Heads Up! Fleetwood Mac On Today Show Today!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonfan, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member Thread Starter

Bonus Q:
    What song does Lindsey rip off on Murrow Turning Over In His Grave?;)

2. stever

stever Senior Member

I hear, "World Turning." Dateline had an interview with the band on Wednesday night.

3. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

They did Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, and Peacekeeper (with 1 more song to go). Boy do they miss Christine McVie. Warbling vocals, out of tune guitars. Stevie looked completely lifeless and disinterested (although the 36 degree NYC weather may have have damped her spirits).

4. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

What difference would Christine McVie make playing outdoors in near freezing temperatures? No spring chickens, these people.

I'm actually glad Christine is gone. I really could not take any more of her one dimentional sappy love songs.

5. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Yeah, I was wathing this also after turning on the tube this morning to the Today show. They looked lifeless on stage. Stevie acted as though she couldn't wait until they could get off the stage.

I didn't even know that Christine Mc Vie was gone. Is she included on the recent album they released or was she gone prior to that? I will miss the harmonies . Christine was not the major force in the music but played a crucial role in the Modern Day Fleetwood Mac sound anyway I think.

6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Boy did they sound lousy.

It was great wasn't it? <not sarcastic>

Live rock n' roll - I love it. I played in bands in my youth, and did live sound after. Don't matter if the gee-tar is louder than the vocal.

So Lindsay's axe was out of tune on their first song (and that caused him to sing off-key). So Stevie was freezing. It was LIVE. It could have been better. (Jimmy Page once said about Live Aid something to the effect of they played for the first time in 5 years, in front of 1 billion people and his guitar was out of tune).

Hell, I am not a Mac Fan. I NEVER listen to them - - - no offense to those that are. I just respect anyone that does it live. This ain't no studio, this ain't laboratory..... this is the ROOT of music. **** happens.

I love live music. I loved the Stones on HBO - I love and respect any band that can cut it in front of an audience. What do you think got them that record contract in the first place.

It could have been better, but at least it was real.

7. lennonfan

yeah, the weather sucked. and nobody picked out the Lindsey ripoff that I asked a Q about at the beginning of this thread, either.
    LOL

8. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I didn't see the show, but I heard a song on the radio that I thought was a slightly reworked Paul Simon tune. Kodachrome, maybe? I'm not sure. The radio guy said that it was a new song by Fleetwood Mac. Boy, this one is really obvious. I don't know how this could ever get released without giving Paul credit.

9. chris w.

chris w. New Member

If it's really obvious, then how come you're not sure?

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Gack! Choke! [Coughing in my tea] I'll admit Christine McVie's solo album was a stone bore without her bandmates' harmonies and production, but I'd say the same about Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks as well. These guys don't sound right without each other: not enough variety or vocal support. I'm not buying the new album if McVie's absent. Her simple love songs ground Buckingham's more quirky offerings, and whatever hit-and-miss private musings Nicks has set to a near-random set of chord changes.

11. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I'm sure it sounds like a Paul Simon song. I am not sure of the title of the Paul Simon song, although I've heard it many times.

12. lennonfan

I hear Christine is working on another solo album. I found a few good cuts on her '84 lp, and I really like the Legendary Christine Perfect lp, but I like the balance she brings to the and as well. She is on the new Mac lp, but I don't know where...possibly the opening cut? It sounds like she may be in the harmonies, and it's a terrific tune, it should be a single (what's the world coming to).
    and still, nobody has figured out the trivia question. sigh.

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I dunno, but I hear "I'm So Afraid" towards the end, or "Tango In The Night", take your pick...

You must be referring to "Peacekeeper". But there is only a brief sonic resemblance at the beginning of the chorus.

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Peacekeeper" is definately a rip-off of another song (especially the chorus) and my wife and I are killing ourselves to figure out what song it is?

Note: We don't believe that it's another Fleetwood Mac" song that they are ripping off, it's some 80's hit!?!

Note: Note: I personally love that "Murrow Turning Over In His Grave Song" once it finds the beat and hits that catchy chorus (definately a steal of MOBY's "Southside"!)

Chris C

15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

When they did it live, my ears perked up immediately during the chorus. Once the song was over I hummed it to myself a few times and realized it was "Kodachrome". The melody may vary a bit, but the similarity is pretty obvious.
    JD

16. lennonfan

ok, no one got it so I'll spill the beans.
    The Murrow track chorus is a very direct rip of Black Betty by Ram Jam.
    Now you will never hear it the same ever again;)

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Lennonfan...YOU ARE CORRECT!

Idiot me thought it was MOBY's "Southside"...Black Betty which was actually a LEADBELLY song loooooong before RAM JAM touched it in the 70's!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.