Happy with Your Audio System?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm still in the 60s :)

Yeah, I knew that but in relation to the other titles it is evident by what I meant - well, I hope it is.

I couldn't figure out what other song titles I could use after much thought about it, and these 4 popped into my head while listening to Revolver on good 'ol 40+ YO vinyl.

2. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

how about
    "Damn Right, I've Got the Blues" (Buddy Guy)

instead of "I'm down" ;)

3. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Lately, I've been getting happier and happier everytime I see the UPS truck.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Overall I'm happy with my system. Sure, there is room for improvement - probably with the speakers. I almost ordered a pair of these last spring when I got my new receiver. I'm still thinking about it. The only problem there is no place near me that carries them so that I could listen before buying. I have never bought a pair of speakers without hearing them first - and I don't want to start now.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm happy with my gear... could it be better? Yes..... bigger room would be helpful ;-)

6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Hmmm...

"Help!"
    "Misery"
    "I'm A Loser"
    "Cry Baby Cry"
    "Run For Your Life"
    "I'll Cry Instead"

I just looked at a songlist. :laugh:

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I am hoping to test it out tonight with a Classic Records Led Zeppelin I that I just got.
    I will play some Beatles AFTER that. My gear could be better, but "it feeds the head" o.k.!

8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'm very happy and content with my system. However, I could use better speakers down the line. Like the JBL 4348s! :cool:

9. Fisico60

Fisico60 New Member

I voted It's getting better because I cannot be satisfied until I find a pair of JBL 4350... and kill my neighbours

As long as you have an original stylus in good shape, you can't buy a better cartridge

10. fathom

fathom Senior Member

Happy. No upgrades planned.

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ah yes, the 4350s...have you checked out Kenrick Sound? They restore old JBLs. The link is in my signature...

12. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I have an original V15 III stylus but it seemed very stiff and harsh sounding with lots of sibilance, I checked the tip with a handlens and it was very sharp and pointy (it came off a 25+ year old system from my father-in-law who used it very little in that time maybe about 5 years in the 80's and only to record to tape). I am guessing the bushings stiffened up or something. I ended up buying a JICO SAS stylus which I absolutely love, that combined with my VPI RCM has made listening to vinyl a religious experience. I haven't heard anything better but haven't really sought out anything either. I just think if I bought a "high-end" turntable I would probably want to get a "high-end" cartridge too. Really the analog component of my system is what I am most happy about, the thing I really don't like at times are my speakers, they don't handle modern electronic music so well because they are very thin on the low-end.

13. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

I am getting off of the equipment merry go round. I hardly have any time to do critical listening and being underemployed has taught me not to constantly lust for the latest and the greatest.

14. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Not dancin' yet, but it is getting better all the time.
    New speakers, new CDP, and a new (used) power amp have definitely moved the experience up quite a few notches. I do believe it will always be a work in progress.

15. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

"It's getting better" for me. Maybe around Christmas I'll get those MMGs I've been waiting for. And thanks to Barry D. for all of his advice! :righton:

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I feel fine enough.

5.1 system could use a proper matched set of better speakers.

But plenty enjoyable as is.

17. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

I'm very happy with my setup -- however; voted that it's getting better as have a McIntosh C500C/C500T coming at end of the month (the controller arrived, but the C500T is on backorder).

18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

i am super happy...all the vintage pieces have been rebuilt and sound excellent (Pilot SA-260, Pilot SA-232 ,Pilot SP-210, and FA-670 tuner)...the CDP is a mcIntosh MCD-7009 which seems to be a great match.

The JBL L-96 have enough bass to keep me happy and have great timbre and clarity. My new rebuilt Micro Seiki will arrive soon....

and i have these puppies to try soon:

Raymond Koonce 6L6's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am very happy with my system but I know that it is not perfect.
    There is always room for improvement although, at this point, I cannot think of anything specific.

20. Dream Operator

Dream Operator New Member

Just moved my speakers into my listening room about a week ago. Now on to room treatment, isolation, better cables, external PC audio interface and so on.

It's getting better!

Tim

21. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

I love my system; only wish I could afford a couple of good speakers... The only thing I'm really missing. Some day...

22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I love all my babies.

I still think I need a couple of room treatments but it sure is a lot better than what it was.

I don't think there could ever be a time when I didn't want something I don't have - I'm not that Zen.

But I love to listen for hours.

-s

23. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

"All You Need Is Naim", and I've got it. ;)

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I would love to hear some Naim equipment.:love:
    For a mid-fi set up I`m happy with the sound of what I have.Of course I would love a true high end stereo.When I tell someone I own a cheapo NAD amp/cd p they think it`s crap,to me it sounds very acceptable,probably because I`m in a small room.I`ve never heard a Naim system but I have been told I should just find a used cd5i-2 and Nait,I won`t be disapointed.Even if I could afford them I`m not sure If they would have good synergy with my speakers.I don`t have a turntable.I realise I`m missing out and I loved vinyl years ago when my older brother & sister played records.I keep putting off buying one because of space,money,and I have a good cd collection wich I find a very convienent and pretty good sounding format even if imperfect.It seems too overwhelming right now to find decent turntable and vinyl pressings of at least my favorite 100 recordings.I keep hearing positive things about Naim.

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm loving my system to be honest. Can't really complain about it. My room is a bit lacking and when I get a bigger space the system will sound even better (well you never know). I keep looking for things to upgrade but really I don't HAVE to upgrade. its more of a want type bug us hi-fi buffs get.

I'm trying to cure myself of it though as I'm not flush with cash!

Eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.