has anyone heard the EPOS ELS 5.1 speaker system ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deadcoldfish, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Just a casual inquiry if anyone has heard this system yet, and how did it fare:

for Movies ?

for Music ?

and sub vs. satellite integration ?

Thanks

2. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I have an Epos ELS 5.0 system with a separate sub. I bought this "system" before they offered a "system." (ie separately). I think this system sounds fantastic for music and movies. These speakers are no slouch. I have been enjoying music FAR more than I ever had before.

The ELS-3C center channel is a monster, and has exactly the same drivers at the other speakers. Panning across the front is seamless.

For music, in stereo, these speakers image very well. The soundstage is quite wide and deep.

I plug these speakers whenever I can, since they are such a bargain price.

Here's how I have mine setup:

http://www.lafonds.net/gallery/Epos

3. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, what sort of pre-amp/amp or combo are you using to drive them ?

4. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V2095, which was the "flagship" receiver of its time. It's pretty decent, in my opinion, but I'm sure the Epos package would sound even better with other equipment...

5. Jay

Jay New Member

Are they the cute little ones for ~$300 a pair? Also, what is the thing in between the TV and the right speaker?

6. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

Yes, cute. :D

I paid just under $300 per pair (there are back speakers in this setup that aren't shown), plus another $300 for the center channel. The stands, which are designed for the speakers, were somewhere in the low $100s per pair, and I bought 3 pairs (which means that I have one unused and for sale should anyone else choose this same setup).

The black thing between the TV and the speaker is my subwoofer. It's an SV Subwoofer (www.svsubwoofers.com). The model is the 20-39 PC+ powered subwoofer. (20 is the frequency down to which it claims to be flat, 39 is the height in inches).

Here is a less bandwidth friendly picture:

http://www.lafonds.net/gallery/Epos/P4280002?full=1

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

the reflection of the front of the cabinet on the TV screen makes it look like the left edge of the TV is inside the cabinet, rather than behind it!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.