Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah, it surprised me. I wonder if some batches have power supply issues.

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've been using the iPower PSU on both the V1 and V2 and haven't had an issue. Fingers crossed.

3. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

Yes. Go with the 36db option. You'll hardly notice the difference. Speaking from experience with another phono stage. Gain is gain regardless of brands.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I bought an ex-dem one last year which died after about a week. Got a full refund.

Admittedly I hadn't had long with it, but I didn't find it the revelation that many others have. Minimal, if any, improvement on the (excellent) internal stage of my Sony ES amp.

Not doubting the positive views up thread, just wanted to point out that what is well reviewed might not work in your own system.

PATB likes this.
  5. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'll be receiving mine in a couple of days (hopfully it works)!!! Do you guys use the eRIAA setting?

Heckto35 likes this.
  6. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I do. It should be noted that our host says expressly not to.

Heckto35 and Nielsoe like this.
  7. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

No (on the original). Makes the treble seem artificially boosted to me.

8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Pretty much the same for me, to me the standard RIAA works best. I've tried both eRIAA with and without subsonic filters and normal, no filter is where I landed. eRIAA isn't offensive, I just have tweeters that can get the slightest bit edgy when boosted even a little.

Shiver and Nielsoe like this.
  9. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

ahhh... good question and very helpful responses! I believe I'm hearing a bit of edginess in the highs. Forgot the eRIAA is the default setting. I'm going to change to the standard RIAA and see if it helps.

10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I remember trying out both for awhile. Didn't see the point of the enhanced setting which sounded worse

Nielsoe and Joe Spivey like this.
  11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up. I left mine in the default setting. I'll try RIAA tomorrow.

Nielsoe likes this.
  12. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I had a look at a photo of the ifi's underside and it's various options and returning to my initial question regarding the load and gain needs for my Grado (mm needing 60 dB of gain): If in fact I use the mm input it's still possible to get 60 dB of gain isn't it? It seems the gain (and eRIAA, RIAA and IEC) are chosen separately. Am I right?

13. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

You'd have to use the MC input for 60dB, then +12 switch if you wanted 72.

MM input would be default 36dB then +12 switch for 48 (I think that's what the MM is at).

60 for MM? What's the cart output?

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Ups! I see that now, you're right! It's a Grado Platinum Statement with an 0,5 mv output.

Shiver likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Curious to read your thoughts as you've now been exposed to the eRIAA setting since you've gotten the unit and are now used to it. I wonder what your reaction will be to hear familiar music with the RIAA setting instead.

Will it be too different for you to appreciate or will you enjoy that setting even more?

Heckto35 likes this.
  16. Joe Spivey

Well after a few more days with the iPhono 2 I believe all the praise received is well deserved. It is a great sounding phono stage and much quieter than my previous phono stage. It commands the lower end better, seems to dig deeper and with more definition. It's quite impressive. Soundstage and depth is quite good and is on par with my previous stage with a bit more depth I believe. Resolution and dynamics are also on par and excellent as well.

I did switch from eRIAA to RIAA which helped but did not completely eliminate the edginess I was hearing in the highs. As for vocals, I feel they are bit recessed and not as forward. Generally there is something about the highs and vocals that aren't as liquid as I'd like. Perhaps this will change in time, we'll see

The iPhono is a step in the right direction but I'm not sure it's enough of a change personally to make it permanent.

Heckto35 likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

There are many many curves so I'd suggest experimenting further. Although I'm sure you've verified this, I'd perhaps look at making sure the loading is correctly implemented as well.

18. Joe Spivey

Good suggestion - I haven't played around with the other curves so I'll give that a shot. Yes, loading isn't as straight forward as turning a knob but I have verified the settings are what I've intended. I believe loading to be a minor seasoning of the sound and it's even more so with the iPhono 2....even between 100Ω and 1kΩ there is only the slightest, if any, change. My previous stage, loading options were much more distinct at 50Ω, 100Ω, 250Ω, and 1KΩ.

Also a general statement about usability... it could be better. The dip switches are a PITA and aren't the easiest to use or figure out. Luckily, once it's dialed in I suppose it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

I read some people use the curves called Columbia or Decca as they're more pleasing in their system. Honestly, the naming of those curves wouldn't stop me from using them. In the end, it's all about the result. :)

Happy experimenting!

russk likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Are you using it with the puny switch mode PS? Waiting for a 3 pin converter plug. It appears they don't use a standard power socket (more like a headphone type) which makes finding a linear which connects difficult. This is something that should make a large improvement. I'm confident it won't come anywhere near the NVA phono 2 which is a fairly simple RIAA circuit of high quality components with a large separate toroidal supply. You can add a second supply (one per channel).

21. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I flipped the switches to RIAA and damn if I don't think it sounds better. Thanks!

22. Joe Spivey

Well, I happened to find a local sell of a Tavish Design Vintage 6SL7 phono stage yesterday. I was surprised as I've never see them on the secondary market so I snatched it up. I'll be picking it up this Friday. I'm looking forward to comparing this to the iPhono 2 over the weekend.

russk, SandAndGlass, bajaed and 2 others like this.
  23. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

24. Strat-Mangler

Could we have a list of the preamps you iPhono 2 owners compared it to?

I think that'd be extremely helpful to those on the fence (which includes a friend of mine).

bluemooze and displayname like this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Got mine today and thus have only listened to it shortly but I can say already now that this is something out of the ordinary. Don't want to try to go into detail because in all fairness I can't, but I'm impressed. One question to owners: are the 3 leds supposed to light all the time? I should think that the play sign was only supposed to light up whenever a signal was passing through?

Joe Spivey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.