Has Frank Sinatra's first recording "Our Love" ever been released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Quoting from Wikipedia:

"On March 18, 1939, Sinatra made a demo recording of a song called "Our Love", with the Frank Mane band. The record has "Frank Sinatra" signed on the front. The bandleader kept the original record in a safe for nearly 60 years. "

Has this recording ever been released? And if so; where? Thanks.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Not officially.

The original 78 rpm one-off lacquer disc sold for $14,000 several years ago on eBay. See here for more.

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

One small correction: The auction was actually held by Guernsey's in NYC in conjunction with a two-day auction of rock 'n' roll memorabilia from Dick Clark's collection in late 2006. (I remembered eBay because it was possible to follow along and bid online there.) Here is a link to the auction lot description for the Sinatra record:

OurLove1.jpg OurLove2.jpg

MLutthans likes this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For those who prefer paper over Wikipedia bits, an excellent reference about this recording is Chuck Granata's book:
    Sessions with Sinatra : Frank Sinatra and the Art of Recording
    by Charles L. Granata (Foreword by Phil Ramone, Afterword by Nancy Sinatra)
    First (hardcover) edition 1999: A Capella Books, Chicago (256 pages)
    ISBN 1-55652-356-4
    Recommended for much more than the "Our Love" story on pp. 2-3. Also available in paperback.

bozburn likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Frank Sinatra's first studio recording

For those who want to hear this, it's being played on Nancy Sinatra's NANCY FOR FRANK program on the Siriusly Sinatra channel of Sirius/XM radio (satellite and online) this week.

There's one more encore remaining: Thursday, June 10, from 9 p.m. to midnight Eastern time. The "Our Love" segment is about midway through the show, so if you don't want to listen to the entire three-hour program, tune in just before 10:30 p.m. Eastern (7:30 p.m. Pacific).

6. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

That's a great book by Chuck, time to give it another read. I've still yet to hear the song "Our Love" shame I don't own the original :frog: :cool:

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

There's a nice description of the recording, taken from Chuck's book —> "Our Love" with Frank Mane

The current owner of the original record has introduced himself at the SFF.

Here you go, Tina:

8. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Wow I made that post in 2010, thanks Bob, you took your time , LOL! :p Thanks for thinking of me.:wave:

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

"Our Love" is....timeless, Tina.

10. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

As is " Tina" :D

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wow....4:25 in length! 12" @ 78 RPM? Sound quality certainly could be worse.

Bob F likes this.
  12. MLutthans

Are there any versions that have a non-faded-in start, unlike the Youtube file?

13. MLutthans

I think that video is playing a half-step low. It's in the key of F# major (same as G-flat major -- six sharps or six flats, pick your poison), which, while humanly possible, seems highly unlikely, plus Frank (and the whole song) sounds a little sluggish/draggy.

kennyluc1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.