Hannah Montana concert tix too hot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tubeman, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin W

Kevin W Well-Known Member

Exactly

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Too right. I don't think you can put a price tag on having these experiences - they mean an awful lot to kids.

A couple of years ago Murray Wiggle read my kids' names out on stage (they had put some art on stage before the show). This was one of the biggest thrills of their wee lives. Why would I begrudge them that for a few dollars?

3. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

Bad comparison. The Monkees were liked for their music before the TV show by many ages and were extremely talented singers, songwriters and musicians.. If she demands musical control she may end up in psuedo-Monkee territory but now it's more akin to The Partridge Family if that show only starred Danny Bonaduce.

In my book- to be compared to The Monkees you better have a LOT of talent and charisma. I'd believe that when I see it. Still, she must be doing a helluva job at something.

Peace Love and Hannah job
    Marky

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

excuse me? I am a lot older than 14, I am Male, and I like 'hot child in the city'...and the Partridge Family, in fact I have season 2 on dvd, plus cd's of the Partridge Family and David Cassidy; and I saw Hannah Montana last year, and I'm going again next month...am I on the wrong forum? :p

5. Brother Shinola

Brother Shinola New Member

Aside from the ticket prices and availability problems, I see no difference from the tween audiences of the past. Elvis, Beatles and so on. She's the hot thing right now for the same age group that fell for our forum heroes back in the so called "good old days".

Attached Files:

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Because I articulate an issue doesn't mean I have a solution.

In fact, I can address the issue by not patronizing the industry, which will likely have no impact at all, except that I miss out on concerts.

But in terms of addressing this with impact -- that would really require more individuals taking the same stance, which is highly unlikely, as we all view our concert faves as an opportunity not to be missed. RE regulation, I do think there is more than a whiff of collusion here, and questionable business practices, where the promoters are side-tracking tickets, or brokers using programs that jam the phone lines. Whether those practices -- not the re-selling, but the collusion -- represent illegal activity i don't know.

Ultimately i would like to see the artists take responsibility; you would think the established headliners could afford a little "social responsibity" if you will -- I mean, how many steaks can they water-ski behind at a time? But I have no great expectations of that.

And by the way, I see a huge difference from an individual with a handful of tickets (acquired the same way I might acquire them) re-selling at a profit, and a broker of hundreds or thousands of tickets who acquired thru means I could not, or perhaps even made it more difficult for me to acquire in the first place.

8. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I find that impossible to believe.

9. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

Hi,

I have 4 floor seats bought through the fan club presale and if it were up to me those babies would be on ebay right now!! But, unfortunately my wife and daughter have a say in the matter.

i am not sure why people who can aford to pay scalpers prices are so roundly criticized around here. It is all down to what you value [thanks George]. People here casually drop $500 for a 0.5M pair of interconnects or $1200 on a phono cartridge when similar products can be had for a fraction of the cost. I am sure the Miley/Hannah crowd would roll their eyes in disbelief at that. Yet, if someone chooses to spend their money on something we don't like they are made out to be fools.

Gotta get the kids ready for school--I hope I have made myself clear.

Alan

10. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

Oh yeah, that rant only applies to people who choose to spend their money how they want. As far as the Ticketmaster industry goes--that stinks!!

I was offered tickets for Bruce Springsteen all the way across the arena within 20 seconds of the sale starting. I can't believe everything in front of those was gone in that time. At least Hannah/Miley restricted purchases to people living within 75 miles of the arena. I am not sure if that helped but at least the effort was made.

Alan

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

yes she can. as explained earlier, she plays two roles on tv.

although the songs are bubble gum pop, I have been sucked in by my daughters as they like to listen to radio disney (sirius radio) on the way to school. the songs arent bad for what they are and are catchy.

but I looked in the cd notes, she doesnt write any of the songs nor does her father. so who knows where she will be when the songs stop coming.

jonas brothers arent bad either. I wont listen to this stuff alone but on the way to school its not the worst I have heard. :D

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, and that's fine. But if someone drops thousands of dollars on a concert because they're worried they'll upset the kid, that's a problem. THAT'S the phenomenon I mention. It's great to do something that'll make your kids happy but not when you go overboard because you feel you MUST do it...

