Has anyone bought The Who Ultimate Collection CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris Desjardin, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'll have to check again, but I'm pretty certain the version on Magic Bus is just another fake stereo mix. The version on the box set is the same recording - it's a *very* narrow stereo mix.

I'd have to listen again, but I'd be *very* surprised if the overload was gone, considering due to Jon's mastering there is digital overload/distortion elsewhere (see I'm A Boy).

2. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Thanks for the comprehensive look, Luke. I'm glad someone can keep all the versions straight.

Had a chance to listen last night, and my comments are basically the same as Luke's. Original mixes (yay) with that special Astley touch (boo) -- noise reduction and shrill EQ.

One futher note -- the volume jump on Pictures of Lily after the horn break that was on MBBB is not present here. I guess that's a mastering artifact rather than in the mix. Either that or Astley "fixed" it.

And will we ever see the long version of Magic Bus? Heaven knows they've given us the short mono version enough times marketed as a "rarity."

What I'm wondering is why they went to the trouble of Astleyizing the original mixes when the remixes were just sitting there ready to go. MCA isn't known for spending money just for the heck of it -- chances are most people who would be tempted to buy this wouldn't know or care which mix was used. Most of those who would get excited about getting the original mixes aren't in the market for greatest hits comps, especially for a band as overexposed in that arena as the Who.

Maybe they're going back and remastering the original mixes for yet another series of reissues, perhaps on SACD this time. Too bad Astley's at the helm.

Ryan

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, the reason Astley is in charge is politics. I believe Universal doesn't want to piss Pete off, by not using his (ex?) brother in law.

As for the original mixes, my *guess* is that was brought on by Bill Levenson and Andy McKaie, but I'm not sure. As I noted, they finally decided to look for good tapes (I'm almost certain Magic Bus comes direct from the stereo master, the same one Steve used for MBBB), but of course it was ruined by the mastering.

I sent off a note to the respective parties saying pretty much the same thing. We'll see what, if any, response that gets.

4. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

It is gone, and that appals me !!! :mad:

I couldn't believe that when I heard it -- I picked it up on the first listen of the track. Roger's scream just doesn't have that same element of rage without the overload noise !

The one thing I wonder (I'd have to listen to both to verify): Could they have possibly sneaked in the remix from MG-TVBOTW for this comp instead of taking the time to clean up the original? The only reason I ask this is both versions sound so much alike otherwise. (I've never actually A/Bd the two or synced them up; perhaps that's a project for me to undertake in the not-too-distant future.)

5. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

A quick footnote to the above:

There is also some vocal distortion missing from 5:15 (a little bit still lingers). I know the original mix was used for this one.

6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's possible. The remix just about matches the original exactly, other than the crackle.

Funny...I never even notice that breakup anymore.

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually, IMO, *this* kind of "cleanup" (if that's the case here) is fine. If done right, you're only altering a few blips here and there. Just like removing clicks from an LP dub. I'm all for it. If you've got the right software, it won't affect the rest of the audio at all.

Of course, as you know, I can't stand noise reduction. That's something totally different, which just kills the sound.

9. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

Your point is well taken. I'm just saying that for myself, for a "loud" band like The Who, it seems to add to the experience -- and the message the song (and band) is attempting to get across. Plus, to borrow from part of Steve's philosophy, it is part of the master tape. You're right -- I'm otherwise in favor of it, too. I just see this band's song as the one exception in this particular case for reasons previously stated.

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

OK guys (and gals), I have a dilemma. I purchased the Ultimate Collection on Tuesday from Best Buy for $15.99 but haven't opened it yet. Are there any saving graces to this collection or should I just return the unopened cd for a refund. Any thoughts or guidance will be appreciated.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I suppose I could be wrong, but I really don't think mixing console overload was the "message" they were trying to get across...

