Haymarket Square – Magic Lantern – the best vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VitaliyK, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VitaliyK

VitaliyK Member Thread Starter

Hello! I`m very fond of this album, the music is somehow Jefferson Airplane like, and vocals is great also. So it`s musthave, and for me it musthave on vinul. But to get the original 1968` Chapparal is unattainable dream. Therefore the reissues left. According to Discogs they were on LP Haymarket Square - Magic Lantern : german unofficial release CRM-201 (1987), Osmose, Void Records, Sacred Temple 2001, Gear Fab/Comet, Guerssen.

Besides this issues, as many authors say, in the intervening decades since its release, Magic Lantern was extensively bootlegged, especially in America and Europe.

Anybody listened any of them, which sounds best?

Maybe there`s a sense to take german unofficial release Haymarket Square - Magic Lantern of late 1980 rather than 21st century remasters? Honestly I don`t see the sense in buying ON VINYL modern remasters of 1960-s` albums, or maybe I mistake? From the other hand there`s quote of Haymarket Square drummer`s post here, on stevenhoffmann forum:

“The recording engineer that recorded the album only had experience in recording country and western music. You can only imagine what he thought when we arrived !!!!! …….. The music was recorded on a two track tape recorder. No possibility for double tracking, adding multiple voices, or adding a second guitar. ADT (automatic double tracking) was not an option”.

This means that the original release, i.e. that from what all following reissues made, was far from masterpiece by itself. Obviously unofficial unremastered reissues will not be better as a minimum.

Patrick Lundborg in The Acid arcives says that the Osmose issue has a skip in the first track from the vinyl transfer. I think this excludes this issue from consideration.

I didn`t listened vinyl issues, but i`ve listened the album on remastered CD, and it`s reeemastereeeeed, I`d say, strongly. Sounds…… artificially. Will be the same with remastered LP?

So, the sence of my queston is: unofficials vs. modern remasters in case of this exact album – who have listening experience?

And in addition: anybody knows the sources of additional information and details about group history and life of group members after it broken? I mean extra information to practically identical text at allmusic, tymemashine and many other sites?

johnwilliamhunte and Suncus like this.
  2. VitaliyK

VitaliyK Member Thread Starter

Anybody?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.