Happyish - a new Steve Coogan comedy on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Synopsis:

Thom Payne (Coogan) is a 44 year old man whose world is thrown into disarray when his 25 year old wunderkind boss arrives, saying things like ‘digital,’ ‘social’ and ‘viral.’ Is he in need of a ‘rebranding,’ or does he just have a ‘low joy ceiling?’ Maybe pursuing happiness is a fool’s errand? Maybe, after 44 years on this ludicrous planet, settling for happyish is the best one can expect.

Hard to tell for sure, but I think it has potential. Happyish premieres April 26, 2015 on Showtime.

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I'll definitely be checking this out.

George P likes this.
  3. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I stumbled across this by accident last night. I was amazed it was showing in prime time on a mainstream Canadian network (CTV) given it's language and subject matter. Nothing seems to be off limits.

4. Deesky

It's being panned by some critics but I quite liked it. Maybe they don't get Coogan.

5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I liked everything but the Mrs Elf scene

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Loved it. Hysterical. And right on much of the time.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

This is the show Philip Seymour Hoffman was going to be in. They shot a pilot with him.

8. Deesky

A strong second episode. I'm liking this show, but then again, I'm a Coogan fan.

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Is that playing somewhere? On my schedule not showing until Sunday.

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I watched the pilot. Just so-so. I like Kathryan Hahn in about everything and Brad Whitford can be great, but after watching the entire first seasons of FX's "Married" and HBO's "Togetherness", this seems all too similar. I only know Coogan from a few movies - Tropic Thunder and Our Idiot Brother, but I don't find him very likable.

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I wish I could see this! Coogan's great. My favorite movie of his is definitely Hamlet 2.

13. Deesky

Episode 3 was probably the funniest so far - great satire and many funny jokes, featuring a guest appearance by Rob Reiner and a gecko!

14. Andy Lee

Andy Lee Active Member

Have you seen both series of The Trip?

15. Deesky

I have. I liked them for the most part (great impersonations and some deep observations on life, etc), but my interest kind of petered out over time because it became a little too repetitive.

16. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I like Coogan but I think this show is unwatchable. All the faux outrage and pretension...watched 2 episodes and I'm done.

Humbuster likes this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

From the OP post sounds like my last year or two at the last Corporation I worked for. "Hey Jason...you are so old school!" said the newly promoted 23 year old graduate Head of Department (who had he joined 15 years previously wouldn't even have been trusted with the coffee machine run).

I shall check it out. Plus I'm...44.

18. Deesky

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I can see how some may dislike the acerbic, pessimistic, darkly comedic tone, but that's kind of the point, as Coogan's character has reached a certain point in his life when he's contemplating his mortality, where he's seen it all and sees through new vacuous trends that don't really mean anything, etc.

But despite all this he still manages to perk up and learn a few things along the way and clearly cares deeply for his young son and his wife. This is perfectly illustrated in the last episode (5), which concludes with am especially heartwarming scene.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the heads up, I will have to see this, being a Coogan fan.

20. Complier

Complier Senior Member

The show isn't that bad but man does that kid get on my nerves.

21. A very funny show. I'm surprised that the companies that own these trademark characters allow thm to be used in the show.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I really like this show.

23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I love Coogan and this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review.

24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Well..the show finished last night and I can't image it will be renewed for a second season. I'm a huge Coogan fan so I stuck it out for the entire season and I left feeling satisfied with its ending.

25. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Is it just me or did it feel like each episode was the same as the one before it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.