While I do agree with Steve as far as hiss goes (if it's on the master, leave it), I *don't* agree with him when it comes to stuff like this. If you can fix it without hurting anything (and in cases like this, you can), I say fix it. All those little ticks on Wheels Of Fire and Layla? I'd probably remove them.

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Er...

The bonus disc does have the US single version of Substitute in decent quality. It also has an alternate mix of the acoustic Happy Jack. Other than that? Not really.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Hitching my anchor to the real world for a moment...

In terms of song selection and the mixes used on all but two tracks, it is as close to perfect as any two CD or less Who hits package as anyone has come to date IMHO (I would have added Young Man Blues, Relay, and probably Another Tricky Day - and they should have just gone with the mono mixes of Happy Jack and Call Me Lightning). It will not hold up to audiophile scrutiny/critical listening due mostly to the no-noising and other mastering quirks. That being said, I find it more listenable than, say, The Beatles 1 CD. If you can live with that, you'll be fine. If you were looking for a sonically perfect assemblage of all of those songs of which you already had multiple versions on CD & LP over the years, then you will probably want your money back.

Actually, The Beatles 1 analogy is apt. If you picked it up looking for a sonic improvement over their previous CDs, you would want your money back, too. The Ultimate Collection at least fills a growing hole in the currently available Who catalog by offering the original mixes of most of the tracks.

That's all the nice stuff I could think to say. :)

Regards,

14. Matt

Matt New Member

If you have the resources, I'd make my own compilation. I can borrow the box set from the library, and I own Who's Better, Who's Best and Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy (all bought for about $5 apiece), plus some of the remasters (all bought through BMG).

The more I think about it, the Ultimate Collection isn't worth it if you have a CD burner. With the fake stereo tracks, the poor mastering...

"Call Me Lightning" I can get elsewhere without the fake stereo, the original mix to I'm A Boy is on "Who's Better, Who's Best" in much better sound, the bonus disc isn't that good (only two seem like real 'collector's items': Substitute - US single version and the Happy Jack acoustic. I don't see myself listening to them much. The US Substitute is more like censored version of the original, and Happy Jack is better in the original single version).

15. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

:eek: I think the waveform speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Lord have mercy.

17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hey Steve, could you decode what's going on in that colorful wavform picture a post or two back - it looks like theres not much happening in the way of dynamics, like everything got squooshed (compressed?)... :confused:

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

There ARE no dynamics. All lopped off by the digital maximizer.

Congress should pass a law: "Do not mutilate music".

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Guess it should sound great on my boombox - remind me, why did I bother getting tube amps??? Subtlety, schmutultey... :mad:

20. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I can't believe that you wouldn't hear the clipping on any cheap boombox. At least you don't need to buy equipment with a VU meter.

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

Hey Steve, Jason, or or whoever can...

can you post a similar waveform pic from a "well-mastered" disc, say any DCC title, for comparison's sake? Or from a better sounding version of "Miles?"

22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If it does not sound good on your boombox, it should be at its best in your car with the windows down traveling 50 mph or more on a poorly maintained road.

Regards,

23. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Jason, (or anyone else) I'm just curious. What software are you using to capture those screenshots? I've seen other people capture their Cool Edit Pro visuals as well, and I'd like to know what's the best way to do it.

(I've got some waveform samples here that would make peoples hair stand up on the back of their neck....in horror...lol)

24. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

You really need no software for the actual capture -- just the Print Screen key (Win95/98/98SE/NT/2000/XP).

I use Paint Shop Pro to edit/save the captures.

25. KLM

KLM Senior Member

Jason,
    You know what might make an interesting comparriosn would be to take a sample off of Steve's Who's Next or Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy and then off the same song at the same moment off the new Ultimate Collection just to see what the wavelength looks like (with and without compression and other nasties).

And since it has come up a couple of times, Steve's Meaty Beaty Big & Boucy ($5.92) and the Who's Better Who's Best collection ($10.52) are available at hmv.com. I just placed my order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.