to 240 lbs., and they are available as either wall or ceiling mounts.

Steve Singleton
    Training Manager
    Omnimount Systems, Inc
    www.omnimount.com

4. Adam

Adam Forum Resident Thread Starter

You know, Clay, that might work better than what I've been trying...I'm using three hookeyes in the speaker and three hooks on the ceiling and I didn't get the hooks just right, so now the speaker is facing about 5 degrees to the left and I can't get it to point straight out! but with for eyes and one hook...would it spin around? Damn, it's times like this I wish I were an engineer...

5. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

You are right it might.
    Yet the plant hook usually has some play on which way you want it to face.
    That's how we get all the hooks to face the same way if installing a few.
    So after it settles it just adjust the hook so the speaker points at your ear or looks like it points the right way. Velcro is cool stuff.

If you want to get fancy, you could get some 1/2" x 1" pine and drill holes in it for the nylon strap to create fixed space between the straps either at the top above the speaker or at the bottom and top.

If using 3 hooks to 3 hooks. Use the taught line hitch knot. The one you use on your tent guy lines. then adjust them each as needed to get the correct angle. the knot is over once outside then over twice on the inside then through and cinch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.