Has anyone compared these speakers, KEF LS 50/Vandersteen 1Ci?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do you feel like the Vandersteen is a more ‘forward’ speaker?

2. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  3. timind

timind phorum rezident

I haven't worked in a studio since 87, but this is a perfect way to understand the difference between the two speakers.

I spent an hour or so last night with the tweeter adjusted down nearly 2db and enjoyed the sound quite a bit. Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to listen a bit more critically this weekend.

@ThorensSme, what exactly do you mean by "forward."

ThorensSme likes this.
  4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

No. Now I had the 1B for a long while, but it has a different tweeter. I think the Vandersteens are very relaxed and great for long listening sessions. Our ears are tuned to a certain frequency range, and sometime flat response can sound forward. The fact that an 8" driver handles the mids AND is firing up above your head means that you listen to that upper mid range off axis. The Vandersteens are the opposite of forward, but not backward. :laugh:

ThorensSme likes this.
  5. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apologies for the poor phrasing. What I mean by forward, is in terms of musical presentation. I feel as if the KEF's are giving me fairly accurate, mid hall performances on many of my records. In general a sort of you are there feeling. Sometimes I miss the more up close personal feel of some vintage speakers, that make things seem like they are much closer to you. I hope that description makes some sense!

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.