Has anyone heard of the band Felt?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Jun 20, 2003.

1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Sometimes I shouldn't post at 3am. Brain fade is happening regularly. Splendour of Fear is one of the two he thinks was OK.
    It's like the two Nirvanas and two Black Sheeps. Felt is a great name for a band (double meaning), so is the Dickies.

Pavol Stromcek and John Fell like this.
  2. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

The first time I stumbled upon this super creepy looking album in a record store, I did a double take because of the name, of course. One of my local record shops has had this LP sitting in a Felt section intended for the 80s Felt for years now. (A Felt section which almost never has any records by the band it was intended for, of course!)

3. Pavol Stromcek

Hey, has anyone ever had the chance to compare the UK LP pressing of Goldmine Trash with the US version on PVC? I adore this compilation, and it was one of the first things I bought of theirs when I was discovering them, but the PVC pressing sounds like garbage. Side two is noticeably (and quite audibly) off center, and on side one, it sounds like a needle drop of an off-center record was used for "Penelope Tree," and probably the other previously released tracks as well. Also, the whole thing just seems to lack a bit of detail or clarity, which becomes especially apparent when you listen to some of these songs on their original vinyl releases. (Sure enough, after listening last night, I pulled out my "Penelope Tree" 12", and while it is a bit off center just like the Goldmine version, it nevertheless sounded a lot clearer. Similarly, "Fortune" - one of my favorite songs ever - sounds clearer on the "Sunlight" 12").

I have (and usually listen to) the 2006 CD, and it's better on some tracks, but it's no sonic marvel by any means. For example, "Sunlight Bathed the Golden Glow" has the exact same audible distortion in the same spots on the PVC LP and 2006 CD.

So, I'm sort of wondering if the UK LP is any better, though I have my doubts given that the UK CD isn't so great. (I've never heard the original CD).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Any news on the upcoming releases? Been a few months since this thread was bumped!

TomNYC, Pavol Stromcek and oldturkey like this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

So, has this reissue project been shelved indefinitely? I'm starting to doubt that it will ever materialize.

At any rate, in one of my local record shops, over the weekend I saw something strange in the nearly-always-empty Felt LP section: a record with the cover art of Forever Breathes the Lonely Word, but with a very strange, black-and-white-ish tint. When I looked at the back, rather than Forever Breathes' track listing, it said "Complete BBC Sessions" and listed more than a dozen tracks that I presume are Felt's complete BBC sessions. Anyhow, I'm assuming this is a bootleg, and it clearly has nothing to do with this allegedly forthcoming reissue campaign.

Has anyone else seen this? I didn't buy it, since I'd read nothing about it, and didn't want to pay ~$20 for something with potentially dodgy sound quality. But it dawned on me, I don't think I've ever heard any BBC sessions by Felt.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    BeardedSteven likes this.
  6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Never seen it but if I do you can be damn sure I will drop the $20 on it.

7. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

It's a boot of the sessions that made the rounds back in the "tape trading" era of the 80's to early 90's. Good sound quality, and the LP is blue vinyl.

8. Pavol Stromcek

Interesting! If the quality is good, I may just have to go back and grab a copy.

9. hutlock

Feel free to grab me one too if they have more than one copy. I am totally good for it!

BeardedSteven and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  10. Pavol Stromcek

Sure. I probably won't make it back 'til the weekend, but I'll see what they have.

11. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I bought that BBC Sessions LP and am happy with it too. I don't have the audiophile ears but it sounded pretty ok for a boot to me. Not a crappy tape hiss recording or anything. I can also see if my store has any more this week.

Pavol Stromcek and factory44 like this.
  12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

13. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, I had a hyperlink to that in my post above. Looks like there are a few for sale on there. Your description is very encouraging! How are the performances?

Must get back to the record store ASAP!

14. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I think it all hangs on Lawrence's involvement and from what I can gather, he's notoriously 'difficult to pin down'.

bleachershane likes this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, Lawrence definitely has a reputation for being 'difficult,' but still, it's been nearly a year since that 'teaser' from Cherry Red with the ltd. edition labels, and since then we've heard zilch. This project is moving at an almost comically slow pace!

16. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

And remember Go Kart Mozart's Mini Mart has been talked up since at least 2013...

mfp and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  17. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I'll be really disappointed if the box set's been canceled. I love what I've heard from Felt, but not being able to actually buy their music has been a major obstacle for me. I check the Felt sections almost every time I go to music stores, and they're always empty. It's been a really frustrating experience as a would-be fan, and it has to be detrimental to the band to have zero presence wherever music is sold.

I want to love you, Felt, but you won't let me.

Pavol Stromcek and bleachershane like this.
  18. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

If this reissue project is dead then that's the second aborted Felt reissue project in the past two years. Captured Tracks seems to have completely abandoned their plans too as far as I can tell.

19. bleachershane

I really hope it's not complete abandoned, just delayed for one reason or another. Not delayed for another ten years delayed though... I think all of us have gotten fed of of the false hope flags each time this thread is rejuvenated, wondering if there'll finally be a release date for the reissues!

20. Pavol Stromcek

Okay, so I made it back to Amoeba in SF and grabbed a copy of the Felt BBC sessions LP. It was the last copy, unfortunately, at least for the time being, though interestingly, I noticed they had another copy on hold for someone behind the counter.

Like BeardedSteven said, the sound is decent and listenable. Apart from some mostly light popping and ticking here and there, the pressing is fine, though the labels on the LP are on the wrong sides.

I'd never heard any of these versions before, and the real highlight for me was getting to hear the four tracks from Strange Idols Pattern (my favorite Felt album). Tracks from Ignite the Seven Cannons and Forever Breathes also stood out. I'm glad I picked this up. In the absence of any new Felt reissues, this bootleg collection will tide me over for now.

factory44 and BeardedSteven like this.
  21. bleachershane

22. hutlock

RIP Mick Lloyd

Was generously gifted a copy of the BBC vinyl and like others above was pleasantly surprised on how decent it sounded. I don't care for the quick/cut fades or the labels being on the wrong sides but hey, any new Felt product is good Felt product in my book.

BeardedSteven and Bryce like this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

RIP Mick Lloyd indeed.

Glad you were able to get a copy of the BBC vinyl. I was pleasantly surprised by it as well. Definitely worth having for any serious Felt fan.

24. Registred

Registred Forum Resident

Some really cool interviews with guys who worked with Lawrence on Felt's Declaration and Denim's back in Denim. Its a french website but there's a english version after the french one.
    Artiste : Felt | Soul Kitchen

hutlock and Bryce like this.
  25. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Nice, thanks.
    As much as I love Felt, I am even more fascinated by Denim.

Registred and rediffusion like this.