13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

You are quoting yourself, dude. That's crazy

14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yeah :crazy:

15. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I bought my tickets for my 11 year old daughter because a father always wants to be a hero to his daughter. :D

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

You probably are. :p I still like "Hot Child in the City," too, btw.

17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

:agree:

Bob Dylan

18. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I just heard on the radio that the Arkansas Attorney General is investigating how the tickets here got snapped up so quickly; Arkansas is one of the states with anti-scalping laws. I'll try to remember to update this thread as more information comes in.

JcS

19. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

Missouri attorney general is all over this too.

20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It actually sounds like the promoters themselves were trying to be fair, capping the price at $65 - still more than I think they should be, but it's probably a fairly expensive proposition renting a hall that size and producing the extravaganza a show like this entails. Too bad they didn't take a hint from the mid-70s Grateful Dead, and offer the tickets through a lottery, strictly by mail (real postal mail, not email), and cut the scalpers and corrupt ticketing industry out altogether - some kids would still have been disappointed, but a lot more would have been happy. Maybe next time.

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Should I sell my Springsteen ticket and put the proceeds towards this?!:laugh:
    They say you learn something new every day.
    Today I learned two things:
    1) What a "Hannah Montana" is
    2) How ridiculous it is that parents have to go through this for tickets to a children's concert.

I'm glad I have no kids to disappoint because tickets went to a "broker" to be sold for 5 times the cost. The authorities should clamp down on this nonsense once and for all.

22. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

That's fair. There are many political problems (which I won't outline here) that I can see that I'm not sure how to address. I just wondered if you had something in particular in mind.

I do the same thing for Arkansas Razorback sporting events. If you're not a big donor to the program, you don't get on the season ticket list. I'm not playing that game, so I stay home.

But it sounds like, and maybe I'm misreading you, that you think the jamming of the phone lines or the promoters selling blocks to the brokers, SHOULD be illegal?

Sounds like you're looking for fairness in an unfair world. Me, I don't totally disagree with you, but I do understand the promoter and the artist getting the blocks of tickets sold to someone else who then bears the burden of trying to recoup their investment. They then have their set profit for the event. If they wait to see if it's going to be a "hot ticket" then the broker has the same information. If some broker has to eat a bunch of tickets to an event that doesn't turn out to be such a hot ticket, then that's his problem.

I've used the brokers once that I can think of--my wife wanted to see Don Henley in the early '90s, and I have a rule that if I'm going to the trouble to go to a show, I'm going to have good seats when I get there. We paid $100 a ticket for seats in the 8th row center, and enjoyed the show. These days, the tickets might cost $400 each, and these days, we'd both say "nope."

My bottomline is that I'm opposed to goverment getting involved in the commercial dealings the citizens engage in any more than it has to. If an artist or promoter wants to sell ALL the tickets to a show to a broker and be done with it, the buying public then has to decide if the price is worth it. And at the moment, too many of my fellow customers are willing to be fleeced.

Someday, it may backfire on them bigtime, and I'll laugh. But I'm already out of the habit of going to shows anyway.

JcS

23. houston

houston Forum Resident

ok, I saw the show tonight (3 hours ago), lots of screaming little girls, and a big production; very good show, wouldn't have wanted to pay scalper prices, luckily I didn't need to...Disney gave everyone a survey to fill out and get opinions of the show, pricing, and merchandising, I thought that was a neat touch...I bought a shirt at $30, figured since parking was free, my Son couldn't get a ticket, and I got mine at face value, I'd saved a bunch of money already :p besides, I'm a Disney Stockholder, gotta pump their earnings...the Ladies restroom line was a mile long, of course, and the Men's restroom was so deserted I thought it was an 'Employees only" room at first glance...Staff should have changed several Men's rooms to Ladies for this concert..why not? some Downtown streets switch one-way directions during rush hours, surely restroom signs could be switched for one night :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.