Hardware needed to appreciate high-quality vinyl LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by beatsmd, Sep 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatsmd

beatsmd New Member Thread Starter

After years of listening to cheap LPs I purchased from local record shops and Amazon, I've been reading the forums here and would like to experience the benefits of high-quality vinyl LPs, e.g., reissues from Analogue Productions, Music on Vinyl, and MOFI. But before I take the plunge, I'm wondering if the benefits of these LPs will be negated by my hardware. I'll be the first to admit it--my hardware is inexpensive. I'm currently using a U-Turn Audio Orbit turntable, Cambridge Audio CP2 phono preamp, Pioneer SX-750 receiver, and Debut B5 speakers. With this setup, will I be able to appreciate the difference between a high-quality reissue and cheap grey market LP, or do I need to spend a few thousand dollars on better hardware before I worry about the LPs themselves?

BrentB likes this.
  2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That should be a decent enough rig to hear the differences in mastering's. And if the LPs are 45s, you'll likely hear an improvement in quality. If they are 33s, then its more of a toss-up as to whether you prefer the new mastering or not, whether your vintage records are good pressings or not.

Aftermath, Mr.Sign, sacakl and 2 others like this.
  3. Michael Renwick

Michael Renwick https://www.reddit.com/r/VPIturntables/

Vinyl is pay to play, there is no question about it.
    What cartridge is on the U-turn?

hammr7 and beatsmd like this.
  4. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I'd 2nd the idea that getting a couple of 45rpm albums and see what diefferences you hear ..i would get one that you also have already to hear what a better vinyl can do with your existing kit ....before spending on new kit

...its what i did a few years ago to "prove to myself" that better vinyl would bring better sound and it did so then i happily started upgrading my kit too .. each time comparing like that after a purchase ..some things could be placebo of course but thats life and others who have heard my records playing say they sound great so i'm happy

beatsmd likes this.
  5. beatsmd

Thanks for your responses!

Unfortunately, I have very few vintage pressings. I'm embarrassed to say that I bought several of the Waxtime (and similar) reissues before I realized what they are (and what they're not).

I'm currently using an Ortofon OM 5E but have considered upgrading to a 2M Blue.

6. Mccrip

Mccrip Forum Resident

You will hear a difference for sure and yes its worth it.

7. One easy, single solution to a high quality LP that can be used for system evaluation is Acoustic Sounds' 45 rpm of Surfer Girl. Side 2 has The Rocking Surfer that leads into Little Deuce Coupe. Rockin Surfer sounds about as near to a raw master tape as you can get. Little Deuce Coupe is either a digital source or a safety copy (or both maybe). In general all of the cuts have wide stereo with the rich, layered harmonies of the Beach Boys on the vocal cuts. It's worth every penny of the $55 it will cost you.

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

A cartridge upgrade is mandatory IMO. The OM-5 is not a good cartridge. I would not consider an OM series unit below the OM-20. But I'm not sure what the best bang for your buck is in MM carts though. Perhaps one of the ATs? Or just a stylus 20?

And vintage vinyl can sound great. It all depends on the particular pressing and how well it was treated by the previous owners. So there is no need to buy new audiophile pressings.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    bdfin, E.Baba, Dubmart and 1 other person like this.
  9. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Love the Pioneer SX-750. My first true hi-fi receiver - bought new in the '70s. Still have it - but not in use right now. Had it fully-refurbished a year or two ago.

Jeff

10. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Get maybe a Stylus 20 or Stylus 30 for your Ortofon, simple swap and a nice improvement.

EVG now makes a nude true elliptical for that cartridge as well. Some of the guys @ VinylEngine give it very favorable reviews, but I haven't actually tried one. It isn't expensive, like $30 or $40.

Oh, and KAB sells the stylus for the 40th anniversary Concorde for something like $100, and that should work for you, too. Nude elliptical, real Ortofon, 1.8g (I think) tracking force.

beatsmd, Oelewapper and TarnishedEars like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

This.
    The OM30 is a nude fineline stylus, which is on par with a 2M Bronze.
    A good upgrade.

12. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

How is Acoustic Sounds? I’ve been using Discogs lately.

beatsmd likes this.
  13. Every order I have placed with them went off without a hitch. Their shipping boxes are like tanks!

