" Hard to find 45's on CD" series: When exactly did they stop using noise reduction?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny33, Apr 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny33

johnny33 New Member Thread Starter

On what volume did they stop using noise reduction on this cd series?

I looked in the archives but couldnt find exactly the volume they stopped using NR.

And do we still like these?

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I just recently acquired Vol 8 - Seventies Pop Classics. Ironcially, most of the songs on here were not really that "hard to find" since I have most on them already on the Rhino Have a Nice Day CD's, but that's ok. Any CD that has Ebony Eyes, Right Time of the Night, and Fool (If You Think It's Over) is just alright with me.

I couldn't tell if it used NR though. I was too busy diggin' the music in the car to listen for noise reduction.

3. johnny33

Thanks Mike. I am not trying to come across as though I am picky. I dont really have to strain to hear heavy handed use of NR.

From what I understand from other threads these "first few" were badly NR'd. I can deal with a smidge here and there if I have to. But these are supposedly really bad.

That's why I am asking on what volumes they stopped using the NR or at least stopped using it to such a great degree.

4. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I don't think you'll have a problem with those mastered by Tom Daly...

I think it was just the first two that are a bit off.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm almost certain volume 5 was mastered by Tom, and that most certainly has noise reduction. I believe a volume or two later he noted he was changing his approach and reduced or eliminated NR.

6. johnny33

Thanks Ox.

Thanks Luke. Nice to have you posting again btw.

7. Mediaace

Mediaace New Member

The only thing I can say about NR is that today I only use it when I have to. Such an occasion might be when no master tape exists and the only useful source of a track is a 78 rpm record, or a 45 rpm record pressed on recycled asphalt. When the noise level in the lead-in groove is louder than the music on the record, trust me, that record needs NR to save it! I know we used to use some heavy-handed NR, but that stopped several years ago.

It seems I remember "Pink Shoelaces" on Too Cute potentially benefiting from a little NR and a few manual click removals.

Tom Daly

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Hi Tom,

I believe you already have an account here as Tom Daly. Your work over the past several years sounds very good to me...

Bob-:wave:

9. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Volume 6 was recommended here as a good source for "Master Jack" by Four Jacks and a Jill. I bought it. Overall, the CD is excellent, and "Master Jack" sounds better than my original 45.

10. eriejwg

eriejwg Active Member

I've had Tom work on a couple 45 remasterings for me and yes, his work is top notch.

11. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Was there another Series of 45 on CDs that Dennis Drake mastered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.