Have You Ever Changed an Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stanlove, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had to make a copy of Bob Dylan's Desire yesterday. I gave my daughter my copy and made one for myself but I replaced Hurricane with Abandoned Love. I realized I have not listened to that song in many years and will never listen to it again but I love AL.

I just can't bring myself to listen to a song that glorifies a murderer and the N-word is troubling. You have to be real careful where you play it and who can hear it.

Anyone else ever change anything?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

The play order of Sgt. Pepper. my Play order goes like this.

Sgt. Pepper
    With a Little Help From My Friends
    Getting Better
    Being For the Benefit of Mr Kite
    Fixing a Hole
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
    She's Leaving Home

Then the rest of Side Two as is. It plays better for me this way and sounds more like a Beatle album than it does the other way. Sacrilege! I know.

andrewskyDE and maui jim like this.
  3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Years ago I made a cassette tape for Quadrophenia that added in the new Who songs Pete wrote for the movie soundtrack, the High Steppers number also on the movie soundtrack album, plus moved a few of the original album cuts around to make the storytelling more linear and understandable.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Hollywood certainly treated him like a hero on Oscar night. "All love", right Denzel? Maybe this year poor misunderstood Tonya Harding can be brought up to the stage and be applauded for having thugs try to break Nancy Kerrigan's leg. Such terrific people they decide to redeem.

Anyway, whenever I burn a CD of "Let It Be" for the car I drop "Dig It" and "Maggie May" and add "Don't Let Me Down". I could also do without the between song "humor" as well.

I like to add "Leather Jacket" to Ben Folds Five "Reinhold Messner" album and drop "Lullaby" but I'm not really sure it works as the closer.

DHamilton and melstapler like this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

When I play my MFSL copy of Curtis by Curtis Mayfield, I usually do a slow manual fade-up into
    "If There's A Hell Below We're All Gonna Go" to avoid alienating my neighbors.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  6. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I added Gary US Bond's version of "Rendezvous " to the end of my cassette copy of Springsteen's "Nebraska". In hindsight, stupid. Not sure what I was thinking.

7. stanlove

I am going to change Dylan's Blood On the Tracks as soon as I can. I like the alternate takes of 5 songs on that album. I like the alternate takes of Idiot Wind, Jack Of Hearts, If You See Her, Meet Me In The Morning, and You're a Big Girl Now much better. Three of those songs I just skip as of now.

8. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The only one I can think of is All Things Must Pass. I burned it all on to single CD (omitting the jam songs). I deleted the second version of "Isn't It a Pity" and added "I Live for You" (in between "Run of the Mill" and "Beware of Darkness," where it appears as a bonus track). That single CD version was the only way I played the album for years and years.

To this day, I think I've heard "Isn't It a Pity (Version 2)" maybe twice.

maui jim likes this.
  9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I never change an albums running order. I also never make copies. In my opinion, that's not cool. I also never paint over any part of a reproductions of a painting or chip out little pieces of sculptures or change the words in any books I myself don't write, or tell Steve Hoffman how to run his forum.

stef1205 likes this.
  10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Which bootleg series has the rest of the Blood in the Tracks takes, Besides the first one?

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (slightly tweaked)

The Song Remains the Same
    Over the Hills and Far Away
    Dancing Days
    Rain song
    Houses of the Holy
    The Rover
    No Quarter
    The Ocean

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Excellent bit of editing.

Scope J likes this.
  13. stanlove

Now that I think about it I also made a copy of the White Album and cut out the songs that I don't like.

14. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

...nor have I ever replayed any broadcast without the written consent of Major League Baseball.

15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

Who's Next:

1. Baba O'Riley 5:08
    2. Bargain 5:34
    3. Love Ain't for Keeping 2:10
    4. My Wife 3:41 Water 4:39
    5. The Song Is Over 6:14 Naked Eye 5:27
    6. Getting in Tune 4:50
    7. Going Mobile 3:42
    8. Behind Blue Eyes 3:42
    9. Won't Get Fooled Again 8:32

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Speaking of context, a friend of mine (when he was very young and impressionable) switched the radion on at the 2.48 point when the following song was being played. As a result, he completely misunderstood where Tom Robinson was coming from:

tin ears likes this.
  17. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

A few thoughts come to mind -
    Yes, one must be aware and knowledgable of what type of entertainment/art that they’re providing and exposing to an impressionable young mind - whether it’s Music, Movies, Art, Literature, TV, etc.

However, if only a few words, or lyrics, in a song is troubling to some, I wonder how limiting that attitude affects their personal enjoyment of many songs, films, novels, cable TV shows, etc that depict a wide variety of characters - possibly fictional or actual - including many that are confused, unsavory, immoral, indecent, evil, troubled, addicted, criminal, foul-mouthed, etc

YMMV

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Now i really want to burn an alternate Desire!

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Removed Let's Spend the Night Together from Aladdin Sane. Often (on suggestion from someone in this forum) adding 'John I'm Only Dancing (sax version)' in its place.

Always make a mono instrumental version of The Gift on all CD masterings of White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground. Sometimes make a version with the instruments only in the right channel, left channel empty. Such a good instrumental.

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

On Pet Sounds i replace I Know There's
    An Answer with Hang On To Your Ego, and
    the correct-speed Caroline No

21. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Nice, I think that's a stronger album than the original

Scope J likes this.
  22. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

That's an alienating line?
    Flipping grateful I don't have neighbours that sensitive.

Lightworker likes this.
  23. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Absolutely. I can even play "Strange Fruit" down in sunny Torquay without getting lynched. But I cannot park outside my house:)

24. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I sometimes do this on Spotify.

I put Bridge Over Troubled Water at the end of the album.

On Roxy Music's Flesh & Blood, I omitted the opening track In The Midnight Hour and replaced it with Same Old Scene.

I added Don't Let Me Down to Let It Be.

I just download the albums as a playlist and then change it.

25. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Man....you've just gone TOO far.....you are gonna attract some serious scorn from the users of this forum, that for sure. :agree::winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.