14. coolhandjjl

The biggest thing is finding out what vinyl release is the one worth buying. For vinyl I bought so far, I’ve been lucky searching here for ‘the one to get’

MCM_Fan, beatsmd and morinix like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Remember, you’ll get some immediate benefit now. But as you upgrade your system, you will hear the benefits of the record collection you have put together so it doesn’t do any harm I guess. Just remember to dedicate some money for hardware upgrades and keep a balance between buying loads of expensive pressings and upgrading your hardware.

PoeRaider and beatsmd like this.
  16. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :righton:

Do That.

and maintain clean your records and stylus.

old music lover and beatsmd like this.
  17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Well they own a mastering studio (The Mastering Lab), recording studios (Blue Heaven Studios), their own label (Analog Productions) and a pressing plant (QRP). All are on site in Kansas. I think they're doing all right. I've been buying records from them for over 2 decades. I've never had problem with them.

mreeter, beatsmd, elvisizer and 2 others like this.
  18. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

My $.02...upgrade your cart and speakers. You will hear an appreciable difference.

An Ortofon Bronze and a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80's should do the trick.

19. Not only that, but Chad really does jump through the hoops with sourcing master tapes, finding the right artwork..... I've talked to him a few times. He has boundless energy when it comes to running his company.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

First, AP and MOFI are in a totally different category than MOV. Most of MOV's stuff are just DMM cuts from hi-rez digital, at best. AP and MOFI, most of the time, will cut from tape if the album was originally recorded on tape.

RE: your equipment, you can always upgrade that later. I do not think you'll get the full benefit of any great record with that gear. I'm not a fan of the Orbit at all. Old receivers - not a fan unless they've been fully overhauled. Most sellers will just make them look good cosmetically and not do a full servicing. Deoxit and new lamps is not a full servicing.

Now, the main reason I say you can upgrade later is audiophile pressings from AP, MOFI, Speakers' Corner, Impex, etc. are often limited. Depending on the title they can sell very quickly or sometimes quite slowly. If there is a high demand title you really want now, get it now before it's a lot more expensive on the secondary market. Playing these records on your current system is not going to hurt them, but you'll probably enjoy them more down the line when you upgrade some aspects of your system.

If you just keep blowing money on crappy public domain pressings you're basically left with junk not worth listening to after you upgrade. Good luck getting your money back for any of those records also if you try to sell them.

Of course, you don't mention your budget and I have no idea what it is. If your budget is very limited but you want to upgrade badly you might need to buy fewer records overall for awhile and just put most of your record budget into the upgrade fund.

Big Blue, Don P. and beatsmd like this.
  21. beatsmd

Thanks again, everyone! I'm excited to put your great advice to use.

Good point. I will watch out for the titles I want most.

I think I can afford to spend up to $1,000 on hardware during the next year. It looks like that would easily cover the stylus or cartridge upgrades that have been suggested, but it sounds like many of you would suggest getting a different turntable and/or receiver. I'm all ears.

I'm definitely open to upgrading the cartridge or even the entire turntable, if there's one you recommend within my budget. I've been really happy with the Elac Debut speakers but maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I would put that $1K total towards the turntable first. If you have money left over, or need to wait until the following year after that, use your budget to purchase a new integrated or get the Pioneer fully overhauled. Of course that would mean that you have access to a good local technician. If not, just buy new unless you are prepared to ship the Pioneer out and spend quite a bit of money on having it refurbed.

Worry about cartridge upgrades later, after you have a new TT.

One more thing: before purchasing a new amp, it is a good idea to have a general idea of the speakers you want down the line, even if that purchase is a 2-3 years away. The big reason is to make sure the amp you end up with has enough power for the speakers.

23. marysdad

marysdad Forum Resident

Get yourself some inexpensive NM vinyl mastered by Bob Ludwig. If it doesn't knock your socks off, sound wise, the issue won't be addressed by better vinyl. Make sure that your set-up is getting you everything your equipment has to offer. Be anal about set-up. Lots of tweaks can be found here and made for little or no outlay. Then, spend your bucks on upgrading your table, speakers, and cartridge.

24. coolhandjjl

NM?

25. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

E.Baba and coolhandjjl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.