Hank Williams Bio on PBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Evan L, Jun 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist Thread Starter

....Anybody here catch this last night? Great program, with actual COLOR footage of Hank!

A well made effort for one of America's greatest singer/songwriters.

Evan

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I saw it. The footage of Hank (especially the color stuff) was great, but there wasn't much info I hadn't heard before. Granted, it wasn't supposed to be an expose, but I felt like I was reading Colin Escott's book again. Still, it was worth watching, taping, and watching again. Wasn't that June Carter in the "I Saw The Light" segment?

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...did anyone tape this?!!!! I don't get PBS! Darn!!! How long was it? I love Hank:)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The problem (for me) with the show was just that there are just a few clips of Hank singing his songs that exist in the world. They never showed a complete clip, and they chattered over most of the rest. I hate stuff like that.

Interesting to watch though. I learned nothing from the show but it's always nice to hear Hank Williams on the Tele.

Gotta love that ol' Ernest Tubb. He is one of my favorites!!!

5. Evan L

Are all of the clips(of Hank singing)from one television show? I was surprised they didn't show the clip of "Hey Good Lookin" from whatever TV show that was, since it's the most famous.

Evan

6. Steve Hoffman

They did. If you blinked, you missed it.

7. Evan L

I still liked the fact that there was actually a fair amount of color footage of Hank; mostly home movies, no doubt.

I work for the company that is producing the DVD; we're getting a ton of calls for it.

Evan

8. Steve Hoffman

Always great to hear people talking about Hank Williams who were actually THERE. Can't beat the real deal. I hope a lot of PBS watchers were turned on to Hank Williams.

9. Michael

Yea, me too, Maybe I can borrow a tape! if someone was so inclined:D

10. Michael

What DVD? Details? Thanks:thumbsup:

11. Evan L

You can order one for $19.98(DVD only)by calling 800-336-1917, Michael(WNET ordering line). It's the hour-long program, complete.

Evan

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Great show I thought.

I always thought ol' Hank looked older than 29 in his final year.

13. Steve Hoffman

That show made me pull out all of my Hank Williams and Ernest Tubb 78's and play them all!

14. Evan L

Didn't you say you have the complete Hank Williams on 78, Steve?

How many Ernest Tubb 78's do ya have, just out of curiousity?

Evan

15. Steve Hoffman

I have almost all the Hank on 78's. Ernest Tubb? Maybe 11 78's. Just a small handful but I like watching them spin around..

16. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Steve, was Hank recorded on tape as well as disk? Not sure when his era was in relation to recorded technology. Thank you.

17. Steve Hoffman

No, Hank was recorded on 16" lacquer and simultaneously on to 78 RPM wax.

If he had recorded in NYC or LA he would have been recorded on tape but he died too early for that kind of thing in the south.

18. Evan L

MGM transferred those lacquers to tape in the 1950's and then dumped them, right Steve?

Imagine the sound quality if modern day lacquer transfers could be achieved!

Evan

19. Steve Hoffman

20. Evan L

We're still getting orders for the DVD of the program. WNET is also selling the Ultimate Collection by mail order. I wish we could sell the 40 Greatest Hits package instead, since I know the mastering is WAY better on that package. It is proof, though, that Hank still sells, 50 years after his passing.

Evan

21. Michael

His greatness is everlasting...I'm a second generation Hank Fan...My Dad was the first:)

22. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

I watched the show on P.B.S. Hank Williams really looks sad in most of his pictures and films, even when he is smiling.

I love his songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.